What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
uncleboo
MAACA Collaborator

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Postby uncleboo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Hey Shane

Wow those stairs do look a little scary lol
Congrats man and enjoy your new pin !
Happy New year buddy
Pins
FISH TALES
EMBRYON
MATA HARI
BALLY SPEAK EASY - (looking for a trade)
GALAXY

shane
MAACA Mage

Postby shane » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:05 pm

uncleboo wrote:Hey Shane

Wow those stairs do look a little scary lol
Congrats man and enjoy your new pin !
Happy New year buddy

A little scary?

without griptape they are a wheelchair salesmans best friend.

Happy new year to you to.
I think 2017 is a EM and video year. Back to basics.
Shane.

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:31 pm

At least the staircase is straight? :)
BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan), DE Jurassic Park (loan)
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Centigrade 37, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: R-Type (w/ship), Strider, Spy Hunter (cockpit), Tetris
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

shane
MAACA Mage

Postby shane » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:21 pm

cait001 wrote:At least the staircase is straight? :)

Agreed. I remember Alpha and that staircase!

My friend still has it!! (no stairs) . :D
Shane.

MCS
MAACA Collaborator

Postby MCS » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:15 am

To console myself after the Team Canada loss, I went downstairs to play some Stars only to discover that the machine was tilting far more easily than it should have been. I opened her up to discover that not one, but two light sockets have become detached. (One is the WOW light that I'm still working on lighting up, so hadn't noticed; the other is the left inner lane that I knew was faulty after my LED-replacement attempt, but was attached the last time I put the glass in. It's the one triggering the TILT.)

As a newbie, I consider this an accomplishment. Guess it's time to learn how to solder. Any tips?

semicolin
MAACA Mage

Postby semicolin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:38 am

MCS wrote:Any tips?

When it comes to the iron, just the tip and only for a few seconds!
But seriously, soldering is something you'll learn by doing. Make sure your iron is properly tinned (you can learn this on youtube) and you'll figure it out. This is light sockets, not electronics, so they're pretty heat-tolerant. Make sure your machine is off and unplugged, never solder live.
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames, Bally Centaur

MCS
MAACA Collaborator

Postby MCS » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:54 am

Thanks, semicolin!

Honey Badger
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Honey Badger » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:38 am

semicolin wrote:just the tip and only for a few seconds!

:lol:
For Sale: Nothing :D
WTB: Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Iron Maiden, Vampire, Superman

"You're either with us or against us"

"Guilty by association"

monkeybug
MAACA Death Knight

Postby monkeybug » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:53 pm

MCS wrote:As a newbie, I consider this an accomplishment. Guess it's time to learn how to solder. Any tips?

Invest in a good temperature controlled soldering iron.

Here is some reading: http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/#intro2

MCS
MAACA Collaborator

Postby MCS » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks, monkeybug! Looks like a very useful article.
"What's romano?"
"It's a cheese."
"And why do I care about it?"
- Best exchange I ever heard at Carrabba's

semicolin
MAACA Mage

Postby semicolin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:29 am

I've had one hell of a crazy weekend, and the entire thing has revolved around pinball, which hasn't been great for my pocketbook or the dishes that are piling up in my kitchen, but I think we all get to indulge once in awhile.

Friday afternoon I went on a rescue mission to save this lovely Tag Team from an unheated storage unit on unsealed concrete. It had only been there for a few weeks and didn't have a chance to get destroyed. The backglass and playfield are hella dirty but that it's nothing that can't be buffed out. Almost no play wear at all, but it's obviously had some run-ins with dodgy operators, with wood screws replacing wirework, incorrectly sized rubbers, and the original drop targets replaced entirely with ones from who knows what game.

1.JPG
Gottlieb Tag Team Backglass

2.JPG
Gottlieb Tag Team Playfield

Saturday I brought Cait001's Sinbad out of my basement and delivered it to another friend who will hopefully enjoy it as much or more than I did. After that I headed to Targ for Ukrainian New Year celebrations with Ukrainia and Bad Uncle.

Sunday morning, after not enough sleep, I slammed back some caffeine-based performance enhancement fuel, headed to the Neighbourhood Pub to compete in the tournaments. I did better than I expected in the classics, and as well as I deserved on the EMs. The photo below is between rounds; there were over fifty competitors. Really great to see so many old and new faces, and meet many folks from MAACA in person.

3.JPG
The Neighbourhood Pub Tournament

I stopped by Steamfitter's house after the tournament to pick up a replacement for a shorted coil in the Tag Team. The old one had a apparent desire to self-liquify.

4.JPG
Shorted A-5194 coil

5.JPG
Now there's your problem

And off to find the culprit; it was most likely either a bad playfield 2N5879 transistor or a bad MPS-U45. After isolating the playfield transistors, the meter never lies: the problem was upstream. A quick poke at the driver board later and I find the culprit: Q13 was an unlucky numbered transistor, and one of the stages of the op-amp is shorted internally to ground, causing the coil to lock on when the game is powered.

Time to order up some components.

6.JPG
Gottlieb System 80B driver board work
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames, Bally Centaur

Lowrent
MAACA Barbarian

Postby Lowrent » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:17 pm

I hosted an evening with old time friends last saturday. Everybody has kids now and we ended up being 9 adults and 8 kids in my house *sigh*.
Needless to say, the 5 little boys spent most of their time downstairs, bashing the flipper buttons for 5-6 hours.
I expected the worst but everything held up nicely.

The only thing I had to fix is a pop bumper on the High Speed that stopped working because of a bad contact in the big black connector connecting the playfield switches to the head.

Joce
MAACA Priest

Postby Joce » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:53 am

I thought the race track was dark. So I added some light.....
Attachments
Corvette pinball petit.jpg

semicolin
MAACA Mage

Postby semicolin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Pretty much finished the overhaul on the Gottlieb Tag Team that I picked up a few weeks ago.

1. Reworked the driver board
  2. Replaced burnt solenoid
  3. Rebuilt the flippers and pop bumpers
  4. Replaced the drop targets
  5. Removed the drywall screws
  6. Replaced the rubbers
  7. Scrubbed and waxed the playfield
  8. Upgraded to LEDs
  9. Fired the flux capacitors

Before:
IMG_4186.JPG

After:

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:53 pm

semicolin wrote:Pretty much finished the overhaul on the Gottlieb Tag Team that I picked up a few weeks ago.

Looks super! It'll play much nicer too when you set it on a slant greater than 2 degrees.
BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan), DE Jurassic Park (loan)
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Centigrade 37, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: R-Type (w/ship), Strider, Spy Hunter (cockpit), Tetris
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

Honey Badger
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Honey Badger » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 am

Looks good Colin. I had my Tag Team delivered this weekend and set up. Uncleboo came over last night and we played her and had a blast. Fun fun game!
Attachments
IMG_4136.JPG
WTB: Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Iron Maiden, Vampire, Superman

"Guilty by association"

semicolin
MAACA Mage

Postby semicolin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:49 pm

cait001 wrote:
semicolin wrote:Pretty much finished the overhaul on the Gottlieb Tag Team that I picked up a few weeks ago.

Looks super! It'll play much nicer too when you set it on a slant greater than 2 degrees.

It is set to the manufacturer recommended 5 degrees, section I. B. 8 on page 1 of the manual. So there.

semicolin
MAACA Mage

Postby semicolin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Honey Badger wrote:Looks good Colin. I had my Tag Team delivered this weekend and set up. Uncleboo came over last night and we played her and had a blast. Fun fun game!

Out of 1200 units, at least four of them are here in Ottawa. Most people have never touched this game, and all of the sudden a whole bunch of them are coming out of the woodwork. Crazy!

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:01 pm

I took out the trash.
Account deactivated

uberhare
MAACA Mage

Postby uberhare » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:51 pm

Picked up another Stargate! Much much nicer than my first. 12,500 plays on the audits and only $19 in earnings....Apparently HUO!
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, F2K, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, RCT, Cyclone (on loan, now with a certain screw removed)
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

monty
MAACA Barbarian

Postby monty » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:14 pm

is Tag Team part of the Premier "Steet Level" era? looks like a fun game.

Honey Badger wrote:Uncleboo came over last night and we played her and had a blast. Fun fun game!

let's hear more about that FREEFALL - have never seen that pin before!

Honey Badger
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Honey Badger » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Tag Team is a blast to play. The noise when you get a special is a Wrestling Bell. So friggin cool.

Freefall is the hardest game I've ever owned to achieve multi-ball. Super duper rare, I am the only collector that I know of that has one in Canada. I know there used to be a few floating around in the community up here but I'm not sure if any members still have one. If any members do have one PRESENTLY please speak up I'd love to know.

"Guilty by association"

semicolin
MAACA Mage

Postby semicolin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:49 pm

[quote="monty"]is Tag Team part of the Premier "Steet Level" era? looks like a fun game.

Nope- Tag Team was released in 1985, and was one of the first Premier titles. Street Level didn't occur until the 90s.

It is a fun game though! Come over any time to give it a whirl. I still have a little tuning to do on the bottom centre pop bumper but otherwise I'm really happy with how this project has turned out.

uncleboo
MAACA Collaborator

Postby uncleboo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Honey Badger wrote:Looks good Colin. I had my Tag Team delivered this weekend and set up. Uncleboo came over last night and we played her and had a blast. Fun fun game!

Yes I give tag team two thumbs up :D :D
A very fun rare muti ball game that I've never seen before !
I really liked the feature that when you have any of the 3 balls locked in the kick out holes and then You lose your ball down the left outlane that is lit with "last chance " it releases one of the locked balls and gives you a little more ball time achieve your multiball and make it a little more competitive against your buddy ,,

Thanks for having me over J

Dwight
Pins
FISH TALES
EMBRYON
MATA HARI
BALLY SPEAK EASY - (looking for a trade)
GALAXY

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:03 am

Honey Badger wrote: If any members do have one PRESENTLY please speak up I'd love to know.

HPR_Pinball has Sparky's old one (with a NOS backglass that we picked up directly from Mike Pacak in Allentown a few years ago if my memory is good).
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”