Bally Eight Ball - Chime Coil Stuck On

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
Newfie
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Bally Eight Ball - Chime Coil Stuck On

Post by Newfie »

Picked up a non-working Bally Eight Ball that now mostly works (after an Alltek MPU, new PSU, new connectors). The only problem now is that the 100 point chime doesn't work. I replaced the coil, and now when the game powers on, the coil activates right away and stays activated. From everything I have googled, the most likely cause would be a stuck switch on the playfield. But I visually checked them all, and they look good. Also, they all register 100 points, just don't produce the chime. I would assume that if it was a stuck switch, it wouldn't even register points?

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Bally Eight Ball - Chime Coil Stuck On

Post by sylvain »

As Sparky stated above.

According to the Bally Eight Ball service manual, the Q5 drive transistor (at least!) on the Solenoid Driver board
is shorted and will need to be replaced. A TIP102 or a 2N6045 are good replacements for it.

You also need to check the diode and wires orientation on the new 100 pt chime coil, because if the coil/diode wiring is connected backwards,
or if the diode across the new chime coil is missing or not properly connected, then a new Q5 drive transistor on the Solenoid Driver board
would blow immediately again. J2 pin 10 is the connector used for this circuit on the Solenoid Driver board.

-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Newfie
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Newfie »

Thanks for the useful info, guys.

Newfie
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Newfie »

Just to follow up, replaced the Q5 transistor, and now she works like a charm!

Thanks a bunch,

Shawn