Storage tote bins that fit under pinball games?

Anything that is not Arcade related
semicolin
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 119 times

Storage tote bins that fit under pinball games?

Post by semicolin »

Can anyone recommend good storage totes that actually fit under games and aren't so wide that they can't be pulled out from between standard legs?

Home Depot has awesome 170L black Husky totes with wheels at the back that would be great if they weren't an inch too wide.

I'm looking for the largest storage bin possible to fit in the space underneath a standard pinball and still be able to be pulled out from the front. Ideally, without breaking the bank.

The biggest I've found that should work are these 102L bins from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdx-10 ... 1000706729

But even with those, there's a lot of wasted space. They're not very tall and not very deep.

The ideal box would be something 18"W x 18"T x 48"D, and that just doesn't seem to be a standard dimension that I can find of anything but cardboard boxes... and I'm not putting cardboard boxes beneath my games.

What do you use?

Sparky
MAACA OG
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 171 times

Re: Storage tote bins that fit under pinball games?

Post by Sparky »

I know that these days it is not a better choice economically, but I built wood boxes on small wheels. 2x3 inner framing with 3x8" ply bottom and 1/4" ply sides. I then wrapped it with the cheapest black material I could get. MDF/Fiberboard would be fine.

4 small caster wheels under. Some small wheels like these: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/everbi ... 1000404245

3 2x3" 8 foot long (7.50$ each)
1 2x4' 1/2" fiberboard panel
3 2x4' 1/4" fiberboard panel
(note: you can have a 4x8' sheet of one kind cut to the sizes. All fits on one panel. A 1/2" thick 4x8 panel of MDF, melamine or 3/8 plywood is 38$ at home depot)
4 caster wheels (10$)

You are probably looking at 80 bucks of material per box. Paint or cover to your liking.

You can even install a small handle to pull out the box easier. Heck, I would even paint to match the cabs they are under, if you wanted to get fancy.
Stupid pinball prices are only a problem if you are buying...

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by mrmikeman »

semicolin wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:25 am
Can anyone recommend good storage totes that actually fit under games and aren't so wide that they can't be pulled out from between standard legs?

Home Depot has awesome 170L black Husky totes with wheels at the back that would be great if they weren't an inch too wide.

I'm looking for the largest storage bin possible to fit in the space underneath a standard pinball and still be able to be pulled out from the front. Ideally, without breaking the bank.

The biggest I've found that should work are these 102L bins from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdx-10 ... 1000706729

But even with those, there's a lot of wasted space. They're not very tall and not very deep.

The ideal box would be something 18"W x 18"T x 48"D, and that just doesn't seem to be a standard dimension that I can find of anything but cardboard boxes... and I'm not putting cardboard boxes beneath my games.

What do you use?
You're supposed to put subwoofers underneath your games, not use the space for storage!!! ;)
PINS:
Medieval Madness Royal Edition - Stern HD Glass, Mods: Lit Merlin
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: Lior Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: Gouveia Witch 2.0, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades
Star Wars Prem - Stern Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, SW Armor (Yoda)
Lord of the Rings - ColorDMD, Pinsound board, speakers, and headphone station, Shaker. Mods: Laser cut armor, POTD Ghosts, Powerbladez, LED backglass panel lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board, speakers, and shaker, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD, pinduino lighting on ramps and borg ship
Fathom Mermaid Edition (#065) - Unkown ETA

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC / XBOX 1X / Nintendo Switch

MINI-VIDS(dedicated 1/6 scale):
Dragon's Lair
Asteroids
1942/1943
Q-Bert

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *Selling soon to make room. Don't need 2 jukes.
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

GILV
MAACA Silent Type
Been liked: 4 times

Post by GILV »

Like Sparky said..... I built 2 a few years ago but I used playfield glasses as shelves and they were very usefull for storing pinball parts. with the glass, the parts were easy to find as well, I should've kept them. :FP:

tombiosis
MAACA QuarterPounder
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by tombiosis »

Pins: 8BDlx, Frontier, The Walking Dead Pro, Jurassic Park Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Deadpool Pro
Gone but not forgotten: 6M$M, Fish Tales, Sorcerer, WPT, Elvis, Centaur II, Sure Shot, Firepower, Big Buck Hunter Pro.

WTB: Fathom, TSPP, BSD, GOT.

Quit talking and start chalking!

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Sorta! But at 24" wide, it just won't fit. Mastercraft has another one that will, https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp and it's on sale this week. It's slightly smaller in capacity than the HDX box, but the form factor seems better.

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Alright, just ordered half a dozen of these: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp

I was going to put one of the Husky giant rollers under the widebody, but I realized that if I ever sell the game and put a standard sized one in place, dealing with storage will be a hassle.

cap
MAACA Millennial
Been liked: 12 times

Post by cap »

Too late now, but have you researched patio chests? That thing would have fitted if you remove the lid https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kete ... 0298p.html
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Sparky
MAACA OG
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 171 times

Post by Sparky »

cap wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:27 am
Too late now, but have you researched patio chests? That thing would have fitted if you remove the lid https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kete ... 0298p.html
Too wide and too high. If you want a box to fit under a pin and pull out the front, it has to be under 18.5" wide, and under 21" high.

Hmm... I wonder if there is a market for customized storage bins... LOL... hmm....
Stupid pinball prices are only a problem if you are buying...

cap
MAACA Millennial

Post by cap »

The dimensions on the canadiantire.ca site are all messed up. The product I linked to has the same width inside and outside. Paper thin walls of neutronium for you. Yeah, I forgot it has to come out the front even if it fits from the side.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

cap
MAACA Millennial

Post by cap »

Sparky wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:32 am
Hmm... I wonder if there is a market for customized storage bins... LOL... hmm....
Better innovation than the pinpod... the pinbox coming your way soon. :D

tom_454
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by tom_454 »

I use these. They work great under pins. I think I got them at Home Depot but they are available at some of the Home hardware stores like the one in Kanata.
Attachments
7AA98DEF-1419-4ECA-BBE2-6568BEFA82ED.jpeg
A711E149-712D-46E9-AC1B-24F23EAD6741.jpeg
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Yes- those are the same dimensions as the HDX bins. Thanks!

monkeybug
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 1 time

Post by monkeybug »

I made some custom wooden bins on castors to maximize space. Be aware though that not all games have the same height clearance so its not a one size fits all approach. Plastic bins are much easier.

shinynick
MAACA Buck
Has liked: 2 times

Post by shinynick »

You can just use two medium sized bins one in front of the other. much easier to deal with than a 48" long bin!

World_of_Warships
MAACA Half-ling
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

Circling back to @mrmikeman, what he said! :-)

Return to “Miscellaneous Buy and Sell / Items Variés Achat et recherche”