Aristocrat Shuffle Alley Revival

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Re: Aristocrat Shuffle Alley Revival

Post by mrmikeman »

It lives!!!!

So with the Pincoder module I ran all the tests and they came out fine. I did the "RESET CMOS" which I think is what did the trick. With a regular 5101 RAM chip I would have just had to remove the batteries. Since this is NVRAM you need to reset it to nothing for early boards like this to be able to boot.

Sooo. Game now boots and ALL displays work :o :shock: Nearly fainted when I saw THAT!! Wish I hadn't bought LED bowler displays for it(6 x player displays and master). I was so sure that some of the displays would be out. Oh well.

About 30% of the inserts do not work properly. They either don't light at all, are way too bright, or are always dim. This indicates a short in the matrix somewhere. Will tackle that soon.

Switches barely work. The Molex interconnects are corroded. Since this is not a full refurb I really don't feel like replacing a dozen 10-15 pin connectors. I will see if I can use a small file and come contact cleaner. I want to tackle this issue first in case it's related to the inserts not working well.

Still waiting on my PBR order which has the rubber rebounds (front, back, and 2 sides) and some bowling pins! Should get it this week.
Last edited by mrmikeman on Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

mrmikeman wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:41 pm It lives!!!!

So with the Pincoder module I ran all the tests and they came out fine. I did the "RESET CMOS" which I think is what did the trick. With a regular 5101 RAM chip I would have just had to remove the batteries. Since this is NVRAM you need to reset it to nothing for early boards like this to be able to boot.

Sooo. Game now boots and ALL displays work :O Nearly fainted when I saw THAT!! Wish I hadn't bought LED bowler displays for it(6 x player displays and master). I was so sure that some of the displays would be out. Oh well.

About 30% of the inserts do not work properly. They either don't light at all, are way too bright, or are always dim. This indicates a short in the matrix somewhere. Will tackle that soon.

Switches barely work. The Molex interconnects are corroded. Since this is not a full refurb I really don't feel like replacing a dozen 10-15 pin connectors. I will see if I can use a small file and come contact cleaner. I want to tackle this issue first in case it's related to the inserts not working well.

Still waiting on my PBR order which has the rubber rebounds (front, back, and 2 sides) and some bowling pins! Should get it this week.
Not planning to do a retheme for it, one day? 8-) (yes, Sparky knows about that image bellow, lol). Tron, Big Lebowski, black lights. What's not to like!!
The-Big-Tron-owski(1)(1).jpg

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Tested the switches directly on the driverboard today and they all work. So it’s the switches themselves and/or the connectors.

Also tested the lamp matrix. I do have issues here. 3 columns are out with 1 with visible damage on the TIP42. Will change the drivers, pre-drivers, and the 7408. Already swapped the PIAs just to be sure and the PIAs are good.

Replaced all the caps on the sound board. Sound is less harsh now and volume control works better.

I messed up the ventilation fan.. it was noisy so I took it apart and cleaned it. Was still noisy so pulled the moving part off temporarily yesterday for some quick other work. Fast forward to today and forgot about it. Machine was on for over an hour while I worked on it. Obviously the magnet part overheated, melted, and shorted. Blew the main fuse a few times trying to isolate the problem. Ugh.

Doesn’t matter I have way better 120vac fans already at home.

PBR order is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Woot! I will be shuffle bowling by the weekend!
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

World_of_Warships wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 pm Not planning to do a retheme for it, one day? 8-) (yes, Sparky knows about that image bellow, lol). Tron, Big Lebowski, black lights. What's not to like!! The-Big-Tron-owski(1)(1).jpg
Hmmmm. Hadn’t thought about it but going for the Cosmic bowling vibe may be something I’d consider tackling.

Black lights and funky colours for sure. Will see. Never watched Big Lebowski but if I bother watching it maybe I will want to go with that image lol.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

mrmikeman wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:36 pm
World_of_Warships wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 pm Not planning to do a retheme for it, one day? 8-) (yes, Sparky knows about that image bellow, lol). Tron, Big Lebowski, black lights. What's not to like!! The-Big-Tron-owski(1)(1).jpg
Hmmmm. Hadn’t thought about it but going for the Cosmic bowling vibe may be something I’d consider tackling.

Black lights and funky colours for sure. Will see. Never watched Big Lebowski but if I bother watching it maybe I will want to go with that image lol.
Je vais faire semblant de pas avoir lu que t'as jamais vu The Big Lebowski..lol

https://youtu.be/KdOjVsfuKPs

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

I have some breakers around here that work great when soldered to a burnt fuse casing. Super useful when troubleshooting something like this. Let me know if you want and I’ll find a way to get them to you.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

That would be awesome. Are you in Mike Casselman’s tounrament in Sep? We could meet there
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Finally got my parts in today. Installed new rubbers all around, new pins installed, new ballast. Machine’s finally fully re-assembled. Few new issues popped up.

2 pins won’t raise. Weak coil pulse.

Reset motor relay gets stuck on 50% of the time. Binding somehow.

1 sound note isn’t working. I can trigger it by grounding the associated coil transistor. Driverboard issue somehow. EDIT: I think my PIA swap may have introduced failures on the coils. Will check tomorrow!

Switches seem not sensitive enough. Will do the switch matrix mod for the driverboard as published by williams. Should make them more sensitive.
Last edited by mrmikeman on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Also fully LED’d the game and made instructions cards in MS Word and printed them today.
Attachments
1B83A8A2-0CC7-4592-84FC-E5BBE7B55342.jpeg
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Very well done Mike, nice !
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Sparky wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:41 am
mrmikeman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:06 pm
Switches seem not sensitive enough. Will do the switch matrix mod for the driverboard as published by williams. Should make them more sensitive.
The staple trick! Look up TNT's video on Youtube for Aristocrat. He shows the staple mod.
I can do better lol. Was looking to reach 100$ on my last Digikey order so added some “real” 0 ohm resistors (white with single black line). It’ll look better than staples 😃

Now if I could only find someone local with a spare PIA chip they could sell me. Only need 1. Already ordered some but I’m stalled again until that comes in.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Sparky wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:41 am
mrmikeman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:06 pm
The staple trick! Look up TNT's video on Youtube for Aristocrat. He shows the staple mod.
Here you go! No staples were used or misused in this repair lol.

Before:
D0D9B22A-9DA8-4D2E-8919-13B7250FCFF0.jpeg
After:
4288C9DE-BF79-4C75-B1EC-0DE8A2FAE2E2.jpeg
I also upgraded the lamp matrix resistors to 5W.
EF22AB84-32CB-405A-9D84-5DC704E4A062.jpeg
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Left overs lol:
2C6E981F-F2FC-4739-BFF8-ABB6B5B75443.jpeg
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

Beau travail! J'ai hâte de voir au final quand tu vas jouer une partie. Grosse machine, lol, mais vraiment belle! Je vais continuer à rêver que tu va la faire passer à un thème style Tron :-)

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

OK So after wasting a whole lot of time erasing then reprogramming EPROMs with different GAMEROM files I've found online, none of which were really Aristocrat shuffle alley, I decided to re-install the original masked ROMs. Luckily those (gamerom) were not corroded and damaged. They work!!

I did read them and tried combining into 1 file to burn on a 2716 but I was unsuccessful. Whatever I burned didn't load.

I did confirm that I have a damaged PIA. I checked the schematics and the PIA I had on the lamp matrix with blown out columns is now the one on the solenoids. The solenoids that don't work are the same data lines as the blown columns. This indicates a bad chip. Waiting on my replacement. I can still play the game however since the weak coil only affects 1 pin(#7) and screws up the sound effects, not ideal but not critical. At least now with the correct software running the game selection actually shows the correct game scoring scheme.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

World_of_Warships wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:40 pm Beau travail! J'ai hâte de voir au final quand tu vas jouer une partie. Grosse machine, lol, mais vraiment belle! Je vais continuer à rêver que tu va la faire passer à un thème style Tron :-)
Just for you/juste pour toi! Lol

https://youtube.com/shorts/A332j_J5abo?feature=share
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

So it’s now fully up and running. I hate it when I jump to conclusions and buy parts for nothing. Ugggh. As it turns out the switch matrix PIA isn’t fully used. The shuffle roms only use a 5x8 switch matrix. Those unused 3 columns happen to be on the bad lines of the faulty PIA. So of course the faulty PIA works great in that position.

The missing sound was a damaged TIP120. Replaced. All sounds now work great.

Made a plastic pan to collect the falling sand/wax/whatever it’s called.
F511F3E0-0018-4F6F-82B0-71378DB3465E.jpeg
So all I could do now is make it prettier which won’t be happening for now. I need to get started on my STTNG refurb.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

mrmikeman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:00 pm
World_of_Warships wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:40 pm Beau travail! J'ai hâte de voir au final quand tu vas jouer une partie. Grosse machine, lol, mais vraiment belle! Je vais continuer à rêver que tu va la faire passer à un thème style Tron :-)
Just for you/juste pour toi! Lol

https://youtube.com/shorts/A332j_J5abo?feature=share
Excellent, ça l'air le fun! Vraiment une game pour jouer en gang!! Content de voir que tu l'as sauvé!

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

time to show it off with a gameplay video? Congrats!
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

cait001 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:16 am time to show it off with a gameplay video? Congrats!
Already did.. 3 or 4 posts up ;)
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Mindstorm88
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Mindstorm88 »

mrmikeman wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:49 pm OK So after wasting a whole lot of time erasing then reprogramming EPROMs with different GAMEROM files I've found online, none of which were really Aristocrat shuffle alley, I decided to re-install the original masked ROMs. Luckily those (gamerom) were not corroded and damaged. They work!!

I did read them and tried combining into 1 file to burn on a 2716 but I was unsuccessful. Whatever I burned didn't load.

I did confirm that I have a damaged PIA. I checked the schematics and the PIA I had on the lamp matrix with blown out columns is now the one on the solenoids. The solenoids that don't work are the same data lines as the blown columns. This indicates a bad chip. Waiting on my replacement. I can still play the game however since the weak coil only affects 1 pin(#7) and screws up the sound effects, not ideal but not critical. At least now with the correct software running the game selection actually shows the correct game scoring scheme.
pmed you some roms