MAACA members recognition of expertise

Let us know what we can do to improve the forum.
World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

MAACA members recognition of expertise

Post by World_of_Warships »

Re. Suggestion that would be to the benefit of newer members

Hi MAACA admins, there should be a way for you to add a mention next to a member's avatar, e.g. when a member is clearly deemed as being at the top of his 'game', so to say! Lol

Would be useful, if documented on MAACA, for newer member to rapidly recognize that any advice coming from those members would be worth paying extra attention to.

For example:

tinyrodent
MAACA chatterbox
Expert level restoration - Classic pinballs

Additional fields of 'expertise' could be:
Expert gamer - Classic pinballs
Expert gamer - Modern pinballs
Elite parts finder or provider - Classic pinballs
Market value expert - Stern pinballs
Buyer's beware advisor - Bally pinballs
Etc..

Only one field of expertise per 'deemed' member to make things simpler. Not saying only those members would give proper advice, however I'm pretty sure that I'd follow what Brett would suggest if I ever wanted to restore an older pin!!

And admin would create a limited list of those 'expert advisors', again, to limit noise. Lol, the MAACA round-table!

bele2009
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: MAACA members recognition of expertise

Post by bele2009 »

Great idea! Would be very useful.
Bally Xenon (Shopped out - new Playfield. Playing)
Chicago Coin CINEMA (Full restoration complete. Playing)
Virtual Pinball (Wide Body Custom - In Progress)
Bally Dolly Parton (Full restoration in progress - Repainting + Playfield swap)
Chicago Coin Sound Stage (Project)
Gottlieb Top Score (Project)

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

I don't dislike the idea, but most of us in the hobby that have been around for a few years are familiar with who only play pins, who fix pins, who restores them, and who does full restores. Many of us will gladly chime in on repairs and provide advice on specific fixes, or answer any questions you have right in the forum threads. That's the great thing about MAACA. We all have different levels of expertise.

I had an busted Surfer EM. I mean it wouldn't even power up. With the help of this forum it is now fully functional and I'm looking at restoring the cabinet now.

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

Fifty wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:21 pm I don't dislike the idea, but most of us in the hobby that have been around for a few years are familiar with who only play pins, who fix pins, who restores them, and who does full restores. Many of us will gladly chime in on repairs and provide advice on specific fixes, or answer any questions you have right in the forum threads. That's the great thing about MAACA. We all have different levels of expertise.

I had an busted Surfer EM. I mean it wouldn't even power up. With the help of this forum it is now fully functional and I'm looking at restoring the cabinet now.
Yes, that has been my experience thus far, people have been really generous and helpful. Lol, I still don't know what a MAACA 'buck' and 'motormouth' means, thou!

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

Sparky wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm I am not hot at the idea, but hell, write up a template of what you want to see and maybe people will put it in their signature.

Me? I suck at everything. I just know how to turn a screwdriver. LOL
Very, very doubtful you just know how to turn a screwdriver! :)

As for the comments added to signatures, anyone can put in about anything. However, if a comment is put in by the site admin into a reserved spot, then this is trustworthy information. This would go a long way for newbies like I recently was, and still am. It took me awhile to figure things out, but it's because I was lucky enough to have a colleague that was already part of this universe. I can't imagine sending out a deposit to buy a game I haven't seen, from a seller I do not know, unless I got some references. Let alone you gotta keep in mind scammers!

As I went along, I still had to figure out the lingo, so to speak, and get that you can only work by trusting those references. The advice you receive goes a long way when purchasing a machine worth thousands of dollars, resulting in buying even more mods, tools, parts, etc. Putting in a part in a game, so that it won't fry some board somewhere, yeah, one better get advice from people that know best!

Having some sort of a tag under your name which tells you that you've posted X amount of time is a cool feature, btw! And case to point, I swear it helped me a lot! I figured a guy that has poster hundreds of times must know what he's doing from experience, right? ;)

Anyhow, discovering this world of pinballs and arcade, not just at the level when I would put in loonies into a machine, has been fantastic fun so far! MAACA is that great forum I was looking for, and I thank the members and OG that put in the time and energy without counting the number of hours!!

So thank you for that!

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

Sparky wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:12 pm
World_of_Warships wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:10 am Lol, I still don't know what a MAACA 'buck' and 'motormouth' means, thou!
Relative to number of posts written:

RANK TITLE MINIMUM POSTS
- MAACA Newb 1
- MAACA Silent Type 5
- MAACA Buck 100
- MAACA QuarterPounder 250
- MAACA Half-ling 500
- MAACA Millennial 1000
- MAACA Chatterbox 1500
- MAACA Motormouth 2000
- MAACA Wacko 2500
- MAACA OG 5000
Cool, tks! Working towards my QuarterPounder!! How about a BigMac?? Lol

ervinjason
MAACA New Contributor

Post by ervinjason »

I don't dislike the idea, but most of us in the hobby that have been around for a few years are familiar with who only play pins, who fix pins, who restores them, and who does full restores.

Many of us will gladly chime in on repairs and provide advice on specific fixes, or answer any questions you have right in the forum threads.

That's the great thing about MAACA. We all have different levels of expertise.
Now alight motion on iOS for your mac device bringing you professional-quality animation, motion graphics, visual effects, video editing, video compositing, and more! Vector and bitmap support