First time in Allentown

Talk about anything that you would like.
kicknhard
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:15 am
Location: Trois-Rivières

First time in Allentown

Postby kicknhard » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi!

I'm thinking about going to the pinball show in Allentown for the first time. Normally, do the vendors sell their stuff cheaper than we can see online or it's the same?

I don't want to buy a machine, I'm just curious to see what the show is, I want to play many pinball machines and buy some parts if I found some. Talk and drink some beers with people. Does it worth the trip for someone like me?
mes pinballs: demolition man, black rose, funhouse, the shadow, tales from the crypt, white water, world cup soccer

User avatar
Drano
MAACA Barbarian
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby Drano » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:06 am

It's my favorite show. Just a good atmosphere. Lots to play and buy (if you chose to) and some vendors do have show specials. I just love the flea market and scouring boxes for neat stuff. Old to new, you will find it here.

User avatar
cooke
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 3515
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: London, Ontario

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby cooke » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 am

Honestly, most parts aren't priced at a discount. The only real savings are the shipping costs, especially on big things like legs and glass.

I usually whip up a large marco order prior to the show. They'll bring it with them for you to pick up.

The best aspect of the show is the flea market and the treasure trove of used parts, parts machines and projects, if that's your thing. And the Farmer's Market.

User avatar
sensfreak
MAACA Priest
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:54 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby sensfreak » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:55 pm

The Farmer's Market is a highlight for me. The flea market as others mentioned is great as well. If you check the PinFest website for the list of vendors. They will most likely bring you stuff if you buy in advance.
Have:
CV, SST, TZ, TAV Hulk LE, MMR LE, RZSSI in the house

Looking For:
LOTR, TOM, and TOTAN.
http://www.pinballowners.com/sensfreak


shovelhed
MAACA Mage
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON
Contact:

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby shovelhed » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:58 am

I've never been either, but am going this year. I suppose I need to find a where to stay, too!

User avatar
cooke
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 3515
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: London, Ontario

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby cooke » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:22 am

shovelhed wrote:I've never been either, but am going this year. I suppose I need to find a where to stay, too!


I suggest you get on it.

User avatar
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 21609
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm
Location: Saint-Lazare, west of MTL

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby Sparky » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:43 am

Just join us over there. Come have a beer. You will have a great time! Book a room at the Ramada... most guys from QC are staying there.
OWN: shit. PAST: shit. LF: more shit.

The silverball shines her eternal glory upon us all!!! Amen, hallelujah!

shovelhed
MAACA Mage
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON
Contact:

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby shovelhed » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 am

Sparky wrote:Just join us over there. Come have a beer. You will have a great time! Book a room at the Ramada... most guys from QC are staying there.

I am planning to with a friend.
Do you typically go Thursday or Fri am til Sat? Is there enough to see for a couple visits?

User avatar
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 21609
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm
Location: Saint-Lazare, west of MTL

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby Sparky » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:20 am

shovelhed wrote:
Sparky wrote:Just join us over there. Come have a beer. You will have a great time! Book a room at the Ramada... most guys from QC are staying there.

I am planning to with a friend.
Do you typically go Thursday or Fri am til Sat? Is there enough to see for a couple visits?


I usually drive in on Thursday and leave on Sunday. Some drive in on Friday, some leave Saturday night...

Plenty around to do.
OWN: shit. PAST: shit. LF: more shit.

The silverball shines her eternal glory upon us all!!! Amen, hallelujah!

User avatar
Drano
MAACA Barbarian
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby Drano » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:22 am

I like to sleep in my own bed Saturday night and be home on Sunday... so arriving at the show Thursday night and leaving around mid-day Saturday usually works well for me.

User avatar
Lowrent
MAACA Barbarian
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:06 pm
Location: Saint-Lambert

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby Lowrent » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Drano wrote:I like to sleep in my own bed Saturday night and be home on Sunday... so arriving at the show Thursday night and leaving around mid-day Saturday usually works well for me.


^^ THIS ^^

User avatar
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 21609
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm
Location: Saint-Lazare, west of MTL

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby Sparky » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Lowrent wrote:
Drano wrote:I like to sleep in my own bed Saturday night and be home on Sunday... so arriving at the show Thursday night and leaving around mid-day Saturday usually works well for me.


^^ THIS ^^


Yeah... but for us that have a few kids (some being early risers) and for those that also don't get to travel much other than with the family, it is nice to get some ZZzzz's on a weekend and make it a personal vacation. Makes for a brief yet welcome escape.

(cue Azatotht to say ^^ THIS ^^ LOL)
OWN: shit. PAST: shit. LF: more shit.

The silverball shines her eternal glory upon us all!!! Amen, hallelujah!

User avatar
Azatotht
Admins
Posts: 8309
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm
Location: Anjou (Montreal)
Contact:

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby Azatotht » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Sparky wrote: it is nice to get some ZZzzz's on a weekend and make it a personal vacation. Makes for a brief yet welcome escape.


^^ THIS ^^

^^ IS ^^

^^ SO ^^

^^ TRUE ^^
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.

User avatar
Drano
MAACA Barbarian
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby Drano » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:17 pm

I travel too much... but I sympathize for sure. I have young kids at home too.

Sometimes waking up in that hotel and sleeping as long as you wanted without anyone jumping on the bed (aside from Azatotht) is pure heaven.

User avatar
cooke
MAACA Death Knight
Posts: 3515
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: London, Ontario

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby cooke » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Drano wrote:I travel too much... but I sympathize for sure. I have young kids at home too.

Sometimes waking up in that hotel and sleeping as long as you wanted without anyone jumping on the bed (aside from Azatotht) is pure heaven.


.... until you vomit all over it.

User avatar
ethous
MAACA Warrior
Posts: 1968
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 pm
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: First time in Allentown

Postby ethous » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Well I just decided to go to down this year.
Ottawa Arcade and amusement Operator.
Working and Collecting and restoring since 1996.
Ottawa Arcade and Pinball Technician!!
I also repair computers and hard drive Images.
Source of mame roms if ever needed in Ottawa.



Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Azatotht, DrDude, eh97ac, ethous, megadeth1977, Patrab and 7 guests