Gottlieb System 1 Sound board

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
mbudman
MAACA Buck

Gottlieb System 1 Sound board

Postby mbudman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Hello,

Can someone assist me in getting a better understanding of a Gottlieb system 1 sound board? Below is the schematic.
Hulk-Sound2.gif

On my machine (Incredible Hulk) there are 12 pin connectors on the sound board. Pin # 1 & #2 are not used and neither is pin #12.

I would like to try understand which pins correspond directly to sound. It looks like looks like pins #3,4,5,6,7 are linked to scoring sounds (+game over).

I would like to redirect the pins to a sound card that I will build so I can play custom sounds. My sound card can take 5 volt DC input and play a sound.

It looks like the DC current of pins #3-7 are 5 volts. Is that correct?

What about pins #8, 9, 10, 11? I see reference to pins # 9-12 and I am not certain what they do.

What about pin # 8?

How is a start of game sound generated?

Is one of these pins a ground?

I have have no background in electronics or reading schematics, so any information / assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Re: Gottlieb System 1 Sound board

Postby cap » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:21 pm

9, 10 are AC input (arrow is misleading)
11,12 are ground
I would assume 8 is the sound output
R6503 is the CPU
HM7643 is a ROM 1024 x 4bits
R6530 is a RRIOT a ROM RAM I/O Timer device http://retro.hansotten.nl//uploads/6502/r6530rriot.pdf
SSS1408-6P is a Digital to Analog converter

Notice this sound card has two sets of sounds you can select with the dip switches.

If you like moding sounds, it might be a lot easier to work with a modern Stern and the pinbrowser software.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

mrmikeman
MAACA Motormouth

Postby mrmikeman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:40 am

cap wrote:
If you like moding sounds, it might be a lot easier to work with a modern Stern and the pinbrowser software.

Or any pinball that is compatible with and has a Pinsound card....
Current Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, custom topper, ColorDMD.
Stern JP LE#449(HUO) - Pinstadiums, custom topper, bunch of mods (Mezelmod).
NIB MMrRE coming Q1 2020 :shock:

WANTED:
LOTR
TSPP

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running and soon to be on Kijiji :D
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Roadshow, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Cue, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

mrmikeman
MAACA Motormouth

Postby mrmikeman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Yes pins 3-7 are the "triggers" for the sound card to produce a sound. The pull-up resistors on the board indicate that sounds are triggered when the main board grounds the signal. If your sound card requires +5 signal to trigger the sound then you need the same circuit as seen on the schematics. You need a 7404 chip to invert the signals (ground signal becomes +5). You will still need pull-up resistors. If you don't understand what I'm talking about then you need to read-up a bit. If you don't want to build an interface with those components I suppose you could try getting the signals coming out of the 7404 (the PB inputs on U2)

For the power the Gtb sound card produces it's own 5v ( and other voltages) from AC voltage so you would need to keep the original card and tap that power source. There is no "+5v" pin. Pins 11 and 12 on the connector are ground.

Does your "sound card" have an amp? Can it drive the cabinet speaker?

Also note that these sound calls can be in extremely rapid succession (think pop bumpers - 3-4 hits per second) so your replacement sounds need to be supper short also and/or you will overload your "sound card". Regardless your sound card may not be able to deal with such rapid triggers but you won't know until you try.

Good luck and post a youtube when you get it working!

Cheers,
Current Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, custom topper, ColorDMD.

WANTED:
LOTR
TSPP

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Roadshow, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Cue, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

mbudman
MAACA Buck

Postby mbudman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:29 am

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Just as an FYI, my sound board can handle sounds in rapid succession (or triggers).

The card I am using can handle 16 different sounds, which can be triggered by a 3v or 5v pulse (DC) or by closing of the loop (e.g. the two pins for sound #1 need to touch).

On the schematic I thought pins 3-7 are 5V DC. Thank you for clearing this up.

What does pin # 8 do?

Would you know which pin is for adding a credit and game start?

Thanks again.

Mark

mrmikeman
MAACA Motormouth

Postby mrmikeman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:59 am

The pins (3-7) are held at 5v when they are “dormant” and get grounded to trigger a sound.

Pin 8 is the positive connection to the speaker.

The original sound card only plays 5 notes or sounds. The game can trigger the 5 sounds in any order/combination on credit or game start and play a tune. If you change the sounds or The “notes” then it will play nonsense instead of a tune.

Cheers,

Mike
Current Lineup:

PINS

WANTED:
LOTR
TSPP

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”