Playfield Overlay Opinions Needed

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
jim43bob
MAACA Silent Type

Playfield Overlay Opinions Needed

Post by jim43bob »

Looking to restore my Space Shuttle and need opinion on overlay.
Found two sources one being Classic Arcades and the other being Outside Edge hardtop.
In the past I had heard or read that Classic Arcades stuff was not that good but that was a few years ago.
I have yet to install an overlay and have not ordered from either supplier.
Looking for anybodies opinion on either one before I order.
Any help appreciated!

MIkea
MAACA Silent Type
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Playfield Overlay Opinions Needed

Post by MIkea »

Hardtop all the way, the other is just a decal, and not a very good one at that. Hardtop plays better in my opinion and no need for a clear coat.

GILV
MAACA Buck
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by GILV »

.......but on the other hand, if you are comfortable,well equipped and have the knowledge for applying automotive clear coat then, the overlay is a nice option also.
by the way, you can get the knowledge from proffessioals on Youtube, as for equipement goes, I found this to be very usefull and does a great job on motorcycles, cars as well as pinball machines: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... 9311p.html

I've asked a car body proffessional what was the best auto clear coat and he said "Sherwin Williams", so that is what I have always bought in the last 4 years and it does a beautiful job, a 4 liter clear bottle with a 2 liter hardener = 6 liters total costs 199$ plus taxes at Best Buy auto parts and you can do many many jobs with that quantity, practice is the key to doing a nice bright finish.

By the way, does the ball react on a clear coated playfield like it does on a hard top?
If not, what is the difference?

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Mrhide »

don't fuck around and get the real thing:
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinb ... playfield/

anything else is a mistake.
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by mrmikeman »

Mrhide wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 am

But it’s no longer the real thing. They do not silkscreen anymore. They print. From what I’ve read online the CPR playfields now chip like new games too.

Inkjet is a mistake. It doesn’t bond as well with the pf.
PINS:
Medieval Madness Royal Edition - Stern HD Glass, Mods: Lit Merlin
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: Lior Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: Gouveia Witch 2.0, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades
Star Wars Prem - Stern Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, SW Armor (Yoda)
Lord of the Rings - ColorDMD, Pinsound board, speakers, and headphone station, Shaker. Mods: Laser cut armor, POTD Ghosts, Powerbladez, LED backglass panel lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board, speakers, and shaker, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD, pinduino lighting on ramps and borg ship
Fathom Mermaid Edition (#065) - Unkown ETA

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC / XBOX 1X / Nintendo Switch

MINI-VIDS(dedicated 1/6 scale):
Dragon's Lair
Asteroids
1942/1943
Q-Bert

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *Selling soon to make room. Don't need 2 jukes.
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

GILV
MAACA Buck

Post by GILV »

mrmikeman wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:24 am
Mrhide wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 am

But it’s no longer the real thing. They do not silkscreen anymore. They print. From what I’ve read online the CPR playfields now chip like new games too.

Inkjet is a mistake. It doesn’t bond as well with the pf.
It's a matter of opinion, I would never buy a CPR playfield even if they would still silkscreen them, the wood dimples much too easier than the original 80's and 90's playfields, I rather restore an original playfield than get a new CPR one, plus, they are much too expensive, the time you take restoring a playfield is about the same as replacing it, why pay an extra 1000$?

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Mrhide »

to choose between an overlay or a new full playfield swap, opinions on quality aside, I would always choose the full playfield. It's faster.

....that's why my bride of pinbot has been in the box for the last (edit: only) 5 years (shipped 2016-01-29!) :D
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Francis
MAACA Buck

Post by Francis »

Hardtop all the way. Jacques has restored three playfield for me, one with an hardtop and the two others are overlay.
Hardtop is way better
Pinball : Taxi, Pinbot, Doctor Who, Jokerz!, Slugfest(pitch n bat), Black hole, Flash Gordon
Arcade: MAME, Supersprint (mame), Terminator 2 (mame), Silent scope 2

GILV
MAACA Buck

Post by GILV »

Francis wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:28 pm
Hardtop all the way. Jacques has restored three playfield for me, one with an hardtop and the two others are overlay.
Hardtop is way better
How does the ball react on a hardtop compared to automotive clear coated overlay?

tombiosis
MAACA QuarterPounder
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by tombiosis »

I have a Frontier with a hardtop. It plays great. The ball is a bit quieter than wood, but it’s fast and looks awesome.
Pins: 8BDlx, Frontier, The Walking Dead Pro, Jurassic Park Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Deadpool Pro
Gone but not forgotten: 6M$M, Fish Tales, Sorcerer, WPT, Elvis, Centaur II, Sure Shot, Firepower, Big Buck Hunter Pro.

WTB: Fathom, TSPP, BSD, GOT.

Quit talking and start chalking!

jim43bob
MAACA Silent Type

Post by jim43bob »

Many thanks to all the replies!
I will be going with the hardtop.
Sounds like nothing has improved with Classic Arcade
Although I would have preferred to install a new playfield, I just think the price for one now has just been jacked up well beyond what they should be considering the actual cost of material and it not being a new release by CPR.

Francis
MAACA Buck

Post by Francis »

GILV wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:27 pm
Francis wrote:
Hardtop is way better
How does the ball react on a hardtop compared to automotive clear coated overlay?
I dont see no difference!
Pinball : Taxi, Pinbot, Doctor Who, Jokerz!, Slugfest(pitch n bat), Black hole, Flash Gordon
Arcade: MAME, Supersprint (mame), Terminator 2 (mame), Silent scope 2

GILV
MAACA Buck

Post by GILV »

Francis wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:30 am
GILV wrote:
Francis wrote:
Hardtop is way better
Hey, thanks for the response.
I was wondering if someone would eventually answer my, somewhat, stupid question.

Paul
MAACA QuarterPounder
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Paul »

GILV wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:56 am
Francis wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:30 am
GILV wrote:
Francis wrote:
Hardtop is way better
Hey, thanks for the response.
I was wondering if someone would eventually answer my, somewhat, stupid question.
There are no such thing as stupid questions. If you don't ask the question you will never know.

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”