(FOUND) LF Silver Face vintage amplifier/tuner/receiver

Anything that is not Arcade related
Jays
MAACA Collaborator

(FOUND) LF Silver Face vintage amplifier/tuner/receiver

Postby Jays » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 pm

I am looking for a vintage amplifier/tuner/receiver around 50wpc or more!
Attachments
IMG_9641.JPG
Last edited by Jays on Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redketchup
MAACA Death Knight

Re: LF Silver Face vintage amplifier/tuner/receiver

Postby redketchup » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:36 am

I will have one for sales in a couple week... still don't know wich one, but i'm testing right now! I still don't know wich one a prefer! Vintage reveiver are awesome!

I have a sony str-7055
IMG_4190.JPG

And a marantz 2252
IMG_4254.JPG
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Filght 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Iron maiden, Stargazer, Viper, Metallica Pro, Wurlitzer 700, 750e, Rockola 1428, seeburg HF 100R
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:37 am

I too love the Silver Face Receivers from the 70's and 80's. My stereo setup from University days onwards for over 25 years was the Denon DRA-600 Receiver:
2016-08-17-15.15.37.jpg

Sadly, it got killed by a trans-Atlantic move (my stuff got stuck in a unheated Customs shed in Montreal during -30 degree weather, and the electronics were damaged). I was heart-broken, but managed to get it repaired at Bay Bloor in Toronto. The guy said that the problem was that there's an output suppression chip that is supposed to silence the amplifier while the power-supply stabilizes at turn-on (to avoid hearing a "click" in the speakers), and that chip died, so no output. He said the chip is unobtainum, but managed to source one last one to repair my receiver. It worked fine for another 5-years, and then died again in the same way, so I bought another one on Ebay, but the second one turned out to have been less gently-loved than mine, and it too died after a couple of years (as I recall, it stopped being able to tune in FM stations). I finally bit the bullet and bought a more modern amplifier (also a Denon: I love their sound!)

Here's a page on the DRA-300, it's baby sister (only 30 watts instead of 60), but otherwise identical in appearance:
http://www.tmraudio.com/product/tmr-949
Would really love to resurrect this guy again someday.
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Nineball, Seawitch, Lightning, Cheetah
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Catacomb, Solar Fire, Balls-a-Poppin Seawitch backglass
Lust-worthy: Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Jays
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Jays » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 am

redketchup wrote:I will have one for sales in a couple week... still don't know wich one, but i'm testing right now! I still don't know wich one a prefer! Vintage reveiver are awesome!

I have a sony str-7055
IMG_4190.JPG

And a marantz 2252
IMG_4254.JPG

Keep me in touch!!! There is some nice silverface for sale on canukaudiomart, kijiji and there was a guys I met at the record show here in ottawa that I call, email many time but he seem to be too busy to sell. So now I am waiting for something interesting to come up and that marantz would probably be a good fit its a 52wpc I think.

Jays
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Jays » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:13 am

DrDude wrote:I too love the Silver Face Receivers from the 70's and 80's. I finally bit the bullet and bought a more modern amplifier (also a Denon: I love their sound!)

Silver face just look clean and classy! Love the one that have a brush finish with big knobs. I never heard any denon its now on my list to be heard one day! I had thorens, kenwood, pioneer, grundig, marantz, yamaha, sansui, etc. Some of my favorites but again depends on the type of music and what kind of speaker they are match with. I was sometime really impress with friends setup of different brands, era, I never heard of. Right now I got two nice Energy pro-22 to go with my next system.

That said I usually can do much of the repair work on my amp/receiver/speaker, but when I am stock or have no time there is 2 guy here in Ottawa that can do magic with everything. So if you want one day to resurrect one of your beloved and you got no time, etc. I will pass you their contact!

JBoom

Postby JBoom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:26 am

Old Marantz are awesome ... especially the tube amps.

Speaker wise I have a full set up from Totem Acoustics.

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 am

Jays wrote:
DrDude wrote:I too love the Silver Face Receivers from the 70's and 80's. I finally bit the bullet and bought a more modern amplifier (also a Denon: I love their sound!)

Silver face just look clean and classy! Love the one that have a brush finish with big knobs. I never heard any denon its now on my list to be heard one day! I had thorens, kenwood, pioneer, grundig, marantz, yamaha, sansui, etc. Some of my favorites but again depends on the type of music and what kind of speaker they are match with. I was sometime really impress with friends setup of different brands, era, I never heard of. Right now I got two nice Energy pro-22 to go with my next system.

Denon was (is) Japanese, and they were known for bringing out a selection of Super Class-A amplifiers in the late 70's, with amazingly clean all-transistor design. You are correct: Speakers are key! In 1980, when I got my first real job, I used all the money I saved to buy my setup:
    Denon DRA-600 Receiver
    B&W DM-12 Speakers
    Technics DBX-equipped Cassette Tapedeck
Each component cost $800, which was a lot of money in 1980! Anyways, the B&W speakers were amazing (and still are: I use them to this day), and you definitely needed at least 50watts/channel to service them.
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Nineball, Seawitch, Lightning, Cheetah
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Catacomb, Solar Fire, Balls-a-Poppin Seawitch backglass
Lust-worthy: Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Return to “Miscellaneous Buy and Sell / Items Variés Achat et recherche”