Fire Queen- 100 Point Problems

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Fire Queen- 100 Point Problems

Post by Guard »

[posted on Pinrev also]

So I have a Fire Queen that always wants to play 2 players, but I'm not too worried about that right now.

The issue that concerns me is the 100 point relay will stay energized every once in a while and lock on during both players. I also get totally random points out of my 500 point rollovers and drop targets. I have cleaned contacts, switches, and checked the score reels and still have this issue. If I move the relay by hand it will score the points as fast as I can move it but from the playfield I get the power staying on and the random scoring.

Short somewhere in the system?? The 10's and 1000's work perfectly.....

[and I now have the playfield off{first time doing that} so I'll clean some more]
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Re: Fire Queen- 100 Point Problems

Post by Guard »

That's what I'm checking but the rollover area at the top is a nightmare to try and check without taking it apart.......and I'm not feeling that brave yet.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sylvain »

As indicated by Sparky in his post above, this issue is typically caused by a playfield switch with an incorrect gapping (too close or stuck on)
or with a switch metal backing plate incorrectly adjusted and shorting to the other contact in its rest position.

A small mirror can help to better view a tight spot.
Or better yet, with the machine unplugged, disconnect the playfield`s Jones connectors from the cabinet and take the PF out for an easier visual check !
This is often what I do with Gottlieb EM machines, much easier to work inside the cabinet or under the playfield that way.

The trick is to:
- identify which scoring relay is stuck or causing unexpected scoring on vibrations (you properly identified the 100 pts relay)
- visually inspect all playfield switches that give this specific number of points
- also check if a pop bumper stays activated, if so check its spoon switch gapping along with the EOS switch on it that should open when the ring is activated.

Good luck!
-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Thanks guys......I took a break and made it a play pinball and drink dark rum night and I'll give it my attention tomorrow.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

One more please......it APPEARS the Number 3 rollover was indeed touching, which leads me to ask this question. Neither 3 rollovers lights worked even though I checked the bulbs, possible because of this gapping problem?

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sylvain »

Guard wrote:One more please......it APPEARS the Number 3 rollover was indeed touching, which leads me to ask this question. Neither 3 rollovers lights worked even though I checked the bulbs, possible because of this gapping problem?
Are the other lights turning off in their appropriate lanes when making the other rollovers?
If the rollover #3 switch was always on, it would trigger the #3 relay on the bank and deactivate the #3 bulbs - if this is the above case.

In addition, if the lamp sockets and wiring are good for #3, then it could also be a misadjusted or dirty contact on the #3 relay on the relay bank under the playfield (typically).

-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Every other light worked fine....just the #3 rollover lights top and bottom did not even though the bulbs and grounding etc. was good.

Thanks,
Bruce

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

When I put the playfield back on the #3 rollovers lit up and the 100 point relay stuck a lot less.....not good enough......I then took a close look at the armature on the relay and saw it was very close to the coil. I took it off [carefully I'm still in over my head :oops: ] and roughed it up with a file and lightly sanded the copper on the relay and put it back together with a bit more space.

4 games in so far and working fine.....[fingers crossed]

I'm even going to try a game with the glass on.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

:FP: Well that didn't last long.....

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

So right now it's working fine.....is there a chance that the armeture has become magnetic from being powered up so much? Right now it is so close that if I hold it upside down it will always disengage with just the extra gravity, but if I hold it sideways ( the way it sits normally) it will stick every once in a while. But to disengage it takes almost nothing and it NEVER sticks if I move it by hand. I did shorten the spring but I can tell it's not original and maybe a little weak still.

Thanks.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

I meant " so close to always working"

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic