Indiana Jones (Williams) - Pinsound issues

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Indiana Jones (Williams) - Pinsound issues

Postby joblo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:19 pm

I have an awesome Williams INDIANA JONES but most recently the left flipper stopped working. It was fixed by changing a fuse inside, but the next day I noticed that there's NO SOUND when I play the game anymore.

I'm NOT A TECHIE by any means, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I lowered the volume down to 0 to switch to Pinsound but still the same. So neither the game's original sound works or Pinsound (during play).

I say "during play" because when I load up the game every day, you hear the Pinsound "theme sounds" when the game is loading up, so the sound IS there, just not during the game.

I live in the West Island and would actually PAY anyone who thinks they can fix it. Have a Superbowl party this weekend...lol.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Re: Indiana Jones (Williams) - Pinsound issues

Postby Mrhide » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:36 pm

Pinsound REPLACES your sound board.
When you lower the volume to 0, all you are doing is switching the "sound set" that's on the usb key connected to the pinsound. You therefore have the original sounds and probably an alternative set or two.

"changing a fuse": was probably on the flipper board, right next to the sound board ... check and make sure no ribbon cables are disconnected around that fuse. These cables are giving the instructions to "PLAY THAT SOUND A", PLAY SOUND B", etc while the initial pinsound "theme sounds" are generated by the pinsound itself, not from the cpu of the machine. (this explains why you have sound but not from the game)
LF: GrooveCoaster + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Postby joblo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Mrhide wrote:Pinsound REPLACES your sound board.
When you lower the volume to 0, all you are doing is switching the "sound set" that's on the usb key connected to the pinsound. You therefore have the original sounds and probably an alternative set or two.

"changing a fuse": was probably on the flipper board, right next to the sound board ... check and make sure no ribbon cables are disconnected around that fuse. These cables are giving the instructions to "PLAY THAT SOUND A", PLAY SOUND B", etc while the initial pinsound "theme sounds" are generated by the pinsound itself, not from the cpu of the machine. (this explains why you have sound but not from the game)

Thank you for this explanation and relevant response, much appreciated!! I will check this out tonight and hopefully that's the solution.

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Postby joblo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:05 pm

So I opened up the backglass, fiddled around and all looked okay. But then I noticed that when I went to the MENU, there were 2 ERROR MESSAGES, see below. I have no idea what they might mean but clearly one of them references the sound board... :( Any suggestions or is it time for me to call in a tech?

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:12 pm

The first error looks like a connection problem at the connectors.
The second error is telling you that switch did not change state in the last couple dozen games. It is likely the switch is stuck, or no longer works because a cable is broken.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Postby joblo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 pm

cap wrote:The first error looks like a connection problem at the connectors.
The second error is telling you that switch did not change state in the last couple dozen games. It is likely the switch is stuck, or no longer works because a cable is broken.

Thank you for the diagnosis, unfortunately I'm not a techie so that's like German to me... ;)

If you know someone who can help ($$), let me know. I'll be swinging by Allouette tomorrow for something else, maybe I can ask them as well.

Thanks again!

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Postby Mrhide » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:30 pm

From https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-plus-help/, download the latest pinsound firmware (https://www.pinsound.org/wp-content/upl ... 011.psrom2)

Download the firmware
Copy the file on the root of the flash drive
Turn on the pinball machine
Wait for the update process to be done

Let us know if that solves it? (it did for this guy: https://qa.pinsound.org/536/pinsound-so ... face-error )

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Postby Mrhide » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:31 pm

cap wrote:looks like a connection problem at the connectors.

:roll:

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:48 pm

joblo wrote:Thank you for the diagnosis, unfortunately I'm not a techie so that's like German to me... ;)

If you know someone who can help ($$), let me know. I'll be swinging by Allouette tomorrow for something else, maybe I can ask them as well.

Thanks again!

I believe Alouette has a repair service. Talk with Robert tomorrow at Alouette. He also does house calls for his Montreal Pinball business, but you seem to be on a very short notice compared to his availability.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Postby joblo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:46 pm

Mrhide wrote:From https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-plus-help/, download the latest pinsound firmware (https://www.pinsound.org/wp-content/upl ... 011.psrom2)

Download the firmware
Copy the file on the root of the flash drive
Turn on the pinball machine
Wait for the update process to be done

Let us know if that solves it? (it did for this guy: https://qa.pinsound.org/536/pinsound-so ... face-error )

Wow, I didn't even know you could do that. Sorta like CODE updates, eh? I will definitely try this today!

Can you advise on which version I should download? (there are appear to be 4 versions) I assume I should download the first one called ORIGINAL SOUNDS? (https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-d ... adventure/)

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Postby joblo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:19 pm

I was able to update the FIRMWARE today (uploaded to USB key, replaced key in IJ) but it didn't seem to help. Still no sound and still gives that same "sound board interface error" message.

I wasn't able to go to Alouette today and it might have to wait until next week as I'm super busy tomorrow as well, which sucks because I have a bunch of guys coming over for Superbowl Sunday.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Postby Mrhide » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:53 pm

joblo wrote:Wow, I didn't even know you could do that. Sorta like CODE updates, eh? I will definitely try this today!
Can you advise on which version I should download? (there are appear to be 4 versions) I assume I should download the first one called ORIGINAL SOUNDS? (https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-d ... adventure/)

:FP: :lol:

You can actually download all 4 versions and switch from one another by lowering the volume to 0 ... and you can :o create you own sound package!

Sucks the updated firmware ain't fixing it. and why are you so far ? what the hell were you thinking living all the way west?!!

I'm out of ideas ... shows us pictures of the boards maybe?

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Postby joblo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:57 pm

>>>You can actually download all 4 versions and switch from one another by lowering the volume to 0 ... and you can :o create you own sound package!

Oh wow, that's very cool actually, never knew that! Will try that out once I get the music working again....lol.

>>>Sucks the updated firmware ain't fixing it. and why are you so far ? what the hell were you thinking living all the way west?!!

You're up North, yo! I wouldn't talk....hehehe. Seriously though, my friend who also lives in Laval like you, takes 12 mins to get to my house from her place, and without speeding or killing anyone on the roads.

>>>I'm out of ideas ... shows us pictures of the boards maybe?

It's all good. I'm accepting that this won't get fixed before Superbowl Sunday, c'est la vie. Thankfully most of my friends aren't pinballers, so playing DEADPOOL and METALLICA will probably be just fine by them. Maybe next week I'll reach out to either Michel at PLAYER ONE or the Alouette folks. Unless of course someone from these fine forums wants to help a brother out...for $$ in return?? :)))

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Postby joblo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:16 pm

Well, sadly this situation went from bad to worse. A couple of hours after updating the firmware, I heard some "weird sounds" emanating from my basement and when I went downstairs, I saw INDIANA as such:

IMG_3222.JPG

Obviously I didn't know what to do so I re-booted the pin. The PINSOUND theme still came up but now the game doesn't start up at all (and the screen shows that same thing) -- at least before you could play the game (without sound). You can't even play it at all now.

Anyway, I'm gonna reach out to Alouette tomorrow and see if they might have someone that can help.

Or if anyone in these forums knows anyone who is good at fixing such things, please Obi-Wan you're my only hope... :)

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Postby joblo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:16 pm

joblo wrote:Well, sadly this situation went from bad to worse. A couple of hours after updating the firmware, I heard some "weird sounds" emanating from my basement and when I went downstairs, I saw INDIANA as such:

IMG_3222.JPG

Obviously I didn't know what to do so I re-booted the pin. The PINSOUND theme still came up but now the game doesn't start up at all (and the screen shows that same thing) -- at least before you could play the game (without sound). You can't even play it at all now.

Anyway, I'm gonna reach out to Alouette tomorrow and see if they might have someone that can help.

Or if anyone in these forums knows anyone who is good at fixing such things, please Obi-Wan you're my only hope... :) PM me!

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:00 am

You can find Robert's contact information at montrealpinball.com

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Postby Mrhide » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:42 am

pm sent ...

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Postby mrmikeman » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:30 am

A picture of the boards like someone else suggested could help. Almost seems like battery acid damage that’s finally manifesting itself. How long have you owned it? Did you ever replace the batteries?

You could also try to re-seat (unplug and re-plug) all the ribbon cables.
Current Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Road Show - full LED, Pinsound & accessory controller(for topper), custom topper
Doctor Who - Alt Translite, moving Dalek, full LED, Pinsound & shaker, LED&GI OCD, ColorDMD
Stern Jurassic Park LE - Pinstadiums, custom topper, bunch of mods (Mezelmod)
NIB MMrRE coming 2020 :shock:

WANTED:
LOTR
SW Prem
WOZ (any edition except YBR)

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running and soon to be on Kijiji :D
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

tom_454
MAACA Half-ling

Postby tom_454 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:26 am

is it an original pinsound or pinsoundplus board?

I have an IJ with an original pinsound board? If you post pictures of the boards I can compare with mine.

As Mike suggested I would start with ribbon cables. If u are lucky that is the issue as opposed to the MPU board. Many years ago my STTNG did something similar and reseating the ribbon cables fixed it.
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Postby Mrhide » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:47 pm

All fixed ;)

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:53 pm

Mrhide wrote:All fixed ;)

What was the problem? Maybe we can all learn something.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Postby Mrhide » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:28 pm

See previous comments ;)

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Postby joblo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Thank you Mr. Hyde Phil, much much appreciated, my man!! I don't know shit about these older games especially, so it's nice when someone who knows what they're doing comes in and takes care of bizness! Merci man!! I owe you.

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Postby joblo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:31 pm

joblo wrote:I have an awesome Williams INDIANA JONES but most recently the left flipper stopped working. It was fixed by changing a fuse inside, but the next day I noticed that there's NO SOUND when I play the game anymore.

I'm NOT A TECHIE by any means, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I lowered the volume down to 0 to switch to Pinsound but still the same. So neither the game's original sound works or Pinsound (during play).

I say "during play" because when I load up the game every day, you hear the Pinsound "theme sounds" when the game is loading up, so the sound IS there, just not during the game.

I live in the West Island and would actually PAY anyone who thinks they can fix it. Have a Superbowl party this weekend...lol.

WOW. Even though the PINSOUND issues were fixed last week, the night before the Superbowl, I played another game on it and once again, after the ball went into the PATH OF ADVENTURE area and I used the left flipper to move it a little, the left flipper GAVE OUT again and now doesn't work anymore. It almost feels like a "fuse" keeps going out once the game goes to POA, not sure? Anyway, unless someone else can diagnose, I think it's probably time to call in a full blown tech from PLAYER ONE or ALOUETTE to get this puppy up and working again.

Thankfully I have a few more games in my mancave, so the Superbowl party was still a success... :)

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:09 pm

To fix a fuse problem you need to find the short somewhere. This can be trivial or super hard to find depending on where the short is. If you want to try this yourself, you need an ample supply of fuses to make experiments.

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”