TSPP:Reset and DMD problems.

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
Rascal
MAACA Silent Type

Re: TSPP:Reset and DMD problems.

Postby Rascal » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:35 pm

On my TSPP the DMD started doing weird things and soon after it wouldn't even boot up. Solution: I found one loose transistor on the display driver board. Re-soldered and good to go.

andre
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby andre » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:30 pm

OK.Not really progress but...Must have read the Pinwiki on Whitestar boards by Stern 10 times but on the 11 th time i saw this...

''+12V on CN2-7 -- 20V is supplied at CN1-6 and is regulated down to +12V by VR1, a 7812.
Note: the voltage at this pin will be missing if the board isn't stuffed with the 7812. It is not known when Stern/Sega stopped stuffing this location.''

Of course,no VR1 on mine... :oops:

So,now,if everything is plug on the DMD the machine won't boot and LED 204 is flashing,nothing on the DMD.I unplugged the big DMD ribbon cable and 2 seconds later,the machine will boot and LED 204 is on and i can play a normal game but no DMD.If i replug the ribbon cable while a game is on,game continue but no DMD!
Like i said,not really progress but at least i'll look somewhere else then the power supply for the DMD...
Any ideas welcome!
Why would the ribbon cable when plug is keeping the machine from booting up?

andre
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby andre » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:25 pm

cap wrote:Do you have access to another compatible machine that you could swap parts with to diagnose the problem faster?

I thought no but learned that a B\W DMD is the same.So this morning ,took the TSPP DMD and plugged it in Demo man and it was working perfect.

So,back to why the machine won't boot with the 26 pins ribbon connector plug in the DMD controller.If removed, machine boot up and play great.I tried to swap both ribbon cables with Demo man but still the same.
Is this a''normal'' sign of defective DMD controller board ? Stern 520-5055-00
Every test i do bring me back to that board...Is there anymore test i can do to be sure the controller board is the culprit?
Thanks for any help!

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:57 pm

This is exceeding my limited expertise.

The TSPP manual says its display controller board is 520-5055-03.

If you decide to replace the board, maybe you can find a replacement board with a Wanted ad on maaca.
With another board, you need to transfer the roms.

If you run out of options, you may consider a replacement board by rottendog.
http://rottendog.us/page52.html
Player One is a distributor in Canada.
http://www.theplaydiumstore.com/DATA_EA ... dmd004.htm

pinballlife sells the original board for more than twice the price
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-displ ... board.html

marcos is out of stock.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

andre
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby andre » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks Cap!
Only one more IC to check on I/O power board like they say on Pinwiki then the boards are off to Chris Higler.

Merci pour l'aide!
Je te paye la biere quand on se rencontrera!

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”