Gottlieb System 1 Power supply -12 volt and 8 volts out to lunch

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
jim43bob

Gottlieb System 1 Power supply -12 volt and 8 volts out to lunch

Postby jim43bob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:56 am

Hi everyone. Working my way through my Genie and having trouble with -12 VDC and +8VDC outputs.
Have changed all electrolytics,LM7912 voltage regulator, all diodes and adjustable pots. Have reflowed all connections.
I'm good on the 42VDC, 60VDC,+5 VDC and +4VDC.
But I'm getting -.86 VDC instead of -12VDC and +16 VDC instead of +8 VDC.
The only things left I can see to change are the two SCR's and the LM723 voltage regulator.
My inputs are good coming in on A2 P1 and I am making sure to use the right ground reference when measuring the voltages.
I even checked to make sure that LM7912(LIC1),PMD-12k-40(Q1) and MJE 340K(Q2) were isolated from ground.
Oh and I did double check the orientations of all the electrolytics and diodes.
I know I can get a new supply from Big Daddy or Great Plains but I've come this far on this one and hate to give up on it!
Any help appreciated!

sylvain
MAACA Death Knight

Re: Gottlieb System 1 Power supply -12 volt and 8 volts out to lunch

Postby sylvain » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Are you measuring the lack of -12V with connector A2P2 removed, or connected?
This is to identify if the issue is still with the power supply, or downstream.
NOTE: Never disconnect or reconnect connectors with power ON, or damage to some components could occur.

For the -12V supply, it should not be too difficult, apart perhaps for the protection circuit's SCR and Zener diode.
- check diodes CR3 & CR4 along with their orientation;
- check C4 1000uF capacitor and its orientation;
- check the 1A SB fuse in the cabinet;
- confirm you measure 14VAC on input A2P1 between pins 3 & 4;
- confirm you measure 14VAC on input A2P1 between pins 3 & 5;

As always for all of us replacing parts on boards: Always double check the work done. And the solder joints.
Confirm that the proper components are at the correct place and orientation, and are good.

UPDATE: Also make sure that A2P1 input connector is not connected backwards.

Good luck!
-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”