RFM new update

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
DrSmooth
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

RFM new update

Post by DrSmooth »

Just putting this out there as I found little information on the issues and fixes that may occur when attempting to update Pin2000 code. I shall put what I did. Hopefully someone finds this useful.

Downloaded new RFM code 2.24 from https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm ... pdates.jsp. Made a desktop folder and save the file there, then extracted the .exe file in that folder.
Downloaded the Pin2000 Update Manager software from http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Wil ... pdate.html
I already had a null modem cable and a USB to CB9 (serial) adapter. Downloaded the driver for it. I had to make sure the USB was working on COM1. Very important.
I made sure the CB9 connector at the front of the cabinet was connecting to COM1 of the PC. For that, I had to physically look on the mother board to verify that it was in fact on COM1, as sometimes they are not.
I ran the Pin2000 Update Manager software and it worked (once I moved the USB COM port to COM1). I made sure it was on COM1 and 115200Baud, pressed the "Connect to Game", and it did.
I pressed "Scan Drive for Updates" made sure it was looking on the proper drive C:. It found it pretty quick. I checked off the Update Game and Sound Programs, then pressed "Update".

This is where I hit a snag. It started to load... then error. My pinball 2000 Update Manager gave the error -Unable to update due to fupdate failure [32] and as some points [30]. I tried different baud rates as per some site information I found scattered. Same issue. Online, in various sites, I found indications of Windows software conflicts with newer windows platforms and some suggested it required an older PC with windows 98... which I do not have. So I found an old laptop with Win XP. Much newer code than 98...but that's what I had. Luckily it had a CB9 Com port adapter on it. So, I no longer required the CB9 to USB adapter at the end of the NULL modem cable. I loaded the files onto a desktop folder. I reloaded Pin 2000 Update Manager and followed the same procedure. It worked.
So.. was it the old PC or the USB to CB9 converter? Either way, that's how I got past fupdate errors.
World Cup Soccer, Space Shuttle, D&D, Demolition Man, Revenge From Mars, Gorgar, Baywatch, Iron Man, Blackout, S-Spider-man, Black Hole, F-14
Gone: Judge Dredd, Spring Break, Elektra, Big Guns, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Hard Body, Special Force, Devil's Dare, Lizard, Dr.Who

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: RFM new update

Post by GILV »

Thanks for posting, could eventually be usefull to someone.
Much appreciated. :)

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by necro_nemesis »

Could be a few things, maybe the way the port addresses are mapped in newer 64 bit Widoze OS's. Using USB / serial adapters is also a PC shitshow in the making. The FTDI chips that are generally driver supported in Windows have a couple of Chinese clones like the CH340 commonly found which although providing the same functionality are not driver compatible. It seems you got past the potential driver stumbling block and hit another.

If you see my post I just posted on an old skool EPROM programmer it follows this logic. Old tech works with old tech. New tech doesn't necessary work as easily with old tech and generally is a ton of Googlefoo to get it to work. The key is knowing what old tech to hang onto in event you may need it. Generally the answer is in holding onto old for maintaining the tech you aim to maintain. The rest is landfill.

Pin2000 boards scare the crap out of me due to the software being written to support such a specific set of obsolete obtuse hardware. Congrats making it through this upgrade.
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by mrmikeman »

The place where you got the update also has a modern 64-bit interface for updating p2000. While it isn't free you should consider supporting the author as that's how he keeps creating updates to the core RFM software.

Also, you don't need the actual interface. There is a way to do a command line update although I can't remember now it's been a year. It did work but it wasn't a pretty interface.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by necro_nemesis »

Shoot. Nucore is now free. http://www.bigguyspinball.com/nucoresupport.shtml Someone sell me your dead RFM. lol. I liked the game but didn't like sitting on the value of one with the original working boards in it. For the right price I'd be happy with a homebrew Franken-RFM though.
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.