Bally Xenon issues..probably a few....

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
nachos73
MAACA Newb

Bally Xenon issues..probably a few....

Post by nachos73 »

Hello all,

I have a xenon that won't coin up/start. I press the coin switch and I hear a sound. The outhole switch doesn't register in test mode. I checked the diode and it's good. Traced wires back to main board and they tone out. On the backglass the "ball in play" is on. The shoot again and tilt light may flash randomly. The mu self test is good I believe. Two quick flashes then blinks 6 times then it stays on. The 5v led is on. Im wondering it something on the board. Not quite sure where to start. Any direction or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Donato

sylvain
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Bally Xenon issues..probably a few....

Post by sylvain »

It seems the game goes in attract mode after power-up, from the description.
Need to confirm if the issue is with switches or MPU or solenoids drive.

1- make sure *two* balls are placed in the outhole/under the apron;
2- make sure those two balls are *detected* by the MPU
- check mechanically (microswitch/contact activated); use a multimeter to confirm;
- check electrical continuity to the MPU switch matrix connector
- make sure a 'daisy-chain' switch matrix wire isn't broken-off under the playfield on that switch row or column.
- use the game manual schematics for guidance.
3- you indicated that the outhole switch doesn't register in test mode - check the switch itself first mechanically/electrically
4- confirm the MPU has no corrosion at the bottom near the rechargeable battery and connectors/pins (J2,J3,J4)
5- confirm all pins in J2, J3 and J4 housing connectors pins are making firm contact and none of the pins are broken/corroded
5- check for possible cold solder joints under the MPU for header pins of connectors J2, J3 & J4.
6- Are all solenoids working in self-test (and good F4 fuse and good fuse under the playfield) ?

If switches are all good and reporting to the MPU connectors, and no corrosion in the pins/connectors, no cold solder joints, then issue is probably a chip on the MPU.

Good luck!
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40 years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

nachos73
MAACA Newb

Re: Bally Xenon issues..probably a few....

Post by nachos73 »

Thanks for the info i will let you know what it ends up being!

Donato

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”