Need help to trouble shoot a light problem

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
Laterreur
MAACA Valued Contributor

Need help to trouble shoot a light problem

Post by Laterreur »

Hi guys, I have the same problem on my fish tale and Hurricane. I have a complete row of lights dead (see picture). I checked and the voltage is 10 times higher on the line that have a problem (on the Hurricane).

What should be the next step? Is it a broken transistor on the board? What is the list of the root causes for that kind of bug?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG
My games : Tales of the arabian nights, Monster Bash original, Medieval Madness original, Attack from Mars original, Scared Stiff, Twilight Zone, Cyclone, Jokerz, Taxi, Middle earth, Star Wars episode 1, Revenge from mars, Medusa, Flash Gordon, Strike and spare, Nine ball, Demolition Man.
My EM Games: Picnic, Capt fantastic.
Wanted games : Champion Pub, Junk Yard, Congo, No good Goofer, Monster Bash original restored, Adams Family, Indiana Jones TPA, Cirqus Voltaire, Cactus Canyon

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Re: Need help to trouble shoot a light problem

Post by Mrhide »

Lights controlled by the CPU (not the General Illumination lights), are controlled in a
similar fashion as a switch matrix. That is, there are eight lamp rows, and eight lamp
columns. This gives a total of 64 CPU controllable lamps. These lamps are powered
by +18 volts DC. This voltage is strobed (turned on and off very quickly), and hence
the final power to the lamps is about 6 volts.
The lamp columns are controlled by TIP107 transistors that switch the +18 volts on
and off many times within a second. The lamp rows are controlled by TIP102
transistors that switch the ground on and off. Because the TIP107's source the
current (instead of sinking the ground like a TIP102), lamp column TIP107 transistors
go bad more often than TIP102 lamp row transistors.
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Laterreur
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Laterreur »

Thanks for the help. Do you know where I can find good "Do it yourself" videos that explain all this with real example?
My games : Tales of the arabian nights, Monster Bash original, Medieval Madness original, Attack from Mars original, Scared Stiff, Twilight Zone, Cyclone, Jokerz, Taxi, Middle earth, Star Wars episode 1, Revenge from mars, Medusa, Flash Gordon, Strike and spare, Nine ball, Demolition Man.
Wanted games : Champion Pub, Junk Yard, Congo, No good Goofer, Monster Bash original restored, Adams Family, Indiana Jones TPA, Cirqus Voltaire, Cactus Canyon

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

oui, ici :
http://www.pinrepair.com/top/

sont toutes bons :)

... et shoot moi ton courriel .... ma t'envoyer de quoi itou
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Laterreur
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Laterreur »

Merci!

4eyes
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by 4eyes »

I think that for your Fish Tales at least you'll likely find a bad / burnt connection on j120 / J121 on the driver board. You can follow the colour of wire to the connector from the backbox insert lamps.
AFM, STTNG, TZ, TOM, FH, WW, TAF, JP, EBD, DISE, FT, EHOH, ALIEN

Laterreur
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Laterreur »

It was a burned connector for the fish tale