LF best place to buy full size tricked out deluxe 4 player Mame ready cabinet

Mame Machines only please
rockstead

Re: LF best place to buy full size tricked out deluxe 4 player Mame ready cabinet

Postby rockstead » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:39 pm

Sparky wrote:
rockstead wrote:In fact I had left a deposit for DreamHomeArcades but then I joined arcadecontrols and learned about some horror stories and then I experienced my own when I learned that they angle the orientation of p3,p4 so that up is not towards the screen, this goes against the rules of any 4 player Arcade cabinet and is a mistake made often by first time builders, yet DreamHomeArcades does this on purpose. It would have ruined the experience for my p3,p4 and made smash tv, Karate Champ impossible.

The only way around this is a big-ass control panel that is well over 4 feet long. I have built a few. Cumbersome.

That's not what I am saying, players and sticks can be angled, but orientation of the sticks would be the same, even an angled player must move the stick up towards the screen an not ahead based on the angle they are standing at, every 4 player Arcade game like tmnt is done correctly like this, you don't see them having to make extra long panels and they maintain the correct controls.

shovelhed
MAACA Barbarian

Re: LF best place to buy full size tricked out deluxe 4 player Mame ready cabinet

Postby shovelhed » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:04 am

HPR Pinball wrote:It's possible but may cost a lot of money.
The ''real feeling'' means ''leafs joysticks and buttons'' right ??
The only games i know that command microswitches are fighting games.

And Nintendo! They didn't have leafs.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:42 am

rockstead wrote:
Sparky wrote:
rockstead wrote:In fact I had left a deposit for DreamHomeArcades but then I joined arcadecontrols and learned about some horror stories and then I experienced my own when I learned that they angle the orientation of p3,p4 so that up is not towards the screen, this goes against the rules of any 4 player Arcade cabinet and is a mistake made often by first time builders, yet DreamHomeArcades does this on purpose. It would have ruined the experience for my p3,p4 and made smash tv, Karate Champ impossible.

The only way around this is a big-ass control panel that is well over 4 feet long. I have built a few. Cumbersome.

That's not what I am saying, players and sticks can be angled, but orientation of the sticks would be the same, even an angled player must move the stick up towards the screen an not ahead based on the angle they are standing at, every 4 player Arcade game like tmnt is done correctly like this, you don't see them having to make extra long panels and they maintain the correct controls.

OK, but then that makes it weird for games like you mentioned, Smash TV/Total Carnage. The joysticks would be offset .

There is no perfect set-up for all games. So companies do their best to create a standard package. The thing is that for the 1 guy that is pissed that the joystick is on an angle, there are probably a lot more that are satisfied but just aren't vocal about it.

Believe me... I tried in the mame gig. Everyone wants custom stuff. It's not cost-effective for a company. Best bet is to build your own. Get a bare-bones cabinet kit and build it up yourself. Or save time and use an existing cab.
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:47 am

Question:. What games use more than 1 trackball?
Marble Madness has 2.
Rampart has 3 in some cabs, but some also have joysticks so it's not entirely on authentic to play without the trackballs.

Mame goals for me: 2 player Smash TV, 2 player Marble Madness :)
GTB Sure Shot (loan), BLY Goofy, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
WANTED: 1930s bagatelles
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: R-Type (w/ship), Strider, Astro Invader
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

rockstead

Postby rockstead » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:00 am

Sparky wrote:
rockstead wrote:
Sparky wrote:

OK, but then that makes it weird for games like you mentioned, Smash TV/Total Carnage. The joysticks would be offset .

There is no perfect set-up for all games. So companies do their best to create a standard package. The thing is that for the 1 guy that is pissed that the joystick is on an angle, there are probably a lot more that are satisfied but just aren't vocal about it.

Believe me... I tried in the mame gig. Everyone wants custom stuff. It's not cost-effective for a company. Best bet is to build your own. Get a bare-bones cabinet kit and build it up yourself. Or save time and use an existing cab.

The offset makes very little difference, both sticks would face the same direction for up, down, left, right.

In the way builders usually make a mistake in mounting the sticks, this would be impossible to play. There is no perfect setup for all games but there is a setup that can get you the majority in the high 90s%.

You can't be satisfied with joysticks that are not mounted correctly, you can sort of get used to it but making your brain re-map but you have to remember that player 3 and 4 aren't over regularly, they don't have time for their brain to re-map.

It's counter-intuitive but players will move the joystick in relation to the character on the screen, not their own body.
Google pics of all the old 4 player arcade games like TMNT, Gauntlet, The Simpsons, Hit the Ice. Look at the up arrow on the artwork or the carriage bolt heads.
They are all "non-angled". There were a couple exceptions where a company tried to angle the sticks, but none of the popular games had them angled.

Angled sticks aren't unusable, but if a guest who hasn't used the machine walks up and starts playing it will take them some time to adjust.
The non-angled stick is more intuitive to use and doesn't have a learning curve.

And again in the angled orientation config, it would be make 2 player Karate Champ and Smash TV and others near impossible to play, you can't re-map that when one side is actually up and in the left hand, up would be towards the right.

Anyhow this is Builder 101 stuff for 4 player panels, most people don't do 4 player panels and lack the experience. As a buyer I wouldn't have known had I not been schooled.

Return to “Mame Buy and Sell / Achat et recherche”