Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

San Francisco Rush crt monitor conversion to an lcd

Post by Azatotht »

Hi everyone,

i was browsing videos on Youtube after getting my San Francisco Rush machines and came across a great video from mpamusement. They had done something i never thought could be done, converting an old crt-type arcade monitor to an lcd monitor.

It stayed in my mind for a while until one of my monitors died. I then decided to write them a message in order to ask some questions about it. This is how i met Jay, without who i would have never been able to do it (or get the motivation to at least try).

So this thread is dedicated to him, a great guy and a great source of information. It was a pleasure to discuss with you and you certainly saved me a lot of time. He has since joined the forum and he goes by the handle BattleChaser.

I will be describing in this thread what i did to make it work, i also shot some videos of the process. They are not the greatest videos and i speak french in them on top of it all, but it should help others understand the process and hopefully, help someone upgrading their games.

For this project, you will need 2 main parts:

- a GBS-8220 HD-converter version 3.0
IMG_0790.JPG
- and of course an lcd monitor.

I suggest a 24 inches, i did measure and searched for the biggest possible screen and it turns out the 24 inches will fit nicely. For a bigger screen (say 27 inches) it will be just a little bit too wide and you will have to modify the cab to make it fit.

This will come to an expense thou, a 24 inches widescreen will be significantly smaller height wise than a 27 inches crt. The width is pretty similar however. You wont notice it that much while playing unless you have the other one running besides you with a crt (like me), then it is pretty obvious that the ratio is different and you will find the screen a little stretched. Overall i would say it is not a big deal but some purists may not like it.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

Azatotht
Admins

Re: San Francisco Rush crt monitor conversion to an lcd

Post by Azatotht »

Allright so first of all, you will have to remove the old monitor. It will be much easier if you completely remove the front part of the game (with the glass), it is easy to remove, only 3 screws on top and one on each sides underneath.

Take your time when taking it appart, you will have to remove some connectors on each side (marquee power plug and about 4 standard connectors for the buttons and speakers).

1. The monitor power outlet

The old crt monitor is connected to a power cable using a standard 3 pins connector (black/white/green). In order to plug the new lcd in there you will have 2 choices: either cut the lcd power cable plug and make a connector that will fit the old one or install a standard AC power outlet in the game... i decided to go with the second idea and mounted an AC outlet on the side of the cabinet, it is clean and allows me to use the proper power cable for the monitor.

Here comes my first video (again, it is a bit blurry and in french, but should resume the step well):

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Once you are done installing the power outlet, you should be able to hook the monitor in there and it will power on and off with the game.

Remember green is ground, black is HOT and white is neutral so hook everything up accordingly (ground inside the box, black on HOT of the power outlet (it should be labeled) and white on neutral (it is labeled as well).

Here's how it should look once you are done:

Next you will have to connect the GMB board to 5v and build a connector for the RGB signal.

The easiest way to get 5v is by connecting to a red wire comming off the power supply. Red is 5v and black is ground so hook your 5v connectors to either red and black wires from the power supply.

For the RGB connection, it should be pretty obvious:

Input (from game board -> to converter harness):
Yellow/Red -> Red
Yellow/Blue -> Blue
Yellow/Green -> Green
Yellow/Black >Black Video Ground.
Yellow/White -> Grey Video Sync. If grey doesn't work for you then try yellow. Remember, use only one of the two. Grey worked fine for me).

Now you only need to connect your lcd using a standard vga cable to either vga outputs of the card.

Here's what i came up with:

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Configuring the screen is a bit tedious until you know how to do it (thanks Jay !).

I will quote him on that part since i got a very nice and bright image once i did what he told me.

When you first get into menu, you may be unlucky (like me) and get it in chinese... just go to option 4 then press menu again, you will have a language list and will then be able to put it in english. Everything should be easier from now on ;-)

Follow this:

Press menu,
Then up
Then menu
Then up
And menu.

That should change it.

For the best adjustment, you will have to follow these great advices, it worked well for me, this all came from Jay:

First thing you are going to do is to change the language, then the resolution (change it to the 3rd option works best (1024 x 768). Then adjust the trim pots at the vga card. The 3 trim pots are for your colors. Usually these cards ship with these trim pots adjusted to full output making your colors very washed out (mines were already adjusted to half but yours might be different, it definitely looks better at half (i tried other settings)).. Turn them to half, all of them the same the best you can. This will give you very good contrast and brightness.

Then play with the following settings,
Clamp ST and Clamp SP, this will prevent your screen from turning pink or purple (mine went all purple before i did that, never again once i adjusted that option). Under geometry I believe. Also these controls the horizontal scan of the picture.

This is how you set it the best, IMO.

Start with the clamp that by default starts at 90. Start going down in numbers(89,88,87,…)not up in numbers (very important step). At some point the screen will go black. When it goes black, go one more number down(at 62 it turned black, set it to 61. Just an example, ok. Your number might be different)

Now start adjusting the other clamp that by default it starts at 95. At 62 (remember, its just an example) your screen should come back full screen with really good colors and it should not turn pink on you anymore. Leave it at this setting.

Go into the game monitor test and set it to convergence (or cross bar check). All you need is an image that shows a full screen with vertical and horizontal lines. After this hit auto adjust at the monitor itself. The monitor should adjust the screen to full filling the image all the way to the edges.

If needed, then go back to the vga card and stretch the image horizontally and vertically.

That's it guys, you should be up and running by then !

Here's how your screen will look after doing these adjustments (brightness is way too high in that video but i did adjust the monitor brightness after that and blacks are way better):

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

I will have one more video once it is done processing showing the final look once the front part has been put back on the game.

Colors are also better in that video, you will notice better blacks after i lowered the brightness.

Will be available to viewing once it is done uploading:

I hope this was entertaining and feel free to let me know how bad i am at shooting videos ;-)

If you need any help with that and have more questions, just post them here, i'm sure Jay will be happy to give you some more help.

Good luck !

ThunderStorm
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by ThunderStorm »

i did that on my california speeds, same boards as yours, but mine didn't come with the connector for the video going into the board, i had to use clips... where did you get the connector?

Thanks

Eric
Stern Mustang. Williams Indiana Jones. Williams Flintstones. Teed off. Time Machine. Cyclone. Rollercoaster Tycoon. Getaway. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. White Water. Apollo 13 and a bunch of other gameroom stuff

BattleChaser
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BattleChaser »

It should off come with the GBS card. Where did you get your GBS card from?
Attachments
Capture.JPG

AMX
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by AMX »

Pas pire pour un junior!!!! :lol: :lol:

Tu devrais mettre un video des 2 games allumées pour qu'on puisse voir la difference entre le LCD et le cathodique...

OK, maintenant... LF:San Francisco Rush! :mrgreen: :lol: (without monitor, of course!!)
Naaaaa, c't'une joke! :mrgreen:
Pinball
Pinball Owners.com/amx1
Jukebox
Seeburg DS, Seeburg AY, Seeburg 222, RockOla 418, AMI E-80
Video
Star Wars + ESB, 1942, 1943, Striker 1945, Arkanoid, Arkanoid Revenge Of Doh, Spy Hunter, Aero Fighters
Arcade
Chicago Coin TV Baseball, Midway Haunted House, Chicago Coin Varsity, United Line Up, United Sure Fire, Bally ABC Tournament

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

AMX wrote:Tu devrais mettre un video des 2 games allumées pour qu'on puisse voir la difference entre le LCD et le cathodique...
Ca fait quand-même une bonne différence, je vais faire ca quand je vais ravoir du temps, j'ai pas eu de temps comme hier depuis 3 ans LOL :FP:

C'est certain qu'idéalement, si mes moniteurs avaient été parfaits, je les aurais gardés comme ca mais la conversion est une bonne solution pour remplacer le vieux, au final ca va m'avoir coûté dans les 260$ pour convertir ca.

YellowMustard
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by YellowMustard »

super Minou...mais j ai acquis et non acqueris!!! LOL beau travail, vas tu faire l autre???
Pins:SpaceStation, :FP: :FP: :FP:

gone but not forgotten: EFTLW, Secret Service, Gorgar, Elektra, Medusa, CENTAUR, FIREPOWER, ANDROMEDA(2), HS II The getaway, BSD(2), THE SHADOW, SPACE SHUTTLE, SM, X-MEN (shakered), GRAND PRIX (Italian reimport), Tales From The crypt, BSD(2), Nitro Ground Shaker, Harlem Globetrotters, INDY500, THE SHADOW (2), Twilightzone, RESCUE 911, Stern Playboy, BOP, Roadshow, highspeed, DrWho, Starwars DE

Vids: Outrun2 SP twin, mini outrun upright,mini monaco gP, MAME Xbox powered
Gone: MAME in NBA cab (sold)

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

I forgot to mention why i wanted to go with an lcd conversion, even thou the cost is similar to buying a new crt (still significantly less but close).

Why would i sacrifice original screen size and ratio ?

Simply because i wanted it to be reusable in another game or computer. With arcade games value these days, i did not want to spend into something i will have to leave in the game once i am ready to sell/throw it away. With 24 inches lcds, i dont have that headache, if i cant sell the game for what it's worth once i am done then i will just keep it and use it either on my computer or sell it to someone else who can use it, simple. I will even be able to swap it into another cab, who knows.

Also AMX was asking for a comparison video between the new lcd and the old crt size/ratio so i made one.

It is currently uploading and will be available for viewing once processed. You will clearly see the drawback of this solution but as i said, i wanted it to be reusable and limit the investment.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

YellowMustard wrote:super Minou...mais j ai acquis et non acqueris!!! LOL beau travail, vas tu faire l autre???
Merci pour la correction David LOL, la prochaine fois je m'écrirai un scénario sur papier au lieu de dire n'importe quoi ;-p Je pense que je ne suis pas encore prêt à animer le gala des Artis :lol:

Pour l'autre, pas tout de suite, seulement quand il va mourir (et ca ne devrait tarder, il a déjà commencé à sautiller). Avant j'ai 2 beaux kits d'upgrade vers Rush the Rock Alcatraz Edition qui attendent de se faire installer :mrgreen:

JD3
Admins

Post by JD3 »

cool i like it new life to a old game as long as we keep theses things going there will always be a hobby. NICE WORK

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

J'ai essayé la game et elle fonctionne vraiment bien, une vraie game d'arcade, très excitante, j'ai adoré !!
La conversion lcd est super, j'ai joué avec et le plaisir y est sans problème :) Très belle image !
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

pinhead
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by pinhead »

Do you still have the old monitor? I could use it for parts.
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

pinhead wrote:Do you still have the old monitor? I could use it for parts.
No it is gone to a new home sorry.

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

First off, I know this is an old thread but I'm currently in the process of doing this to two of my San Fran. Rush the Rock games. I appreciate this thread because I'm using the exact same converter board as the OP and I have a few questions:

Unfortunately I don't speak/understand French so the videos are great visual aids so thank you for that.

1. In the video it appears as if you wired the wires coming off the converter board for the VGA input (Red, Green, Blue, Grey/Yellow, Black) to a 6 pin connector and then plug that into the factor harness for the VGA/Video Signal, as opposed to just cutting off the connectors and directly soldering the wires together. Is that correct???

Just looking for some clarity here....thanks.

Azatotht wrote:Once you are done installing the power outlet, you should be able to hook the monitor in there and it will power on and off with the game.

Remember green is ground, black is HOT and white is neutral so hook everything up accordingly (ground inside the box, black on HOT of the power outlet (it should be labeled) and white on neutral (it is labeled as well).

Here's how it should look once you are done:

Next you will have to connect the GMB board to 5v and build a connector for the RGB signal.

The easiest way to get 5v is by connecting to a red wire comming off the power supply. Red is 5v and black is ground so hook your 5v connectors to either red and black wires from the power supply.

For the RGB connection, it should be pretty obvious:

Input (from game board -> to converter harness):
Yellow/Red -> Red
Yellow/Blue -> Blue
Yellow/Green -> Green
Yellow/Black >Black Video Ground.
Yellow/White -> Grey Video Sync. If grey doesn't work for you then try yellow. Remember, use only one of the two. Grey worked fine for me).

Now you only need to connect your lcd using a standard vga cable to either vga outputs of the card.

Here's what i came up with:

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

BrianV80 wrote:First off, I know this is an old thread but I'm currently in the process of doing this to two of my San Fran. Rush the Rock games. I appreciate this thread because I'm using the exact same converter board as the OP and I have a few questions:

Unfortunately I don't speak/understand French so the videos are great visual aids so thank you for that.

1. In the video it appears as if you wired the wires coming off the converter board for the VGA input (Red, Green, Blue, Grey/Yellow, Black) to a 6 pin connector and then plug that into the factor harness for the VGA/Video Signal, as opposed to just cutting off the connectors and directly soldering the wires together. Is that correct???

Hey sorry for speaking french in the vid, was easier for me ;-)

Actually i did cut the connector's wires and soldered them together with the converter board wire harness. It is just hard to see in the vid...

Cut the plug that goes on the monitor and solder the wires using the color scheme i posted (thankfully in english ;-p).

EDIT: i misread your question... i guess you're right, you could cut it completely and get rid of the connector.. I like keeping connectors and it was just easier to do it that way.

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

Thanks for the answer. So you used the connector from the monitor, solder into that connector and then plugged the connector into the connector on the rush board. Yeah I think that is right.

How about for the power for the convertor board?

[/quote]

Actually i did cut the connector's wires and soldered them together with the converter board wire harness. It is just hard to see in the vid...

Cut the plug that goes on the monitor and solder the wires using the color scheme i posted (thankfully in english ;-p).

EDIT: i misread your question... i guess you're right, you could cut it completely and get rid of the connector.. I like keeping connectors and it was just easier to do it that way.[/quote]

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

BrianV80 wrote: How about for the power for the convertor board?
The easiest way to get 5v is by connecting to a red wire coming off the power supply. Red is 5v and black is ground so hook your 5v connectors to either red and black wires from the power supply.

Watch the video again you will see that part. There's a bunch of 5v wires coming from the power supply, i split one with a connector and did the same for the ground.

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

Azatotht wrote:
BrianV80 wrote:First off, I know this is an old thread but I'm currently in the process of doing this to two of my San Fran. Rush the Rock games. I appreciate this thread because I'm using the exact same converter board as the OP and I have a few questions:

EDIT: i misread your question... i guess you're right, you could cut it completely and get rid of the connector.. I like keeping connectors and it was just easier to do it that way.
So I cut the monitor plug off the monitor chassis and solder in the connector that the board came with. So it looks like this. I went with your recommendation of using the grey for sync. They yellow wire is not solder together.
Attachments
cablevga.JPG

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Well done :-)

Cant wait to see the progression :-)

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

Azatotht wrote:Well done :-)

Ahhhhhh must have done something wrong. Screen is garbled!!! Help!

Cant wait to see the progression :-)
Attachments
image.jpg

BrianV80
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BrianV80 »

Maybe a setting on my tv here is my connection
Attachments
image.jpg

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Can you open the converter's card menu ?

This will tell you if it's only adjustments or the whole connection that is wrong.

If the settings are not done yet, it might be normal. If the card's menu shows properly then just move on to the card setup.