CPS2 Cabinet rework

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
Espo1713
MAACA New Contributor

CPS2 Cabinet rework

Post by Espo1713 »

I picked up a cabinet for x men vs street fighter. Wiring is a mess. Wondering what the easiest way to test the cps2 module to see if it works and if the monitor looks salvageable or if it would be better to change to LCD (if adaptable to that game). Never rellaced a monitor before so any suggestions on wiring diagram would be great.

Thanks
Attachments
20170111_183547.jpg

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Re: CPS2 Cabinet rework

Post by Mrhide »

best way to test the CPS2 is to plug it in ...a jamma cabinet that works ;) or come over and plug it into mine. where are you located? edit your profile to show it ...it helps here ;)

LCD: no you can't without the help of an external board.

looks like there are 2 boards set for the monitor? ... so the previous owner, or is that you?, tried to connect the monitor to another set of boards?

carefull ... monitors can hurt.
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Espo1713
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Espo1713 »

I'm From Windsor. I've read that these CPS2 units can 'suicide' if the internal battery isnt replaced every 3 years or so. Is this common? I bought this from a hotel lobby yesterday so the original owners dont know much about it or how long its been out of commission. Looks like a long time.

The controls also look a little sketchy with some cut wires. what is a good spot to order replacemnet monitors and jamma harness'? The original board looks like its cracked and they tried to add a different board. going to try and fire it up tonight to see if it goes but doesnt look promising.

Espo1713
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Espo1713 »

Another question i have is about the monitor. The power supply goes right to the monitor board with no power supply box i can find. Is this normal for a 1996 unit?

Espo1713
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Espo1713 »

Got the Cabinet up and running with the help of this site. Ended up using a Pandoras box 4, a newJAMMA harness and a 26"LCD computer monitor. Quick and cost effective first build.
I kept the original CPS2 A&B boards and original harness' with all the quick connects - battery is removed from board and ROMS were re-programmed but couldn't test because of compatibility with monitor. Anyone interested in the CPS2 unit for X Men vs Street Fighter send me a PM
Cab Picture.png
CPS2.png