Judge Dredd - flipper and speaker problems

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Judge Dredd - flipper and speaker problems

Post by joblo »

I recently purchased my first JUDGE DREDD machine. I love it overall but I had some basic issues which we fixed, and upgraded to color DMD, but two issues remain...

1) The left flipper was very weak when I got it. Tried to fix, but nothing helped so I just ordered a brand new "flipper kit" from Pinball Life ( Flipper Rebuild Kit - Williams/Bally 08/1993-10/1998 ) and replaced it. Worked fine...for about 5 minutes but now it's back to being the same weak-ass flipper as before (doesn't get up right ramp ever, barely pushes ball). The coil was a new one, from its appearance. Any idea what the issue may be at this point??

2) The only speaker that worked when I got it was the one under the playfield. But it was almost pure bass, couldn't hear much. The 2 top speakers weren't working at all. My friend noticed a short in the left speaker (two wires sticking out, seem to have touched the inside of speaker, looked fried). Once again, I went ahead and ordered a brand new speaker set from Flipper Fidelity ( Williams/Bally Complete Replacement Speaker System for WPC93/DCS Machines ) and replaced them entirely but once again, the top speakers STILL don't work. My friend checked all the fuses and they were all in working order. When we switched the connector from the bottom speaker to the top speakers, the top speakers worked , but then the bottom one didn't work. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks!

MIkea
MAACA Silent Type

Re: Judge Dredd - flipper and speaker problems

Post by MIkea »

If what you are saying is you switched J504 (cabinet speaker) and J505 (backbox speakers) and the backbox speakers worked, then you know the speakers and wiring are fine. The problem is on the board. I only did a quick search and don’t have any DCS pins but it seems the large capacitors have been an issue for some. Regardless, I would start at J505 and test all tracings for continuity and test all components as well.

sylvain
MAACA Wacko

Post by sylvain »

MIkea is correct for the sound/speakers - it clearly 'sounds' like the machine has a sound board issue.
Could be a cold solder joint, but more likely a bad capacitor and/or bad amplifier chip problem on the board.

For the weak flipper: Check the End of Stroke (EOS) adjustment on that flipper, ensure the wiring to the coil (low and high power) is proper,
and confirm the replacement coil number is the correct one. But issue is likely on the Fliptronics board (drive transistor), or even with one of the optos
for the flipper button. There is an overall diagram in the game manual on p.3-21.

Good luck!

-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Murphelman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Murphelman »

I sold this game to Joblo and the game worked 100% before packing it up and driving it to Montreal to deliver. I can't imagine something on a board going as a result of transport.

Right flipper was fine and so were the speakers. I know things can happen during transport but seems strange that something on a board would go just by transportation but I am not an expert.

I can definately see solder perhaps cracking as a result of transport from Ottawa to Montreal.

We had people over who have played several times including a flipper frenzy tournament on the 18th of February where everything was working perfectly fine.

Just trying to give background on this game to help maybe pinpoint an issue.
Own
Stern: Black Knight: SoR, Iron Maiden, Deadpool, Walking Dead, Jurassic Park, Game of Thrones
Bally/Williams: Shadow (out on trade), Twilight Zone, Demolition Man, Fish Tales, Jack*Bot
Data East: Nothing
Gottlieb: Nothing
Bally: Future Spa, F14 Tomcat,
Williams: Laser Ball

Wishlist
Baywatch, Transformers, X-Men, Stern Star Trek, Paragon, Metallica, GnR, GoT
:mrgreen:

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

I was first to check the machine briefly. The lead wires were blown off the left speaker core. And I did hear a slight hum off the right speaker. So, it is probably a trace or connector, or even a bad cap.

I did some adjustments to the left flipper, but with a flipper replaced, I suspect a bad connector.

Stuff just wears out. Happens.

Once this virus crap blows over, I will be able to go and diagnose better.
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Post by pinhead »

I suspect the opto on the flipper switch went bad or cold solder on the connector. If it is okay mechanically, that is the most likely cause. Try moving the opto boards to the opposite sides and see if the problem moves to the other side. Those things fail all the time.
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Post by pinhead »

I suspect the opto on the flipper switch went bad or cold solder on the connector. If it is okay mechanically, that is the most likely cause. Try moving the opto boards to the opposite sides and see if the problem moves to the other side. Those things fail all the time.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

sylvain
MAACA Wacko

Post by sylvain »

Since Sparky heard hum on the non-working channel, perhaps the ribbon cable on the sound board needs to be reseated on the sound board and MPU ends and see if that recovers ?
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

pinballmafia
MAACA Silent Type

Post by pinballmafia »

When you guys are done and cant find the issues let me know i can fix any problem on location ill be available after all this stay at home blows over

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Post by joblo »

Wow, thanks for all your responses! My friend came over today (yes, some people are still doing that, hehe) and he checked the voltage on the 4 flippers and they all showed around 46 (they're all 50v) EXCEPT for the left flipper with the issues, which only showed it working at 30v (when game was on). It was also "warming up" to the touch, much faster/hotter than the other 3 flippers. Would you assume that means there's a SHORT in the coil for that flipper and to replace the coil at this point? (it's a blue coil)

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Post by pinhead »

The switch opto can cause that. Swap the boards and see if the problem moves. I know that system very well I have been working on those games since they were new. Don't waste your money on a coil.

pharoah007
MAACA Wacko

Post by pharoah007 »

pinhead wrote:The switch opto can cause that. Swap the boards and see if the problem moves. I know that system very well I have been working on those games since they were new. Don't waste your money on a coil.

If you don't listen to Geoff, can you make a video of you burning your $$...I'm bored at home and need amusement ;)
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky
"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi
"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes
"Friendship is not about what you NEED from the other person."
- Me
I am with us.

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Post by joblo »

pinhead wrote:The switch opto can cause that. Swap the boards and see if the problem moves. I know that system very well I have been working on those games since they were new. Don't waste your money on a coil.
My friend left for the weekend but will ask him to try that next week, sounds like you know what you're talking about. Much appreciated!

joblo
MAACA Silent Type

Post by joblo »

So we wanted to swap the opto's but they are different on both sides. One is with plastic, the other with metal but they are also positioned differently, not sure they can change the sides. Please see pics below and if you have any advice, let me know.
IMG_3485.JPG
IMG_3486.JPG

luch
MAACA Buck

Post by luch »

that metal one does not look factory , might be a repro one , but it should not make a difference , as they both break the opto beam

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”