CP-100 cleaner/polisher

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
tim.sanderson
MAACA New Contributor

CP-100 cleaner/polisher

Post by tim.sanderson »

My buddy Mike won 4th in the B division at last weekends PINBALL BRAWL FOR IT ALL at Adam's, and seeing as he has no machines, he gave me the goodie bag he won. One of the things in the bag was a bottle of CP-100. It's claimed to be a cleaner/polisher for all things pinball. Has anyone here used this before? And on what surfaces did you use it on? Playfield? Ramps? Rubbers? Is there any surface I should avoid using it on?
Attachments
cp-100.JPG
http://www.multiball.org/
Jokerz!
Rollergames

sLaM_tIlT
MAACA Super Contributor

Re: CP-100 cleaner/polisher

Post by sLaM_tIlT »

From Marco's website:

"CP-100 is the blue cleaner that contains no water or abrasives. It cleans and polishes playfield surfaces and leaves no waxy residue. 8 oz. plastic bottle."

Never heard anybody using this before so don't know how well it works. I would just stick with Novus 2.

But give it a try and let us know how it works.
Brent

BSD
EBD

tim.sanderson
MAACA New Contributor

Post by tim.sanderson »

That's what I'm worried about. The bottle says it's good for everything. (a tall order to say the least)
I'll try it on rubbers and stuff before I try it on a PF.
Jokerz!
Rollergames

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

it's to CLEAN RUBBERS only. by DISSOLVING IT.

it _will_ strip mylar, varathane and paint!
You've been warned!
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

tim.sanderson
MAACA New Contributor

Post by tim.sanderson »

Mrhide wrote:it's to CLEAN RUBBERS only. by DISSOLVING IT.
it _will_ strip mylar, varathane and paint!
You've been warned!
That's the kind of info I was looking for!

Thanks Mrhide.
Jokerz!
Rollergames

Ottawaflipper
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Ottawaflipper »

I m a newbie and wanted to chime in as I have recently looked this up.
this is the MDS sheet for that product:

It is naphtha and paint thinner, certainly not a polisher as in 'polisher compound'.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by mrmikeman »

I've had some for almost 20 years. The times I have used it was without any issues. I just didn't find it that effective which is why I still have half the bottle from 20 years ago.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

In general, this stuff is not suitable and/or totally safe for collectors who baby their machines, and it certainly is not something they should use to scrub their playfields with. It is kerosene based and good for cleaning appliances, and judging by the picture below, I am out of the stuff at home but have plenty at Alouette (shameless plug) and I do sell out often cause most people who own pinball machines and show up with a lost look in their eyes due to their barn or garage find and who have proudly cleaned their playfields with soap and water and an sos pad to then shine it up with some Pledge are simply not collectors, but they are proud of the result they got, for now. So CP-100 is sort of an ok alternative for them at this juncture in their pinball life.
20210112_194140.jpg
It is also a strong and fast cleaner for commercial operators with dirty playfields, and since there are none of those around these days, (operators) and as a collector, you may want to wipe your white rubber rings clean with just one stroke (put the product on a cotton rag and wipe your rubbers) and do just that with it, that is all I ever use it for and for my fridge door quick grab zone ofcourse.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Ottawaflipper
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Ottawaflipper »

I believe that kerosene and naphtha are not the same even though they could be used as fuel for lamps, they are not chemically the same.

Naphtha is very volatile and flashes quickly whereas kerosene is not (I have used heaters fuelled with kersone, and it is more oily and smells different too).
I have also posted the MDS above where you can see the chemical components of CP-100 and you'll see that is 95% naphtha.

Naphtha seems very popular on Pinside, there is a whole thread about it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... st-2655378

what do you recommend for cleaning or what do you use for cleaning your playfields?

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

Looks like it would be good with Gin.

Is it possible to look up PinGuard Rubber Cleaner on the MDS? I've always wanted to know what the hell is in the stuff.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Ottawaflipper wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:35 pm I believe that kerosene and naphtha are not the same even though they could be used as fuel for lamps, they are not chemically the same.

Naphtha is very volatile and flashes quickly whereas kerosene is not (I have used heaters fuelled with kersone, and it is more oily and smells different too).
I have also posted the MDS above where you can see the chemical components of CP-100 and you'll see that is 95% naphtha.

Naphtha seems very popular on Pinside, there is a whole thread about it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... st-2655378

what do you recommend for cleaning or what do you use for cleaning your playfields?
What I have detailed below applies to regular cleaning and maintenacne of working machines out in the field, it has worked well for my apprentices at North Star who would do the weekly cleaning & monthly waxing. Needless to say, that you may want to go further if you are in a home environment and get the Q-tips out. For a full strip down and reassembly see Sparky's post suggestions above.

Here goes :

CP-100 is generally nasty for maintenance of playfields, and again, I only use it on white rubbers and apply it on a lightly soaked cotton rag and just wipe the rubbers clean. Cheap and easy.

Novus 2 is the best for any playfield really, can't go wrong and after that I personally like Mills Wax (also on the rag) after the novus has cleaned the surface. Never pour either one directly on the playfield if it is populated, tends to make some of the parts look white once dry when they aren't. :lol:
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy