Captain Fantastic issue

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
mbudman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Captain Fantastic issue

Post by mbudman »

Hello,

I have a loose connection somewhere which causes the playfield lights for bonus score and A/B/Open gate to stop working. Must be something loose, but I have not found the correct spot yet.

I replaced 3 Fuse holders beside the title mechanism on left side (the old ones were broken) and I replaced one broken fuse holder under the playfield (around middle area) as it was also broken.

A slight shake causes the these particular lights to go off. Game usually starts with lights on, but goes off immediately.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks,

Mark
Last edited by mbudman on Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sylvain
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Captain Fantastic issue

Post by sylvain »

Tighten, check and adjust (possibly flexstone) contacts on the Game Over interlock relay.
I think one NC (normally closed) contact pair supplies power to the Bonus and A/B lamps, according to the schematics.

Good luck!
-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

mbudman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by mbudman »

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for the advice. I will check it out.

An interesting thing to note. The pin connector plug beside the the tilt on the left side on the inside cabinet - The first pin on the left side (first pin being close to the bottom) becomes extremely hot - to the point where I almost burned my finger. I have never know a pin to get so hot. Would you have any idea on where I should look? I checked Clay's (pinrepair) where he refers to the second pin from the top as overheating:
Pin connector.jpg
The pin that I having issues with is the bottom one with the green arrow.

The blue and red are the ones that Pinrepair discusses, but I do not seem to have an issue with them. I also replaced all the fuse holders.

Thanks,

Mark
Last edited by mbudman on Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sylvain
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 3 times

Post by sylvain »

mbudman wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:49 pm
An interesting thing to note. The pin connector plug beside the the tilt on the left side on the inside cabinet - one of the pins becomes extremely hot - to the point where I almost burned my finger. I think it is one of the bottom pins. I have never know a pin to get so hot. Would you have any idea on where I should look?
Does this connector lead to the cash door? Could be for power for the GI bulbs for the coins entry slots.

The unexpected heat means that one or more pin(s) in this Jones connector is making a poor contact and offers
too much resistance to the passage of current, which gets transformed in heat and voltage drop.

With the power OFF/machine unplugged, you can gently sand the pins on the male connector and see if you can tighten
or use a very small wire brush to try to clean the corresponding inside of the female pins on that connector.

Also make sure the front cash door coin slots entrance bulb sockets and their lugs are not shorted to ground or together.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”