Jolly Roger Blows 15 Amp Fuse

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Jolly Roger Blows 15 Amp Fuse

Postby Guard » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Did a thorough cleanup on the steppers and contacts in the cabinet today. Put it all back together and now I'm blowing the 15 amp fuse...
My theory is when you do something and it doesn't work go back....but all I did was clean.
Any ideas??
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Pat Hand /Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Jolly Roger / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Tri Zone
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

amona
MAACA Buck

Re: Jolly Roger Blows 15 Amp Fuse

Postby amona » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Bent lugs where the wires are soldered in touching each other. Instead of looking at the contacts end, look at the wire end.

And the coils on any stepper you rebuilt. Look there too.
"Stern's biggest target demographic is men in their late forties and fifties, who might not be very skilled but are easily seduced by flashing lights, flippers and nostalgia." Corey McPherrin, FOX Chicago News

amona
MAACA Buck

Postby amona » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Bent lugs where the wires are soldered in touching each other. Instead of looking at the contacts end, look at the wire end.

And the coils on any stepper you rebuilt. Look there too.
"Stern's biggest target demographic is men in their late forties and fifties, who might not be very skilled but are easily seduced by flashing lights, flippers and nostalgia." Corey McPherrin, FOX Chicago News

amona
MAACA Buck

Postby amona » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 pm

And get some circuit breakers! Darn handy to have when fuses are blowing.

Cut a test lead in half and solder one end on each side You can just clip it in as needed. Also nice to have a protected fuse protected test lead.

sylvain
MAACA Wacko

Postby sylvain » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:43 pm

Is that 15A fuse for solenoids, or for lamps? I assume it is not the line one, at that rating.

In addition to amona's advice above, please ensure the Jones plugs are connected correctly to their proper respective plugs, and not one offset by one row.
It is probably a crushed lug shorting to another one though...

Good luck!
-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Guard » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:29 pm

I think it's the line one actually. It blows when I hit the start button....looks like a spark comes somewhere off of the relay contacts.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Pat Hand /Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Jolly Roger / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Guard » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 am

Removed the PF, stuck in another fuse, and the rest of the game completely reset just fine. No blown fuse.....Guess I'll put the PF back on the rotisserie.
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Guard » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:17 am

I'll fix the 1000 on player 2..it moved but stopped there as reset.
Attachments
20190711_080806.jpg
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Guard » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 pm

Working now......didn't see anything touching but still spaced out all the connections that looked even close. Also cleaned up the fuse holder itself, it was full if dried gunk.
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”