Discussion... old-school 5V regulator, or new switching regulator?

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
Sparky
MAACA OG

Discussion... old-school 5V regulator, or new switching regulator?

Post by Sparky »

Hey guys,

I wanted to get people's opinions on 5V regulators used on early SS pin power supply and solenoid driver boards. So, I have a Williams System 7 pin right now that occasionally locks up. I found that the 5V voltage regulator transistor (the one on the power supply with the ginormous heat sink) is pumping out anywhere between 3.8V and 8.5V, causing MPU brainfarts. Now, the part is a Darlington NPN TO-3 transistor #2N6057 (typo in manual, says 2N6087), which can be swapped out with an available 2N6284. 10 bucks at Digikey. It is rated at 20A 100V max input.

Ballys use a LM323K which os a 5VDC 3A output.

These are old-school regulators that lower voltage by producing heat. Hence, the big-ass sink.

But... there seems to be an alternative for a while now.

instead of an LM323K, you can install this switching type supply:
https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/psu5.html#.Xl2JaqhKg2w

Been looking for a Williams replacement, and I am sure there is something out there.

So for your Ballys... would you use this, or use an old-school transistor?

Thoughts?

I know some do not like switching power supplies on vids versus originals. Just wanted to get this info out there and see what people thought.

Thanks!
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Re: Discussion... old-school 5V regulator, or new switching regulator?

Post by pinhead »

I had one of those LM323K regulator fail on my stunt cycle and it took out a bunch of IC's.

I bought a few of these new ones and I think they will be better in the long run. That old tech is not very reliable anymore.

My 5 cents
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

sylvain
MAACA Wacko

Post by sylvain »

Good question - from an energy and heat-saving, the modern replacement would make absolute sense in theory, yes.
However unsure if the high-frequency DC/DC converter inside the new switching regulator would impact the MPU or sound though.
If well designed, filtered and shielded, all should be OK.

Overall though, I am old school and prefer all boards original, and properly fixed.
I have already seen some poorly-designed replacement boards with improper cooling, under-rated components, and/or improper installation...

… my two cents,

Regards,
-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Post by semicolin »

I still have LM323K in my parts drawer. When they're done I'll go to the new one. Definitely concerned about audio interference, but I understand that can be cap filtered. Never used one yet.

4eyes
MAACA Buck

Post by 4eyes »

I use the new switching regulators quite often now. I have installed them in my EBD and on several WPC driver boards with good results. You can’t get the LM323k anymore anyway. My feeling is it will be much less taxing on the rest of the involved components on the driver board and run much cooler.
AFM, STTNG, TZ, TOM, FH, WW, TAF, JP, EBD, DISE

uberhare
MAACA Half-ling

Post by uberhare »

I love fixing old school boards and keeping machines original, however when it comes to power supplies I just replace with modern stuff.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

mdeslaur
MAACA Buck

Post by mdeslaur »

The 2N6057 is just a power transistor, the regulator is the low-power 14 pin 723 IC. You're not going to find a switching replacement for the 723 as it's low-power and the part is still produced.

The LM323K is a high-output regulator which doesn't need a power transistor to deliver a substantial amount of current, and it's out of production, that's why a switching replacement makes sense.

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”