What are members expecting from MAACA in the future ?

Let us know what we can do to improve the forum.
Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

What are members expecting from MAACA in the future ?

Post by Azatotht »

(Français à suivre quand j'aurai 15 minutes, si quelqu'un veut se lancer et faire la traduction ce serait très apprécié)

Greetings to all, I've been a bit negative lately but had some great discussions over the weekend with members, both in person or via messages.

First of all I would like this thread to stay positive, trust me I have read all the comments so far, I always do, and I don't want to comment on these directly. If you feel the need to call me names, there are PM's for that and you are welcome to use them.

I am looking to find out what it would take to bring MAACA to a newer level by myself, what do you all want/need in term of pinball/arcade content or service. What are people getting on MAACA and what would they like to get ? What would you use/buy/do if it was offered on MAACA directly rather than having to browse 10 different sites ? What would make this community complete ? What would save you time and/or money if it was available here ?

What I understand from the current situation:

1) People like this site/community and would like to keep it going as it is
2) This site is and has been useful to most people in order to get either help to fix, buy, sell or meet new people.
3) MAACA keeps COLLECTORS connected to each other. This is what I've seen and been told a lot since last week.
4) People wants it to be free
5) Some people dont like ads
6) Some people find the site ugly with ads
7) People gets very emotional when (profit, revenue, money) is involved or discussed.
8) Lot's are ready to help but not all in the same ways.

What I want to clarify:

1) I am not looking for donations. I don't want money if there are no reasons for it. Hence having the ads to pay for hosting, and dont worry, I don't need money for hosting.
2) If 1 is all that you cared and wanted to know, no need to read further.
3) I am willing to invest time and effort into pushing this community further in terms of service, but will be looking for something in return too. I understood that people didn't want this gone or sold to a corporation, I am fine with that but it is time to make it evolve a bit in that case.

Alright so that being said, please post and discuss what you would like to see/have on this site in terms of content and services. I am not looking at how I should charge for membership or stuff like that.. this simply won't work (read #4 again).

Also, I would like to keep the forum as it is right now, this what you all like so I think this is important to think services/network rather than adding stuff to the forum.

Here's a few ideas that crossed my mind in the last months, in no particular order. Some might involved more work than others, some might even involve YOU the members.

1) Adding a blog for those who likes reading/writing articles format. Forums are great to discuss but I've noticed a lot's of folks are running their own blogs in order to go further or simply to avoid the forum drama/comments. Something like http://www.maaca.org/blog/ which would be completely separated from the forum but still linked through headers and look. A blog can have multiple accounts so every members interested to help could have his own account and post articles but this would be on the same blog, just different posters. This would bring more content and also more people out of the Google searches. Same format with a few ads, accounts not related to your MAACA handle, could blog under your own name. Articles could be linked to discussion threads on the forum and vice-versa. Could have different sections (technical, reviews, etc)

2) Pictures database ? Lot's of pictures are uploaded on MAACA every day but they are linked to a thread only. Would it be useful to have some kind of an image database, where images could be tagged by games/companies and the like ? Similar to ipdb but simpler ? Why you ask ? Well because ipdb images are owned by them, if they go offline everything is lost.. same for Pinside. This could give MAACA it's own machines database. We could decide what we want out of that, do we want a rating system or just a pictures database ? Do we want to add a 'canadian price guide' to that ? How should we set that suggested price ? Have members vote on a price range for a machine ? Not sure that's useful, just throwing ideas.

3) Parts ? Do we want a separate MAACA online store ? http://www.maaca.org/parts/ ? What parts do members wants that maybe I could do a bulk buy on and make this worthwhile for you and me ? Rubbers ? Lights ? i think there is not much profit into these but maybe I'm wrong. Are you willing to SUPPLY parts for sale in that store ? Do you have a unique product that could be exclusively sold through MAACA ? I know t-shirts are not bringing money.. LOL

4) A market place like Pinside ? A separate classifieds section with insertion fee ? We keep the current free one but add another classifieds script for those willing to announce without the forum drama ? Like http://www.maaca.org/marketplace/ which has nothing to do with the forum ?

5) Throw your own ideas please and keep it civilized, think out of the box, we want this forum to stay as it is and improve around it.

Have a great day everyone and thanks to all for your support. Positive as well as negative comments are what make this evolve in my mind.

Sylvain
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: What are members expecting from MAACA in the future ?

Post by WARLOCK »

I like maaca and believe the admins do a great job AZ.
Suggestions and improvements are always great.
All the very best.
That is all.

ShootAgain
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by ShootAgain »

English version *** La version française suit *** :D

I think it would be awesome to add the following sections:

Repair/Fix Section:
I think forums like maaca are a great source of help to get information about how to fix/troubleshoot our machines. It would be awesome if we could take some pics and document a little bit more any issues we have with our machines. A few collectors are already doing it and I really think that it is one of the best aspect of a pinball forum like maaca. It is hard to really enjoy this hobby if our machines don't work properly.

Pinball Collection Section:
I would like a section à la PinballOwners where you can post pics and details of your current collection but also from your previous machines (Pin/vid).
Our signature is currently the only place to add this information.
I am proud of the machines that I have and the ones that I had too. I would like to see what other fellow collectors have/had in their line-up. It creates opportunities to learn more about a machine and for a potential buy/trade transaction. Our machines were sometimes owned by one or more maaca members and I always enjoy the stories behind the machines.

Pinball Mods/Restoration Section:
I like to pimp my machines. I think that LEDs and the bunch of different mods available on the market is a good way to personalize the machine. I am always amazed to see how the same title can have a completely different look once they are modded. I am also amazed to see the talent of some maaca member when they restore a game. The before and after pics are always very interesting..

Anyway, it was 2 cents.
Maaca is already awesome the way it is but I am sure it can be improved to reflect even more the members.

Version française *** The English version precedes ***

Je pense qu'il serait génial d'ajouter les sections suivantes:

Section Réparation/troubleshoot:
Je pense que des forums comme maaca sont une grande source d'aide pour obtenir des informations sur la façon de réparer/ dépanner nos machines. Ce serait superl si nous pouvions prendre quelques photos et documenter un peu plus tous les problèmes que nous avons avec nos machines. Quelques collectionneurs le font déjà et je pense vraiment c'est l'un des meilleurs aspects d'un forum comme maaca. Il est difficile de vraiment profiter de ce passe-temps si nos machines ne fonctionnent pas correctement..

Section Collection:
Je voudrais une section à la PinballOwners où on pourrais publier des photos et des détails de notre collection actuelle, mais aussi de nos machines précédentes (Pin / vid).
Notre signature est actuellement le seul endroit pour ajouter cette information.
Je suis fier des machines que je possède et aussi de ceux que j'ai possédés. Je suis toujours intéressé de voir ce que les autres les autres collectionneurs ont / ont eu dans leur line-up. Je crois que c'est une bonne façon d'en apprendre davantage sur une machine et pour ça peut créer un potential pour d'éventuel achats/échanges. Nos machines ont parfois appartenus à un ou plusieurs membres de maaca et j'apprécie toujours connaitre les histoires derrière les machines.

Section mofification / restauration:
J'aime "pimper" mes machines. Je pense que les LED et la panoplie de différents mods disponibles sur le marché est un bon moyen de personnaliser les machines. Je suis toujours étonné de voir comment le même titre peut avoir un look complètement différent une fois qu'ils sont moddés. Je suis également étonné de voir le talent de certains membres de maaca quand ils restaurent une machine. Les photos du avant et aprèsotos sont toujours très intéressantes ..

Quoi qu'il en soit, c'était mon opinion..
Maaca est déjà génial la façon dont il est, mais je suis sûr qu'il peut être amélioré afin de refléter encore plus les membres.
Last edited by ShootAgain on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's only Pinball! Carry on, BUCKO!

numero 6
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by numero 6 »

Que ce genre de message plus complexe et plus important soit aussi disponible en français. Je parle pas juste en mon nom...
I'm not here for a competition. I'm here to share and a passion of hobby.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

numero 6 wrote:Que ce genre de message plus complexe et plus important soit aussi disponible en français. Je parle pas juste en mon nom...
Ca va me faire plaisir de traduire quand je vais avoir deux minutes (ou 15 !) désolé.. J'ai écrit directement.. je suis conscient de cela et je suis sensible à cette demande ;-)

numero 6
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by numero 6 »

Azatotht wrote:
numero 6 wrote:Que ce genre de message plus complexe et plus important soit aussi disponible en français. Je parle pas juste en mon nom...
Ca va me faire plaisir de traduire quand je vais avoir deux minutes (ou 15 !) désolé.. J'ai écrit directement.. je suis conscient de cela et je suis sensible à cette demande ;-)
Je sais que tu fais ton gros possible et que tu ne peux pas te subdiviser, c'est apprécié. Je tient à préciser ce n'était aucunement un reproche, je répondais au trade. Ton ajout va calmer le jeu ;) .

Merci.
I'm not here for a competition. I'm here to share and a passion of hobby.

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

I have been a member of many forums and a staff member at many others. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I'm just trying to provide some background so that you know that I'm not talking out of my ass. First I'll address your numbered points.

1) I love this community. I have met so many great people and so many people that want to share, and help out.
2) This site has been invaluable to me for keeping my pins up and running.
3) This site keeps collectors together and allows new collectors like myself to grow.
4) Free is best.
5) I hate ads, but for MAACA I don't mind them at all. I'm glad we don't have to endure video pop-up ads.
6) Ads need to be at the forefront of a website. Yeah they are ugly, but they are a necessary evil.
7) People are invested into this hobby/business. I personally don't mind when people are emotional. It shows they care.
8) I'm ready to help, but I'm not sure how you want me to help out.

Personally I think PREV and MAACA should amalgamate into one forum, but I'm not familiar with the history between the two websites and I believe there was some conflict in the past? I don't need to know the details, but to me, having two forums like this just divides your membership and results in repetition of posts on both websites. One forum we all called home would be better.

The forum is fine as it is. Yeah, it could use a fresh coat of paint, but a re-design would just have everyone bitching about things they liked better on the old site. Also new paint isn't going to bring in more members. PREV had a redesign and it's gone very very quiet over there. MAACA is a forum. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.

The way I look at it is there are two types of forums;

1) A small forum with limited growth potential that consists of a solid group of core members that are willing to go above and beyond for each other. MAACA is a perfect example of this.
2) A large forum with lots of potential growth and thousands of members. Most of whom know nothing and a core handful that know a lot. Pinside is a perfect example of this.

The world doesn't need another Pinside. I'm not even sure we need the first one...

Maybe you could explain what is your ultimate goal with MAACA is Az?

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Just to keep things clear, PBRev has been created by people who were not happy about the way MAACA was run and wanted to run their own thing. It is what they are doing and it is fine like that.

There is nothing I can do about it. Sorry.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

FiftyQuid wrote: Maybe you could explain what is your ultimate goal with MAACA is Az?
Still working on that, after 12 years the goal seems to be changing every now and then ;-) I don't even know anymore..

That's why I am looking for feedback, thanks for sharing your opinion, it is much appreciated.

This is just like an old couple having to rethink their relationship after a while..

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

Personally I think PREV and MAACA should amalgamate into one forum

:FP: :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah ! can you get that running Aza?!

Seriously, I think it's all a geographic: RGP and pinside exist yet it's "too big" ... I believe a "local" group of friends was what MAACA (you know, MONTREAL ARCADE & AMUSEMENT COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION) was and is all about! and I think the 2 forums was just a "provincial split" because let's face it, on est différent ! :twisted:

For maaca: less drama, more fun ! we're collectors and we talk about our wares and own to keep 'em running.

+1 pour la section "fix/réparation"... on pourrait l'appeller "Sylvain's corner" :D
un rating sur les games pourrait être cool ? (...et une interminable source de discussion!)
un rating/feedback sur les vendeurs, ET LES ACHETEURS pourrait aussi être bien ?
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

monty
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by monty »

FiftyQuid wrote:MAACA is a forum. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.
+1

for me personally i am not sure if MAACA needs to evolve in any way. it is all about the people/membership and content of posts, both of which are great. some good suggestions so far though, but most are 'nice to have' versus 'need to have'.

i will make an effort to click an Ad once in awhile and i hope other users will continue to do so.

eh97ac
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by eh97ac »

I came for the free beer :drunk

Ads do not bother me, I'd also watch a forced video ad once in a while instead of having to click ads
More deals from MAACA retailers.
New retailers added so I can keep my pinball money in Canada. Beatmaster in Beauharnois would be a great addition
MAACA sponsored group buy's
More Free Beer!

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Mrhide wrote:un rating/feedback sur les vendeurs, ET LES ACHETEURS pourrait aussi être bien ?
En test présentement.. un système de réputation basé sur différentes choses.

In the work.. testing right now.

Pinball.Customs
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Pinball.Customs »

Mrhide wrote:

and I think the 2 forums was just a "provincial split" because let's face it, on est différent ! :twisted:
This assumption always makes me scratch my head.. a lot of people from Quebec assume PBRev was created because we hate the French. That's just silly.. heck, I'm a Habs fan! PBrev was simply created to offer a "different point of view" on how a forum should be run -- essentially following the same model as CGCC, which I also helped run for years.

That said, because of these conflicting models, an amalgamation will never happen. However I've mentioned in the past (both openly and privately) that I'm more than delighted to team up on projects and sponsorships.

Canada is a big country, there's room for 2 forums. And neither Az nor myself will be insulted if certain members choose one board over the other.

- B
http://www.pinballcustoms.com

CHECK OUT MY BLOG! PB Customs' Whacky Mod Hacktorium!

Maker of hand-made pinball mods since 2008!

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Fifty »

Pinball.Customs wrote:
Mrhide wrote:

and I think the 2 forums was just a "provincial split" because let's face it, on est différent ! :twisted:
This assumption always makes me scratch my head.. a lot of people from Quebec assume PBRev was created because we hate the French.
There are other reasons to hate the French. With a last name like Beland I know what I'm talking about. ;)

I think I'm still one of the newish members around here so I can definitely say that I have never made this assumption. I just assumed it was a geographical thing. Besides, we all know the Big Smoke is the center of the universe. :lol: In case it's not clear, I'm just joking around.

In all seriousness, I just assumed Toronto had a forum and Montreal had one. I figured both forums existed because of the different regions. It's funny because I actually found MAACA through CGCC and then found PREV through MAACA.

Anyway, I didn't mean to pour salt into any wounds. I enjoy both forums and the community on both shared or not.

spiroagnew
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by spiroagnew »

Mrhide wrote:I believe a "local" group of friends was what MAACA (you know, MONTREAL ARCADE & AMUSEMENT COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION) was and is all about! and I think the 2 forums was just a "provincial split" because let's face it, on est différent !
So, instead of celebrating differences, you'd rather shut everyone else out? That's a very polarizing view...and one that hurts the community as a whole. I know full well, being a member on this site for quite some time, that the views of MrHide do not reflect the views of the site or the admins, but it's a view that exists for many collectors on both sides of the ON/QC border--most of the time unspoken or just taken as historical fact without discussion. I've always been for "getting the band back together," as it were, but as it has been discussed prior, it just won't/can't happen, and the divide will always be there. Some bridge the gap and post dual-provincially, Fifty Quid, Sylvain, for example, but others, whose opinions I respect and would love to interact with more, don't...and the simple fact is, I'm not on here as frequently as I am on the other site (admin duties aside).

Also, a lot of new collectors seem to pop up on the other Canadian site far more than here it seems...is that because of regional boundaries or that attitude of MACCA being a "local" group? Or is it because many noobs are simply poachers, lurking around, looking only to pounce on FS threads? Further, I think EVEN MORE new collectors bypass BOTH Canadian sites and shuttle along straight to Pinside...which is a globalization problem unto itself, and something I am guilty of doing, too. Pinside is the Wal-Mart of the hobby.

As for the suggestions in the first post, I think the photo bank idea would be fantastic. You could link general pictures of games as well as teardown pics...always helpful. ShootAgain's idea of adding a "Collection" tab to our profiles where we can enter the games in our collection would be helpful as well...it would clean up signatures. Sadly, both of these features are key aspects of Pinside...and I don't think MAACA needs to be more like Pinside...

Finally:
Mrhide wrote:For maaca: less drama, more fun !
Don't kid yourself. Everyone has their fair share.
Rob
creditdotpinball.com

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Fifty »

spiroagnew wrote:Pinside is the Wal-Mart of the hobby.
This is awesome. Pinside should use this instead of their "SPREADING PINBALL, CONNECTING PINHEADS WORLDWIDE!" slogan. :lol:

a.stebel
MAACA New Contributor

Post by a.stebel »

Macca has served me so well since it was created. Bought lots of goodies off the classifieds. Solved problems from the tech posts. Met some people. Enjoy seeing all the gameroom pics. Pretty much all I need from a board.

Only thing I have had problems with is interesting topics in French. I got to grade 12 French but it can be tough to get the full gist of the conversation. Sorry, I am Ontario based.
Pins: Fish Tales, White Water, Johnny Mnemonic, Simpsons Pinball Party, Lord Of The Rings, The Shadow, STTNG,
Indiana Jones '93, Twilight Zone, Ripley's Believe It Or Not!, Cirqus Voltaire, Roadshow, Congo,
World Poker Tour, Wizard of Oz LE, X-Men LE Wolverine, Fire! and POPEYE

Wanted: Fire! Parts

Vids: Blitz / NBA

Super Chexx.

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

spiroagnew wrote:
Mrhide wrote:I believe a "local" group of friends was what MAACA (you know, MONTREAL ARCADE & AMUSEMENT COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION) was and is all about! and I think the 2 forums was just a "provincial split" because let's face it, on est différent !
So, instead of celebrating differences, you'd rather shut everyone else out?
nope: I am shutting nobody out, they left!

and we actually have very nice people from around the world that enjoy this forum (hi Pingeorge from Germany!) so my comments are indeed to be taken like ...my comments! We should meet ;) ... you would understand!
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Fifty »

a.stebel wrote: Only thing I have had problems with is interesting topics in French. I got to grade 12 French but it can be tough to get the full gist of the conversation. Sorry, I am Ontario based.
I agree. Google translator doesn't know pinball speak very well.

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Drano »

FiftyQuid wrote:
a.stebel wrote: Only thing I have had problems with is interesting topics in French. I got to grade 12 French but it can be tough to get the full gist of the conversation. Sorry, I am Ontario based.
I agree. Google translator doesn't know pinball speak very well.

I expect this problem goes both ways... not everyone here is fluent in English either.
So, seems we are all sometimes confused or excluded. I'm okay with that... makes me stretch my brain a little now and then.
Now that's equality baby! 8-)

Bagdad
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Bagdad »

Peut-être juste avoir un Marketplace plus propre, c'est un peu le bordel je dois dire.

Ya plein de trucs "sold" ou "remove me" etc. Difficile de se retrouver.

Pourquoi pas avoir des icones comme sur PinRev, ou juste mettre tout ce qui est vendu ailleurs?
Own:Who Dunnit / Black Knight SOR premium / Baywatch / Junk Yard / Houdini / Bram Stoker's Dracula
Looking for: Black Rose
Gone: Diner / Hurricane

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Tout ce qui est vendu est généralement mis dans la section "SOLD"... Si c'est encore dans une section, c'est qu'on l'a pas vu ou eu le temps de le faire.

juztbecause
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by juztbecause »

Azatotht wrote: 2) This site is and has been useful to most people in order to get either help to fix, buy, sell or meet new people.
Exactly this.
Sadly the last member I meet I couldn't stay and try his pins :oops: I was sick and temporarily lost my vision on the ride back home :FP: , but from the short time I spent with him I could tell he was a good guy with similar interest.

Lots of good folks here and I'm not overly social so for me this site works very well. :)
Fun Fact: Why even eat Corn? It comes out just the same. We might as well eat pennies or little watch batteries. It would serve the same function.