CP-100 cleaner/polisher

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
tim.sanderson
MAACA Silent Type

CP-100 cleaner/polisher

Post by tim.sanderson »

My buddy Mike won 4th in the B division at last weekends PINBALL BRAWL FOR IT ALL at Adam's, and seeing as he has no machines, he gave me the goodie bag he won. One of the things in the bag was a bottle of CP-100. It's claimed to be a cleaner/polisher for all things pinball. Has anyone here used this before? And on what surfaces did you use it on? Playfield? Ramps? Rubbers? Is there any surface I should avoid using it on?
Attachments
cp-100.JPG
http://www.multiball.org/
Jokerz!
Rollergames

sLaM_tIlT
MAACA Half-ling

Re: CP-100 cleaner/polisher

Post by sLaM_tIlT »

From Marco's website:

"CP-100 is the blue cleaner that contains no water or abrasives. It cleans and polishes playfield surfaces and leaves no waxy residue. 8 oz. plastic bottle."

Never heard anybody using this before so don't know how well it works. I would just stick with Novus 2.

But give it a try and let us know how it works.
Brent

BSD
EBD

tim.sanderson
MAACA Silent Type

Post by tim.sanderson »

That's what I'm worried about. The bottle says it's good for everything. (a tall order to say the least)
I'll try it on rubbers and stuff before I try it on a PF.
Jokerz!
Rollergames

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Mrhide »

it's to CLEAN RUBBERS only. by DISSOLVING IT.

it _will_ strip mylar, varathane and paint!
You've been warned!
LF: VewLix, GrooveCoaster + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

tim.sanderson
MAACA Silent Type

Post by tim.sanderson »

Mrhide wrote:it's to CLEAN RUBBERS only. by DISSOLVING IT.
it _will_ strip mylar, varathane and paint!
You've been warned!
That's the kind of info I was looking for!

Thanks Mrhide.
Jokerz!
Rollergames

Ottawaflipper
MAACA Silent Type
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Ottawaflipper »

I m a newbie and wanted to chime in as I have recently looked this up.
this is the MDS sheet for that product:

It is naphtha and paint thinner, certainly not a polisher as in 'polisher compound'.

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by mrmikeman »

I've had some for almost 20 years. The times I have used it was without any issues. I just didn't find it that effective which is why I still have half the bottle from 20 years ago.
Current Lineup:

PINS:
Medieval Madness Royal Edition - Mods: Merlin, Troll lighting
Stern Jurassic Park LE - Pinstadiums, Stern topper, stern amber shooter, mods: signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE - Pinstadiums, mods: witch, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, Throne room screen, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades, Gouveia witch 2.0 (coming soon)
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Doctor Who - Alt Translite, moving Dalek(real one - not the cheap servo mod), new decals, new ramps, pinblades, full LED, Pinsound & shaker, LED&GI OCD, ColorDMD
Revenge from Mars(+SWEP1 pf) - Running RFM custom code v2.22 on Nucore, Mods: saucer LEDs, 6-ball trough, knocker, shaker. SWEP1 is original software and no mods. Original neon works
Stern Star Wars Prem (ordered - ETA March or April 2021) - Mods: Stern Art Blades, Stern Topper, Stern Shooter, Stern Shaker, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing

Looking for:
Willy Wonka
LOTR
Vewlix cab

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel.
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke - Hooked up to the Seeburg Entertainer speakers.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 23 times

Post by R.A.B. »

In general, this stuff is not suitable and/or totally safe for collectors who baby their machines, and it certainly is not something they should use to scrub their playfields with. It is kerosene based and good for cleaning appliances, and judging by the picture below, I am out of the stuff at home but have plenty at Alouette (shameless plug) and I do sell out often cause most people who own pinball machines and show up with a lost look in their eyes due to their barn or garage find and who have proudly cleaned their playfields with soap and water and an sos pad to then shine it up with some Pledge are simply not collectors, but they are proud of the result they got, for now. So CP-100 is sort of an ok alternative for them at this juncture in their pinball life.
20210112_194140.jpg
It is also a strong and fast cleaner for commercial operators with dirty playfields, and since there are none of those around these days, (operators) and as a collector, you may want to wipe your white rubber rings clean with just one stroke (put the product on a cotton rag and wipe your rubbers) and do just that with it, that is all I ever use it for and for my fridge door quick grab zone ofcourse.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will then only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of occurrences to recall come hell or calm tides.

In real life I always preferred the exceptional qualities in any normal state of affairs. But alas, so many of us have suddenly become exceptional via a world wide web of self-promotion upheld by the new dumb that it has made the quest for something truly exceptional much more difficult to notice.

"Ah, goddamn writers, never a good word for anything. Hell, you never really know what they will say or do next." My Alter Ego

Ottawaflipper
MAACA Silent Type
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Ottawaflipper »

I believe that kerosene and naphtha are not the same even though they could be used as fuel for lamps, they are not chemically the same.

Naphtha is very volatile and flashes quickly whereas kerosene is not (I have used heaters fuelled with kersone, and it is more oily and smells different too).
I have also posted the MDS above where you can see the chemical components of CP-100 and you'll see that is 95% naphtha.

Naphtha seems very popular on Pinside, there is a whole thread about it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... st-2655378

what do you recommend for cleaning or what do you use for cleaning your playfields?

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Fifty »

Looks like it would be good with Gin.

Is it possible to look up PinGuard Rubber Cleaner on the MDS? I've always wanted to know what the hell is in the stuff.

Sparky
MAACA OG
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Sparky »

Ottawaflipper wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:35 pm

what do you recommend for cleaning or what do you use for cleaning your playfields?
It depends on what type of dirt, and what pinball you are dealing with.

I tend to use magic erasers to start off with, regardless of playfield.

EM (pins with some woodgrain on pf:
Light cleaning: Novus 2, then wax
Some dirt: eraser with rubbing alcohol, then Novus 2 then wax. I don't really tend to go more than that. Old EMs are dry...

Early SS pins:
Light cleaning: Novus 2, then wax
Some dirt: eraser with rubbing alcohol, then Novus 2 and then wax.
Bad swirl marks: eraser with 99% isopropyl alcohol, and do only 5-6 circle motions and then check. Don't overdo it. Then Novus 2 and wax.
REALLY bad dirt and swirl marks (and considering you will clearcoat it after): eraser with methyl hydrate. BE CAREFUL. This shit will tear the pf apart if starting to wear. ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT. A clearcoat job is highly recommended after.

DMD with good clearcoat: Novus 2, 3 and wax. If there is a bad dirt spot like an shooter lane, then an eraser with rubbing alcohol.

Mylar glue after mylar removed:
Option 1: methyl hydrate... but this is AGGRESSIVE. BEWARE! glue comes off FAST, but so will your paint!!
Option 2: Goo-Gone. NOT GOOF OFF. Goo-Gone is citrus-based. Works well, but be patient...
Option 3: 3M citrus cleaner. Works very well, but not readily available
Option 4: all-purpose flour. Rub it in and glue loses it's adhesion. But... MESSY.
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 23 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Ottawaflipper wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:35 pm
I believe that kerosene and naphtha are not the same even though they could be used as fuel for lamps, they are not chemically the same.

Naphtha is very volatile and flashes quickly whereas kerosene is not (I have used heaters fuelled with kersone, and it is more oily and smells different too).
I have also posted the MDS above where you can see the chemical components of CP-100 and you'll see that is 95% naphtha.

Naphtha seems very popular on Pinside, there is a whole thread about it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... st-2655378

What I have detailed below applies to regular cleaning and maintenacne of working machines out in the field, it has worked well for my apprentices at North Star who would do the weekly cleaning & monthly waxing. Needless to say, that you may want to go further if you are in a home environment and get the Q-tips out. For a full strip down and reassembly see Sparky's post suggestions above.

Here goes :

CP-100 is generally nasty for maintenance of playfields, and again, I only use it on white rubbers and apply it on a lightly soaked cotton rag and just wipe the rubbers clean. Cheap and easy.

Novus 2 is the best for any playfield really, can't go wrong and after that I personally like Mills Wax (also on the rag) after the novus has cleaned the surface. Never pour either one directly on the playfield if it is populated, tends to make some of the parts look white once dry when they aren't. :lol:
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will then only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of occurrences to recall come hell or calm tides.

In real life I always preferred the exceptional qualities in any normal state of affairs. But alas, so many of us have suddenly become exceptional via a world wide web of self-promotion upheld by the new dumb that it has made the quest for something truly exceptional much more difficult to notice.

"Ah, goddamn writers, never a good word for anything. Hell, you never really know what they will say or do next." My Alter Ego

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”