Dr. Who blowing fuses F106 & F110

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
quarter grabber
MAACA Half-ling

Dr. Who blowing fuses F106 & F110

Post by quarter grabber »

I recently disassembled and reassembled my Dr. Who for a restore. When I put it back together it now keeps instantly blowing fuses F106 & F110 and giving me a message on the DMD "check switch mini opto 5 bank 71, check switch mini opto 5 bank 72, check switch mini opto 5 bank 74, check switch mini opto 5 bank 75". Does anyone know what I've done and how I can fix it? Thank you so much for your help.

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Dr. Who blowing fuses F106 & F110

Post by Mrhide »

F106 G.I. #5 White-Violet 5A, 250V, SB
F110 G.I. #1 White-Brown 5A, 250V, SB

Since they are Gi fuses but the optos are complaining, I would GUESS that the gi line is somehow touching that opto bank line ? have a look?
LF: VewLix, GrooveCoaster + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

quarter grabber
MAACA Half-ling

Thanks Phil. I see your not just great for comic relief :P . A quick update. I reflowed the solder to all the wires and optos on the 5 bank opto boards on the mini playfield and I still get the errors. I do not know where to begin to look for where the wires from the gi and opts could be touching??

flashman
MAACA Half-ling

Post by flashman »

Check to make sure you're not shorting the GI to another circuit. Look for metal contacting metal. Be patient take your time. Use the continuity test on your multimeter.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

The optos are all in the same column ... Check out the green violet wire elsewhere then the 4 ones mentionned.. Or disconnect j206 on the cpu board and boot the game ... Does the fuses blow? Or perhaps even better: disconnect the connectors to the mini playfield and see what happens... This just help identify where the issue is : the mini playfield or elsewhere.

Start by reviewing where you reflowed ... :cop :lol:

quarter grabber
MAACA Half-ling

Mrhide wrote:The optos are all in the same column ... Check out the green violet wire elsewhere then the 4 ones mentionned.. Or disconnect j206 on the cpu board and boot the game ... Does the fuses blow? Or perhaps even better: disconnect the connectors to the mini playfield and see what happens... This just help identify where the issue is : the mini playfield or elsewhere.

Start by reviewing where you reflowed ... :cop :lol:
OK so I disconnected the connector for the 5 bank mini opto and the fuses still blow with it disconnected. However instead of getting errors on only 4 of them (72, 73, 74, and 75 ) now I get an error on all five (71, 72, 83, 74, 75). I went to disconnect j206 like you suggested but nothing is even connected to it? Before I tore it down it was professionally serviced by a tech and worked perfectly.

sylvain
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 1 time

Post by sylvain »

Which GI lamps are not working once the fuses blow? Mini-playfield only ?
Were any connectors disconnected and reconnected from the Power Driver Board in the head during the refurbishing?
Could two connectors have been swapped by mistake? I assume not, but worth checking.

Sounds like there is a short, miswiring or connectors swapped causing the two unrelated fuses to blow.

Cheers,
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

quarter grabber
MAACA Half-ling

OK so a quick update. I didn't have the three flippers installed because it is always the last thing I do. One of the flipper mech must have been hanging down and touching something because when I installed the three flippers, fuse F106 stopped blowing and all of the GI lights are on now. However fuse F110 is still blowing and all the mini playfield opto switches still have errors. I checked the manual and fuse F110 is a GI fuse but all the GI lights are on??

sylvain
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 1 time

Post by sylvain »

Someone provided a useful GI Fuses to lamp strings location on your Pinside Post.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... -f106-f110

The link is:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... st-1281347

F110 is for lamps on the insert.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

There are 2 identical and connecting(!) connectors on the CPU board for each the lamp and the switch matrix ... so if 206 is not connected, it's the one above, or below ... it's ok to plug 'em in one of the other.

but if you're flipper mechanism was hanging ... then you have your answer ;)

quarter grabber
MAACA Half-ling

Mrhide wrote:There are 2 identical and connecting(!) connectors on the CPU board for each the lamp and the switch matrix ... so if 206 is not connected, it's the one above, or below ... it's ok to plug 'em in one of the other.

but if you're flipper mechanism was hanging ... then you have your answer ;)
Yes the hanging flipper mech (once reattached ) stopped fuse F106 from blowing. But F110 is still blowing and slyvain was right an entire string of lights is out in the back box behind the translite. I will investigate further.

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”