My New Find "Bally's Baby Pac-Man" UPDATED!!

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
dannyc99
MAACA Silent Type

Re: My New Find "Bally's Baby Pac-Man" UPDATED!!

Post by dannyc99 »

I ordered a new video chip off line (thanks Sparky) and decided to remove the playfield in the mean time , clean it and replace the two cracked plastics. I found a lot of solder joints broken underneath for some of the lights. so i got them all fixed up , then decided to install as many Led lights as possible. I put color changing LED's under the Fruits section as I thought it added to the theme well. Put super bright lights in the back as it was very dull back there. Every Playfield rubber was replaced as well. I think it turned out good.
Attachments
DSC_0474.JPG
DSC_0469.JPG

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by WARLOCK »

Nice job.
Well done.

Sparky
MAACA OG
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Sparky »

Off topic a bit... I have always wanted one as I liked playing it years ago. But there was only one thing that drove me nuts about it... the flippers practically pointing down. I didn't even mind the flipper gap that you could park Kim Kardashian's ass in. But the flippers pointing down and not being parallel to the orbit surface just sucked ass for me.
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

dannyc99
MAACA Silent Type

Post by dannyc99 »

I haven't adjusted them yet but they can come up a bit. I was playing with that while doing the selenoids tests. It seems if they are in a normal position the ball will hit them when. It ejects from in between the flippers. Dumb
Lol

dannyc99
MAACA Silent Type

Post by dannyc99 »

WOW IM REALLY REALLY CLOSE AND TIRED .

Seems to be a little buggy but getting there
I think im just down to a playfield issue maybe.
Sometimes it goes back to video mode if I hit the right flipper to hard or or it hits stuff hard on the play field. once in a while it doesn't realize its shot the ball out yet and sometimes the ejector/drain dosent ralize the ball came back.

High note I got to level three lmfao. and 102,000 high score

Any thoughts now? every ones help and the help of mr google has been amazing.

Thanks to everyone. I feel like im in the final stages now.

dannyc99
MAACA Silent Type

Post by dannyc99 »

I know this is going to show my pinball newbieness but to me the flippers look like they are wired weird. the right one is different then the left.

There has been repairs that's obvious by the wire wrapped around the middle terminal. also the little tiny wires coming out of the coil are different on each one. the right side the tiny silver wire is attached to the middle terminal. also the coils are really lose and flopping around. not sure if that's normal. I tried my best with the pics. its the bottom two pics
Attachments
DSC_0482.JPG
DSC_0484.JPG
DSC_0481.JPG
DSC_0483.JPG

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

dannyc99 wrote:[youtube]...Sometimes it goes back to video mode if I hit the right flipper to hard or or it hits stuff hard on the play field. once in a while it doesn't realize its shot the ball out yet and sometimes the ejector/drain dosent ralize the ball came back.
Easy... your ball trough switch is adjusted too close. So when you have a sufficient vibration, the switch makes contact, simulating that your ball is in the hole. The game thinks that you lost your ball so it goes back to the video mode.

Make the gap between the switch blades bigger, but still close enough so that when the ball is lost, the switch makes contact.

dannyc99
MAACA Silent Type

Post by dannyc99 »

And that's that, thank you sir. works perfect as of now. I just have to explain to the wife why I ordered spare parts and don't need them at the moment when they get here in the mail lol.

One last question till it breaks again. I was able to get every light working except one light in the tunnel section . do the sockets them self go bad?

And an OPEN INVITATION to anyone who wants to stop by and try it ..........you are more then welcome.

SO........

Fixed .............

1. Had Dan (bally Boy)remove the battery and replace it with a cap.
2. Had Dan clean up the board and replace socket and chip at u6.
3. Again Dan replaced sockets at u11 and u 12.
4. Cursed it for still not working but getting the right flashes.
5. Un did every connector in the game cleaned them out with contact cleaner and 91% alcohol.
5. Re-attached the ground strap on the back door.
6. Removed the mpu board again and cleaned then reflowed all the solder at j2 j3 and removed every chip and reseated them.
7. Took out idiot board oops...Vidiot board and removed every chip inspected and re-seated.
8. Soldered a wire on to the top right ground area and attaced it to the screw that hold it to the mounting bracket. (this attached the grounds on both sides.
9.Cleaned the colour pots on the vidiot board. this seemed to fix the out of sync issues.
10. ran a wire fron the ground strap at the bottom of the hinge all the way up near the middle just in case.
11. Installed led's cleaned the playfield and replaced rubbers and plastic.
12. Adjusted the switch at the ball eject hole. thanks sparky.
13. Cursed in a happy manner.

Now for that one dead bulb.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

OK... here's a little help for your flippers to make you understand them. Print out the drawing I just made you. Crude... but should help you out.
flipper power.pdf
(86.62 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
The way it works is simple. A flipper coil is essentially 2 coils in 1... the High Power coil (for flipper activation) and the Low Power coil (for flipper retention). Ther eason for this is because if you held on your high power coil, it would fry quickly.

The coil is fed through the power wire, ALWAYS located on the BANDED side of the diodes. The power wire feeds the low power coil, and also send it through the End Of Stroke switch which then goes to the High Power coil. This switch is NORMALLY CLOSED (meaning, it makes contact and power goes through). So at flipper activation, both coils are activated. And once the flipper travels far enough and hits the EOS, at that point, only the Low Power coil remains activated.

Hope this helps...

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Yeah, sockets do go bad. But it could also be a lamp driver transistor.

Try a couple of new bulbs just to be sure. You never know.

dannyc99
MAACA Silent Type

Post by dannyc99 »

Your drawing is of Picasso like standard's. :-)
It's makes sense and now it seems like the wiring is right. I just looked weird to me. I did clean up the wires a bit.
There was a broken or bad solder joint at the ground for the bulb. Volt meter confirmed and I fixed her up.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

dannyc99 wrote:Your drawing is of Picasso like standard's. :-)
It's makes sense and now it seems like the wiring is right. I just looked weird to me. I did clean up the wires a bit.
There was a broken or bad solder joint at the ground for the bulb. Volt meter confirmed and I fixed her up.

WOOHOO! Another one fully working. Now, if only I had time to fix my own. LOL

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by OTTOgd »

Congrats!

Great, informative thread.

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Azatotht »

Sparky wrote: Now, if only I had time to fix my own. LOL
:sm
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

dannyc99
MAACA Silent Type

Post by dannyc99 »

Holy Crap this is a frustrating game. Also a crap load of fun. You're screwed if you don't do well in pinball mode.

dannyc99
MAACA Silent Type

Post by dannyc99 »

My playfield glass wouldn't come clean from what ever was on it so I had it compounded and polished at work to day followed by a playfield wax.

Sparkles :D
Attachments
DSC_0498.JPG

dannyc99
MAACA Silent Type

Post by dannyc99 »

Got alot of work done on the playfield removed the cloudy mylar and adhesive. Fixed some really bad areas sanded down and made it smooth with 2000 grit wet dry sand paper. Then clear coated three times. And waxed. This thing has dried for five days and still looks like it's dripping wet :-) I also repaired and or replaced the monitors connectors which helped the video be more stable and the colours more original. I cleaned all the switches so it scores properly. It looks sweet. I did not remain any parts that I didn't think I could touch up properly so it still looks like a bit of a players machine. Also I repainted the inside.of the cabinet walls.
Attachments
DSC_0480.JPG
DSC_0484.JPG

Return to “Projects”