LF best place to buy full size tricked out deluxe 4 player Mame ready cabinet

Mame Machines only please
rockstead
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

LF best place to buy full size tricked out deluxe 4 player Mame ready cabinet

Post by rockstead »

I'm fulfilling some childhood dreams.

I need to know where I the best place to purchase a 4 player cabinet that is ready for Mame (just plug in pc) and that is completely tricked out and will play any title I throw at it.

Maybe it's not feasible, but I want light guns, steering wheels track ball, arkanoid roller, enough buttons and property layout to do play whatever game comfortable and with an authentic feel and whatever other accessory you recommend, peddles? Shifter? I don't know what's feasible or practical.

I understand I may have to compromise, but I'm hoping to learn from other people who have been down this road.

It has to be built for me or a pre-fab unit that I can easily put together.

Is anyone local doing stuff like this, or am I better ordering a pre-fab unit from an online retailer? (which one)

No idea where to start or where this will end up costing wise.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
Last edited by rockstead on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Re: LF best place to buy full size tricked out deluxe 4 player Mame ready cabinet

Post by Chris Silver »

Magneto is selling one I believe. I didn't read your post. Just the title.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: LF best place to buy full size tricked out deluxe 4 player Mame ready cabinet

Post by HPR Pinball »

It's possible but may cost a lot of money.
The ''real feeling'' means ''leafs joysticks and buttons'' right ??
The only games i know that command microswitches are fighting games.
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

what games do you want to play? classics? shoot 'em up? beat 'em up? fighters? horizontal? vertical?

Figure which games you like most and stick to it... There are currently 11452 games supported in MAME and there is no way that only one cab will allow you to enjoy them all properly.

so make room ;)

oh and what's your budget? cause yes, "it exist" and they are really nice too.

ps: HPR Pinball : faut tu viennes jouer à Do Donpachi sur ma Blast city ! tu va oublié ça les leafs :mrgreen:
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

I would be willing to spend a few thousand if I had to, multiple machines would be cool but I just can't do it, so I would be willing to make compromises.

darkdog1
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by darkdog1 »

http://arcadesrfun.com/

i bought mine there.I ordered a full customisable 4 players control panel.Alot of options is available,just to name a few:light switch,decals,joysticks,trackball,led blinky, etc.Also,i had a 2to with hyperspin allready configure (plug and play).For the rest..i've builted my cabinet around it with a 40 inch screen.price with external hhd(hyperspin) 1300$..it worth the price..i saved alot of time!
Rien ne sert d'argumenter avec un stupide,car pour le faire tu dois descendre a son niveau et la..il te battra par expérience!

darkdog1
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by darkdog1 »

here's a pic
Attachments
20150102_133516.jpg
Rien ne sert d'argumenter avec un stupide,car pour le faire tu dois descendre a son niveau et la..il te battra par expérience!

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

Mrhide wrote:what games do you want to play? classics? shoot 'em up? beat 'em up? fighters? horizontal? vertical?

Figure which games you like most and stick to it... There are currently 11452 games supported in MAME and there is no way that only one cab will allow you to enjoy them all properly.

so make room ;)

oh and what's your budget? cause yes, "it exist" and they are really nice too.

ps: HPR Pinball : faut tu viennes jouer à Do Donpachi sur ma Blast city ! tu va oublié ça les leafs :mrgreen:
Désolé, je essayé ton Blast City au dernier meeting et la réponse est un non catégorique ;)
J'ai essayé tout les set-up mame de plusieurs membres mpl et maaca et pour moi ''personnellement'' le microswitch est un gros handicap pour bien performer a des jeux video et je comprend mal que les gens continuent a utiliser ce genre de joystick. Je doit être trop vieux :-)

Un jour je te ferai jouer a Pac-Man simultanément avec des microswitch et le joystick original a leaf et tu comprendras :-)
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

pharoah007 wrote:PM me
? you have one for sale or you don't want us to benefit from your experience or contacts? :cry:
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

pharoah007

Post by pharoah007 »

Mrhide wrote:
pharoah007 wrote:PM me
? you have one for sale or you don't want us to benefit from your experience or contacts? :cry:

No...just you Phil.

Go troll somewhere else.

I am out of this thread. OP if you want a MAME. Shoot ma a email.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

HPR Pinball wrote:It's possible but may cost a lot of money.

Honestly, I don't have enough experience to know what's what, it's gotta feel like the arcade.

That's why I'm hoping for great feedback here, I don't want this to be a project, I have too many kids, just not feasible.

I don't want to forget anything, I don't want to have to upgrade in the future, and I'm willing to spend money.

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

Mrhide wrote:check these guys out:

http://www.dreamhomearcades.com/oursystems.aspx
Funny, I got to see their pedestal version today in person, and it was amazing, I really had it in my head that I should get an enormous cabinet with a CRT, but after seeing this on a 55" LCD up close, it was really nice.

What's the general consensus on cabinet v pedestal?

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

I've also seen the pedestal (in Blainville?) and actually brought a 42 inch in the house today ... "with horizontal games in mind"

if the pedestal is properly anchored so that it can without abuse joystick use from 2 grown men, then hey, it's great!

ps: edit your profile to show your location?

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

Yeah Blainville, beautiful setup.

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

I am having a pedestal built myself. Not from that place thou...

Will have a dual control panel setup done in a unique way. One will be for multi Williams and the other for everything else.

The tv rack will allow for tilting so I'll be able to play both vertical and horizontal games.

Meanwhile I am enjoying my vertical cocktail.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

Azatotht wrote:I am having a pedestal built myself. Not from that place thou...

Will have a dual control panel setup done in a unique way. One will be for multi Williams and the other for everything else.

The tv rack will allow for tilting so I'll be able to play both vertical and horizontal games.

Meanwhile I am enjoying my vertical cocktail.
Hi,

Can you tell me who you ended up using for your Pedestal build and do you recommend them?

In fact I had left a deposit for DreamHomeArcades but then I joined arcadecontrols and learned about some horror stories and then I experienced my own when I learned that they angle the orientation of p3,p4 so that up is not towards the screen, this goes against the rules of any 4 player Arcade cabinet and is a mistake made often by first time builders, yet DreamHomeArcades does this on purpose. It would have ruined the experience for my p3,p4 and made smash tv, Karate Champ impossible.

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

Sparky wrote:
rockstead wrote: Hi,

Can you tell me who you ended up using for your Pedestal build and do you recommend them?
Me.
Recommended? Yes.
Will I do it for others? No. LOL

Too much hassle, and I end up getting screwed every time as people see new stuff and want it in their cab, and change their mind all the time.
I just noticed yo ur location, are you the one selling those cocktail kits? I see them listed on the local varage sale and kijiji.

in my case, I know exactly what I want because I have been researching for 6 months, so that wouldn't be the case.

I would also mange my own Hyperspin image.

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Sparky wrote:Me.
Recommended? Yes.
Will I do it for others? No. LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

Sparky wrote:
rockstead wrote: In fact I had left a deposit for DreamHomeArcades but then I joined arcadecontrols and learned about some horror stories and then I experienced my own when I learned that they angle the orientation of p3,p4 so that up is not towards the screen, this goes against the rules of any 4 player Arcade cabinet and is a mistake made often by first time builders, yet DreamHomeArcades does this on purpose. It would have ruined the experience for my p3,p4 and made smash tv, Karate Champ impossible.
The only way around this is a big-ass control panel that is well over 4 feet long. I have built a few. Cumbersome.
That's not what I am saying, players and sticks can be angled, but orientation of the sticks would be the same, even an angled player must move the stick up towards the screen an not ahead based on the angle they are standing at, every 4 player Arcade game like tmnt is done correctly like this, you don't see them having to make extra long panels and they maintain the correct controls.

shovelhed
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by shovelhed »

HPR Pinball wrote:It's possible but may cost a lot of money.
And Nintendo! They didn't have leafs.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Question:. What games use more than 1 trackball?
Marble Madness has 2.
Rampart has 3 in some cabs, but some also have joysticks so it's not entirely on authentic to play without the trackballs.

Mame goals for me: 2 player Smash TV, 2 player Marble Madness :)
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

rockstead
MAACA New Contributor

Post by rockstead »

Sparky wrote:
rockstead wrote:
Sparky wrote:
rockstead wrote: In fact I had left a deposit for DreamHomeArcades but then I joined arcadecontrols and learned about some horror stories and then I experienced my own when I learned that they angle the orientation of p3,p4 so that up is not towards the screen, this goes against the rules of any 4 player Arcade cabinet and is a mistake made often by first time builders, yet DreamHomeArcades does this on purpose. It would have ruined the experience for my p3,p4 and made smash tv, Karate Champ impossible.
The only way around this is a big-ass control panel that is well over 4 feet long. I have built a few. Cumbersome.
That's not what I am saying, players and sticks can be angled, but orientation of the sticks would be the same, even an angled player must move the stick up towards the screen an not ahead based on the angle they are standing at, every 4 player Arcade game like tmnt is done correctly like this, you don't see them having to make extra long panels and they maintain the correct controls.
OK, but then that makes it weird for games like you mentioned, Smash TV/Total Carnage. The joysticks would be offset .

There is no perfect set-up for all games. So companies do their best to create a standard package. The thing is that for the 1 guy that is pissed that the joystick is on an angle, there are probably a lot more that are satisfied but just aren't vocal about it.

Believe me... I tried in the mame gig. Everyone wants custom stuff. It's not cost-effective for a company. Best bet is to build your own. Get a bare-bones cabinet kit and build it up yourself. Or save time and use an existing cab.
The offset makes very little difference, both sticks would face the same direction for up, down, left, right.

In the way builders usually make a mistake in mounting the sticks, this would be impossible to play. There is no perfect setup for all games but there is a setup that can get you the majority in the high 90s%.

You can't be satisfied with joysticks that are not mounted correctly, you can sort of get used to it but making your brain re-map but you have to remember that player 3 and 4 aren't over regularly, they don't have time for their brain to re-map.

It's counter-intuitive but players will move the joystick in relation to the character on the screen, not their own body.
Google pics of all the old 4 player arcade games like TMNT, Gauntlet, The Simpsons, Hit the Ice. Look at the up arrow on the artwork or the carriage bolt heads.
They are all "non-angled". There were a couple exceptions where a company tried to angle the sticks, but none of the popular games had them angled.

Angled sticks aren't unusable, but if a guest who hasn't used the machine walks up and starts playing it will take them some time to adjust.
The non-angled stick is more intuitive to use and doesn't have a learning curve.

And again in the angled orientation config, it would be make 2 player Karate Champ and Smash TV and others near impossible to play, you can't re-map that when one side is actually up and in the left hand, up would be towards the right.

Anyhow this is Builder 101 stuff for 4 player panels, most people don't do 4 player panels and lack the experience. As a buyer I wouldn't have known had I not been schooled.