Need help with Willaims Time Warp (System 6 CPU)

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
mbudman
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Need help with Willaims Time Warp (System 6 CPU)

Post by mbudman »

Hello,

I am quite new to Williams SS and I have a Time Warp. The problem that I am facing is that the machine always boots into diagnostic mode and not game over.

Any suggestions on how to rectify?

Thanks!

Mark

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Need help with Willaims Time Warp (System 6 CPU)

Post by cap »

Stuck service button maybe.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Dave Astill
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Dave Astill »

most likely a bad battery holder if not a 5101 ram.
Providing hard to find pinball i.c.s. eprom service and more

mbudman
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mbudman »

Thanks for the info - I will try later this evening when I get home.

The battery themselves are new, but it looks like the battery holder was replaced at some point although it is hard to tell. The 3 batteries are vertical with positive end faced down.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sylvain »

To get out of audit (assuming the memory protect and the 5101 CMOS RAM chip are good), open the cash door, power the machine ON, then OFF, and immediately back ON.

You can confirm that the battery holder and batteries are good by using a voltmeter (with the machine OFF) and confirming the DC voltage supplied by the batteries is 4.5 to 4.8 volts arriving on the MPU from the battery pack. Refer to the manual/schematics for proper location of measuring points (two specific pins of the battery holder connections).

The original battery holder is often bad if batteries leaked in it in the past at some point.
Corrosion often eats/breaks-off one or more battery button contact in the battery holder.

Good luck!
-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

mbudman wrote:Thanks for the info - I will try later this evening when I get home.

The battery themselves are new, but it looks like the battery holder was replaced at some point although it is hard to tell. The 3 batteries are vertical with positive end faced down.
Not all three batteries are supposed to 'face down'. That will ruin the power flow. Ensure they're correctly facing + and -.

Post a couple photos of your battery holder with and without batteries.
Attachments
battery-compartment-kits-3xAA-4xAA-5xAA_TitleImageSwap500x408.jpg