Arcade Monitor Troubleshoot

Talk about video games (vids) and consoles from your past and present!!
Hoser

Arcade Monitor Troubleshoot

Postby Hoser » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Hey There,

Got my first arcade machine a couple of weeks ago. It was working fine. I did not turn it on for the last week (too busy) and when I turned it on today, I had an odd problem.

- There are two monitors on this machine. They play different images for head to head play.

- One Monitor still works normal.

- The other has many flickering horizontal lines during gameplay, but not in menus. Also, half of the menus are normal. The other half of the time, there are some missing graphics or wrong colors.

*** I believe this is more of a board issue ... but could it be the monitor itself?

*** I have reseated all conectors and even pulled all ROMs of their sockets and reseated them too carefully. I had seen a few improvemts, but there seem to be even more flickering and horizontal lines during gameplay now. Again, the other monitor works just fine. Only one of the two are having issues, and they both are connected to the same board. Also, weird that it was working normally, and then after leaving it off for one week, it now has this problem.

Please steer me in the right direction. The game is Tournament Cyberball 2072.

Thank you.

mdeslaur
MAACA Collaborator

Re: Arcade Monitor Troubleshoot

Postby mdeslaur » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:47 pm

A picture would help, but by the description you're giving it does sound like a board issue.

You could try swapping the monitor cables and see if the problem switches to the other monitor...

Hoser

Postby Hoser » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks for responding.

Funny thing. I thought the exact some thing seconds before I read your post.

Sure enough, when I swapped sides the problem went to the other monitor. So ... not the monitor. Must be on the board.

Now, what could cause those intermittent horizontal lines from the board?

Keep in mind that it is only during gameplay. I also noticed that when the play starts (hiking a football) there are no lines. As the screen scrolls up or down, the lines flash like mad.

Also of note, the game worked fin last week. It had been in storage all winter. I picked it up, and waited 3 days in my heated garage for it to warm up before turning it on. Both screens worked normal then. Then a week later I turn it on and this problem. Could the extra days of warming/drying the machine cause something to fail?

Mindstorm88
MAACA Priest

Postby Mindstorm88 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Press on all Integrated circuit (ics) that are socketed

semicolin
MAACA Mage

Postby semicolin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:11 am

Yep, this sounds like components lifting and a bad connection. Seat all headers and ICs properly and give it another go.
Sharing my space with: Bally Spectrum(restoration), Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames, Bally Centaur

Hoser

Postby Hoser » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:10 pm

- Checked voltages on the board. Was at 4.90. Adjusted Switching Supply. Now at 5.02. I still have my issue.

- Also reseated all ROMs and associated RAM

On Self Test, the glitching side shows a garbled mess of many different colored squares while testing. But then no Error messages.

I am so bummed, as people are coming over in an hour.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

*** Also, can a bad capacitor on the board cause my issues? If so, one of the Blue Caps, or one of the tiny beige ones?

Hoser

Postby Hoser » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:29 pm

That first garbled picture is the self test on the side with issues. But there are no Error Messages after the test just that mess of colored squares at bootup. The other screen just cycles normal full screen colors.
Attachments
Self Test Bootup.JPG
Good Cutscene.JPG
Bad Cutscene.JPG
Good Play Menu.JPG
Bad Play Menu.JPG
Good Playfield.JPG
Bad Playfield.JPG

Return to “Video games and consoles”