Tron is dying (Desperately looking for Kevin Flynn...)

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
Vanderzam
MAACA Collaborator

Tron is dying (Desperately looking for Kevin Flynn...)

Postby Vanderzam » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I've started restoring a Tron cab and I just found out the game doesn't work. In fact, I should say it doesn't work anymore because it was okay last time I plugged it (six months ago).

All I get on the screen is garbled stuff (see attached pics).

I know it is not the power supply, I checked all the voltages coming out of it and feeding the main board, everything is fine. Since I'm also working on another MCR game (Satan's Hollow), I removed the Tron boards and replaced them with Satan's. The game booted just fine.

So, the problem is somewhere on one of the three boards. And that's where my knowledge ends.

Is there anyone near my area with enough wisdom to check it out and possibly find what's wrong with it?

I'm not looking for charity work, I will gladly compensate any Good Samaritan with tons of money, a weekly escape in the Bahamas or one night with Gal Gadot.
Attachments
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG
IMG_1119.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG
Quel est l’intrus parmi ces grands obstacles connus du collectionneur d’arcade : A) Le fric B) Le temps C) L’espace D) L’habileté E) La conjointe?
La réponse : E
L’explication : De A à D, il faut précéder l’énoncé par « l’absence de », alors qu’il s’agit pour le E de « la présence de »

HPR Pinball
MAACA Grand Wizard

Re: Tron is dying (Desperately looking for Kevin Flynn...)

Postby HPR Pinball » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Commence par l'habituel, les voltages du power supply, les soudures froides, enlever et remettre tout les chips des boards qui sont sur des sockets, les connecteurs, la corrosion sur les boards et proche des sockets . Vu qu'elle fonctionnait il y a de bonne chance que ce soit une de ces choses qui cloche étant rester au repos pendant tout ce temps.
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Speaking by experience with Tron and Discs of Tron boards, the ribbon cables do often go bad, especially after so many years. I suggest replacing them and like HPR mentioned, make sure there are no cold solder joints on the connectors.

The original ribbon cables were super cheap. Spend the money here first. This is one place that sells them:

http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/428/mcr-pcb ... -cable.htm
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

mdeslaur
MAACA Collaborator

Postby mdeslaur » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:05 am

Definitely start by replacing the ribbon cables as Sparky suggested. If you still have the issue, you can also try unhooking the reset line coming from the power supply.

If it's still not working, pm me, I fix MCR boards.

Vanderzam
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Vanderzam » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks for all the tips guys. New ribbon cables are already on the way, I ordered them last week before digging out the Tron cab. I knew they had to be replaced sooner or later.

I will double check for any cold solder joints and keep you posted if I find anything.

Merci pour l'offre mdeslaur, si jamais mes tentatives sont infructueuses, je te recontacte sans faute!
Quel est l’intrus parmi ces grands obstacles connus du collectionneur d’arcade : A) Le fric B) Le temps C) L’espace D) L’habileté E) La conjointe?
La réponse : E
L’explication : De A à D, il faut précéder l’énoncé par « l’absence de », alors qu’il s’agit pour le E de « la présence de »

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”