DIY Playfield Rotisserie for < $100

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
mwong168
MAACA Super Contributor

DIY Playfield Rotisserie for < $100

Post by mwong168 »

I came across this home made rotisserie made by some guy named Mike (aka pinballmike217) on RGP. It was posted on another pinball forum I frequent and he made a pinball rotisserie for under $100 of parts from Home Depot that can be taken down in minutes and stores easily.

Stock List:
8 X 3/4" "T"s
4 X 3/4" X10" black pipe
2 X 3/4" X 36" black pipe
2 X 1/2" X 4" black pipe
2 X 1/2" X60" black pipe
2 x 1/2" caps
2 x 1/2" flanges
48" perforated angle iron
2 faucet handles with square centers
4 X 1/4" X 1" thumb screws
4 X 1/4" X 1" carriage bolts
2 x 1/4" X 2 1/2" carriage bolts
6 X 1/4" nuts, flat, and lockwashers

If you don't have them, you will also need 4 x1" "C" clamps, a 1/4NC20 tap, and a #7 or 13/64 drill bit.

Instructions:

Picture 1 - Stock

Picture 2 - Four T's need to be drilled and tapped as shown for the feet. T's must be drilled laying flat. Two T's must be drilled and tapped for the axle assembly. These must be drilled from the top.

Picture 3+4 - Assemble the faucet handles with the two long carriage bolts, washers, and nuts as shown and thread into T's. Thread the four thumbscrews anto the four T's that will be used as feet.

Picture 5 - Lay out stock as shown. Thread the four 10" pipes into the four feet. Connect each pair into another "T" in the center. Make sure the feet are flat on the floor and the center "T" is pointing straight up.

Picture 6 - Thread the two 36" uprights into the center "T"

Picture 7 - Run the two 60" crossbeam pipes through the feet "T"s

Picture 8 - Thread the axle "T" onto the upright, parallel to the crossbeams.

Picture 9 - Insert the 4" pipe through the axle "T" and install a cap on the otside and a flange on the inside.

Picture 10+11 - Cut the 48" perforated angle iron in half and secure each half to a flange with two 1" carriage bolts, washers, and nuts.

Picture 12 - If you have any spraint paint lying around, use it.

Picture 13 - This shows you how little space the rotisserie needs for storage.

Picture 14+15 - Go restore something.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike217/se ... 3268/show/

Make sure you tighten all the black pipe super tight when assembling. Also, give the thumbscrews in the feet a good crank with a wrench once the crossbeams are positioned so they won't come loose. If you want to do a tabletop or sawhorse version, the axle assemblys stay the same. Just substitute everything below the axle "T" with a 3/4" X 12" black pipe and a 3/4" flange. Screw the flange onto the top of your table or sawhorse and get to work.

jojob
MAACA Mega Contributor

Re: DIY Playfield Rotisserie for < $100

Post by jojob »

very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
dungeons and dragons de bally
f-14 tomcat de williams

monkeybug
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by monkeybug »

These are fine if you are on a serious budget. I made a DIY one once. It was mediocre at best. Fine if you do 1 game. but if you plan to do a few or many...... buy a serious rotisserie. You get what you pay for.

wbradley
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by wbradley »

Where can I pick up a decent but not overpriced rotisserie? Looks like we will be giving up the nanny when my son starts school in the fall. I will have her former bedroom as a shop with a door and a lock!
BSD, CII with CPR p/f, JD, SM, TOM (loaner), Zizzle POTC (pimped)
Interested in LOTS! Limited space and quality over quantity.

websherpa

Post by websherpa »

The one above is very similar to mine except that I used all angle iron (of the "holey" type), and that way I can get a triangle brace at each end and cross-bars in the back (which still allow rotation, but provide additional stability). I haven't used it much lately, but when I set it up next I'll take a couple pictures.

monkeybug
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by monkeybug »

Doing some spring cleaning and came across my first attempt at a rotisserie. I have no use for it, so if anyone wants/needs it.... make me an offer. Beer is always a good trade. No offer refused (unless its insulting!).
Attachments
DIY Playfield Rotisserie
DIY Playfield Rotisserie
DIY Playfield Rotisserie
DIY Playfield Rotisserie
DIY Playfield Rotisserie
DIY Playfield Rotisserie
DIY Playfield Rotisserie
DIY Playfield Rotisserie

MadTitan
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by MadTitan »

I bought a rotisserie at Allentown. I know, I know.......
But.... It's a great design and I'm running out of time to get my DW ready for the ottawa show. I can't seem to find time to run around to source parts to build my own. Anyway, I talked him down in price and got a good deal. Check it out, it's pretty awesome

http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-Mobile-pinb ... 5447wt_922

Splitskull
Admins
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Splitskull »

This thread deserves a sticky.

Ty mwong.

monkeybug
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by monkeybug »

monkeybug wrote:Doing some spring cleaning and came across my first attempt at a rotisserie. I have no use for it, so if anyone wants/needs it.... make me an offer. Beer is always a good trade. No offer refused (unless its insulting!).
Rotisserie is currently spoken for.

QN
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by QN »

MadTitan wrote:I bought a rotisserie at Allentown. I know, I know.......
But.... It's a great design and I'm running out of time to get my DW ready for the ottawa show. I can't seem to find time to run around to source parts to build my own. Anyway, I talked him down in price and got a good deal. Check it out, it's pretty awesome

http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-Mobile-pinb ... 5447wt_922

Dude. I haven't even spent that much on a machine yet. :FP:

It does look pretty slick though.

MadTitan
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by MadTitan »

then your machines suck :)

i didnt pay that much. and no shipping.

...... aaaannnd...... playing a game beside the cabinet is pretty awesome too
Attachments
IMG_0166.JPG

QN
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by QN »

MadTitan wrote:then your machines suck :)
No argument there.... ;)

mwong168
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by mwong168 »

If someone is looking for a non DIY rotisserie I can put you in touch with someone who is looking to sell theirs.

-mike

Flyer666
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Flyer666 »

mwong168 wrote:Image

I came across this home made rotisserie made by some guy named Mike (aka pinballmike217) on RGP. It was posted on another pinball forum I frequent and he made a pinball rotisserie for under $100 of parts from Home Depot that can be taken down in minutes and stores easily.

Stock List:
8 X 3/4" "T"s
4 X 3/4" X10" black pipe
2 X 3/4" X 36" black pipe
2 X 1/2" X 4" black pipe
2 X 1/2" X60" black pipe
2 x 1/2" caps
2 x 1/2" flanges
48" perforated angle iron
2 faucet handles with square centers
4 X 1/4" X 1" thumb screws
4 X 1/4" X 1" carriage bolts
2 x 1/4" X 2 1/2" carriage bolts
6 X 1/4" nuts, flat, and lockwashers

If you don't have them, you will also need 4 x1" "C" clamps, a 1/4NC20 tap, and a #7 or 13/64 drill bit.

Instructions:

Picture 1 - Stock

Picture 2 - Four T's need to be drilled and tapped as shown for the feet. T's must be drilled laying flat. Two T's must be drilled and tapped for the axle assembly. These must be drilled from the top.

Picture 3+4 - Assemble the faucet handles with the two long carriage bolts, washers, and nuts as shown and thread into T's. Thread the four thumbscrews anto the four T's that will be used as feet.

Picture 5 - Lay out stock as shown. Thread the four 10" pipes into the four feet. Connect each pair into another "T" in the center. Make sure the feet are flat on the floor and the center "T" is pointing straight up.

Picture 6 - Thread the two 36" uprights into the center "T"

Picture 7 - Run the two 60" crossbeam pipes through the feet "T"s

Picture 8 - Thread the axle "T" onto the upright, parallel to the crossbeams.

Picture 9 - Insert the 4" pipe through the axle "T" and install a cap on the otside and a flange on the inside.

Picture 10+11 - Cut the 48" perforated angle iron in half and secure each half to a flange with two 1" carriage bolts, washers, and nuts.

Picture 12 - If you have any spraint paint lying around, use it.

Picture 13 - This shows you how little space the rotisserie needs for storage.

Picture 14+15 - Go restore something.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike217/se ... 3268/show/

Make sure you tighten all the black pipe super tight when assembling. Also, give the thumbscrews in the feet a good crank with a wrench once the crossbeams are positioned so they won't come loose. If you want to do a tabletop or sawhorse version, the axle assemblys stay the same. Just substitute everything below the axle "T" with a 3/4" X 12" black pipe and a 3/4" flange. Screw the flange onto the top of your table or sawhorse and get to work.

Looks like In got my next project for work.......I'm bored at work, plus they have all the materials needed to build it....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"A 30 year old game will never, EVER be "100%". That's part of the charm of the game and of the hobby.. fixing is part of the hobby. It's like wrenching on an old car, and often therapeutic"

mwong168
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by mwong168 »

Here is another simple DIY rotisserie pic and shopping list totally about $30 bucks from Home Depot by my friend taylorva. Only downfall is you need to place it on a table top which might not be such a bad thing to put parts or tools down on while you are working actually.

Also check out this video of him removing his SC playfield using climbing carabiners and table lift by himself. Those who have seen or moved a SC know how heavy this little machine is! The playfield has so many coils and parts under it that someone on RGP made an add on under playfield support kit.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gR8V3rJo8A[/youtube]

VendingJunkie
MAACA New Contributor

Post by VendingJunkie »

mwong168 wrote:Here is another simple DIY rotisserie pic and shopping list totally about $30 bucks from Home Depot by my friend taylorva. Only downfall is you need to place it on a table top which might not be such a bad thing to put parts or tools down on while you are working actually.

Also check out this video of him removing his SC playfield using climbing carabiners and table lift by himself. Those who have seen or moved a SC know how heavy this little machine is! The playfield has so many coils and parts under it that someone on RGP made an add on under playfield support kit.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gR8V3rJo8A[/youtube]
That is sooo awesome! New to the forum. First post and I already learned something awesome. Thanks guys!
Vending Junkie
Stern ►Striker Xtreme -Recently upgraded to LED's in the play field and flipper buttons, also replaced 3 bad transistors on I/O Power Driver Brd
youtube ►http://bit.ly/1bljm73
Instagram ►http://bit.ly/1tzfcjb

jojob
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by jojob »

Good, simple and solid!
dungeons and dragons de bally
f-14 tomcat de williams