Nitro Groundshaker backglass progress!!!

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
SkyBry
MAACA Super Contributor

Nitro Groundshaker backglass progress!!!

Post by SkyBry »

Heya gang!

Thought I would upload some photos of my progress on the Nitro Groundshaker backglass I've been working on. I completed the photo editing work a couple of months back, using and altering the high resolution photo that Mrhide here on MAACA linked me to, and some excellent images that Jim (Playpin35) over on KLOV sent me. It took some work to edit the images, but it was all worth it.

I took the completed image to a print shop, and they printed it out onto 3M Scotchcal film, which is both decently tough and at the same time relatively easy to apply to glass. I just had to trim the score areas out, and then applied it to the cleaned up backglass that was kindly sold to me (for a very reasonable price) by Mike (TheChurchOfTheSilverBell). Once applied, I trimmed off the tiny amount of extra material that overlapped at each side (less than 1 mm on each side... very, very thin bit...), and allowed it to dry overnight. (Applying Scotchcal film is much easier of you spray the glass first with water mixed with a bit of dish soap... you then press the water out.) Anyway, I slid the glass into place for the first time today, and I have to say I am VERY happy with the result!

Just to note, I haven't applied a back masking layer yet; this is coming next. But for now, here are some photos of the backglass in place. I think it looks awesome, and it looks just as good up close. :) MANY THANKS to all that helped me in this process!!!! Here are the pics;
Attachments
DSCN1597.JPG
DSCN1595.JPG
DSCN1589.JPG
Last edited by SkyBry on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

G-Man
MAACA Mega Contributor

Re: Nitro Groundshaker backglass progress!!!

Post by G-Man »

Yeah, it's looks great to me. Nicely Done !

Photoshopping can be tiresome, tedious work for sure.

What are you planning to use for the masking ? And how will you get the masking exactly where you need it ?

SkyBry
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by SkyBry »

I don't mind the photoshopping, actually... ten years working at Corel finally pays off on that side. ;) For the masking, I'm not sure yet. I have a good image of the mask layer, so it's really just a matter of deciding how I want to apply it, and do it... it doesn't have to be fancy, but I do want to keep in mind any heat that could be generated by the lights, so I'll be using something heat resistant. (I could just print off another layer of film at the print shop, but I'm trying to keep the price down.) Still... so far my costs are only $60 total, not counting my time. ;)

-Bry

SkyBry
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by SkyBry »

Here's a link to the final image I created for the backglass, in case anyone wants a copy.

http://imageshack.com/a/img546/7872/pauc.jpg

It's about 7.5 mb in size.

-Bry

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Chris Silver »

I was talking to SkyBry today and decided to bump this.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

SkyBry
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by SkyBry »

Thanks, Chris. :)

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Cool. I have nice playfield scans if you guys need them for a restoration.

pinhead
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by pinhead »

I have a nice game with no backglass, thanks Bryan for sharing!
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

SkyBry
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by SkyBry »

OTTOgd wrote:Cool. I have nice playfield scans if you guys need them for a restoration.

Nice! I'd be interested in seeing those! If anyone has an image they need touched up, I'm also pretty handy with PhotoShop. I had to touch up the NGS backglass image quite a bit from the original to make sure the colours stayed consistent throughout (e.g. areas of colour can change if the image is from a photo as opposed to a scan, and there are often dust/marks/imperfections that can be removed/improved). My image for the NGS isn't 100% perfect, as I didn't have a scan to work with... it was a high res photo, but it was good enough. (I didn't bother touching up the scoring window areas, since they will be trimmed out.)

-Bryan

YellowMustard
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by YellowMustard »

amazing work!!! i dont have the game anymore but i ll print that for wall art for sure, thanks!!!
best BG ever produced for me... so much details...
Pins:SpaceStation, :FP: :FP: :FP:

gone but not forgotten: EFTLW, Secret Service, Gorgar, Elektra, Medusa, CENTAUR, FIREPOWER, ANDROMEDA(2), HS II The getaway, BSD(2), THE SHADOW, SPACE SHUTTLE, SM, X-MEN (shakered), GRAND PRIX (Italian reimport), Tales From The crypt, BSD(2), Nitro Ground Shaker, Harlem Globetrotters, INDY500, THE SHADOW (2), Twilightzone, RESCUE 911, Stern Playboy, BOP, Roadshow, highspeed, DrWho, Starwars DE

Vids: Outrun2 SP twin, mini outrun upright,mini monaco gP, MAME Xbox powered
Gone: MAME in NBA cab (sold)

RacingMat
MAACA New Contributor

Post by RacingMat »

SkyBry wrote:Here's a link to the final image I created for the backglass, in case anyone wants a copy.
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/7872/pauc.jpg
It's about 7.5 mb in size.
-Bry
Hi SkyBry,
Many thanks for your sharing! Would you mind sharing the masking image also?

Yours
Mat