Midway Haunted House

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
necro_nemesis
MAACA OG
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 29 times

Midway Haunted House

Post by necro_nemesis »

Other than this being the game I played as a kid there is no way in hell I would put this effort into this thing.

I had to strip the cab. One of the previous owners had more paint than talent. Elected to use some paint that was the perfect combination to turn into a crackled chaulky mess but still maintain a strong adhesion to the lower layers. Basically the worst possible choice of paint a far as restoration goes.

The repair log is ridiculous. Take everything apart i.e. 5 motor gear box assemblies, all score reels, and clean out shit that never should have been put in there. Fix boards including ones with the wrong transistors installed. Clean contacts and adjust relays and remove the odd cable tie holding a relay shut. :roll: Tear down the 8 track, yeah baby 8 track, clean everything and realign the heads. Remake the front kick panel (it was a piece of indoor siding before) and cut the back door panel. Clean and align the gun mech. The game plays actually quite well in the garage in sub zero temperatures. No display gas issues here. You actually have to aim well. I am surprised how accurate the contraption is.

What you see here is the cab with the bad crap stripped. It still needs some filling and further sanding but the crap is gone, and the gun refinished.

The finish is white (slight off white) with red flecks, then two color stencil.

I am stuck right now for a warm spot to shoot paint. If anyone has a place I can use to paint I would appreciate it. Otherwise it pretty much will have to sit until spring now.
Attachments
DSC02189 (Medium).JPG
DSC02188 (Medium).JPG
DSC02187 (Medium).JPG
DSC02186 (Medium).JPG
DSC02185 (Medium).JPG
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Re: Midway Haunted House

Post by necro_nemesis »

Gun.
Attachments
DSC02193 (Medium).JPG
DSC02191 (Medium).JPG
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.

gmaranda
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by gmaranda »

Very very nice. You are dedicated. Keep us informed you are doing great!

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

That's fantastic work.

Looking forward to seeing it painted. Were you able to make a stencil or did you find one for sale?

I wish my Gangbusters worked 100%. :(

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

OTTOgd wrote:That's fantastic work.

Looking forward to seeing it painted. Were you able to make a stencil or did you find one for sale?

I wish my Gangbusters worked 100%. :(
Pinball Pal is supposedly making them soon. I have an email out to Mike asking him when.

Here is the fall back plan (you knew there always had to be one). I am going to take some excellent photo's I found and vectorize them. Then put them through a Gerber machine and presto... stencils. ;)

Likely not presto exactly but with a whole lot of cursing and swearing... stencils!

Gangbusters! cool.

Here is quick example of plan B vectorized from a picture.
Attachments
Left Witch. (Small).jpg

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

If you know of anyone that has an HH with decent art, I would gladly loan you my floating scanner (HP 4600). I just scanned my Zaxxon sideart and I'll likely scan my Gangbusters as well to pass along to Mike. Works great.

You probably saw this guy's nice resto: http://home.roadrunner.com/~pinballpassion/DSC02862.JPG

Magneto
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Magneto »

lots of work but well worth the effort for HH.....Very NICE!!!

as for your cab Art ,I think thats the way to go.....easy ,cheap and CNC perfect!!

MadTitan
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by MadTitan »

This is the em gun game I always wanted, due to my inexperience with em though, I want one working and nice so I can learn as I go. Can't wait to see it finished.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

OTTOgd wrote:You probably saw this guy's nice resto: http://home.roadrunner.com/~pinballpassion/DSC02862.JPG

Yes. That's where I got the pics from to vectorize. His looks great. That's the kind of restore I am aiming for here.

This guy goes into some of the detail of how things work in the game. It ramps up difficulty nicely increasing motor speeds and starting a subroutine of the witch and monster doing a more random dance. Never shot well enough to get it into the fourth speed so far. Each 1000 points increments the speed and complexity of movement.

gjd
MAACA New Contributor

Post by gjd »

You can bring it down to my shop in Toronto if you want
Its in the leaside area
It has radiant heating that is suitable for painting/ low humididty
I also have some paint/prepping kit there if you need it, tack rags, etc..
Also has a garage door to open up so you don't die doing it

TwilightZone
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by TwilightZone »

As always outstanding work, Glen! NICE!

Look forward to stopping by someday and giving that a try.

Merry Christmas,
Duane
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Crap I hate prep. I really love the cabs lines, way more interesting than most and fit the era, so WTF went to town on prep to get it smooth and straight. Silver is a high fill primer as well that will be lightly sanded before finish coat.
Attachments
DSC02269 (Medium).JPG
DSC02268 (Medium).JPG
DSC02267 (Medium).JPG

Pins Only
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Pins Only »

Hey Necro, Are you headed out here any time soon?? I will grab that other game from my storage, but I need to get through New Years first.

Dave

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Pins Only wrote:Hey Necro, Are you headed out here any time soon?? I will grab that other game from my storage, but I need to get through New Years first.

Dave
Looks like Wainwright is in the cards but not sure what route I would be going or if I would be going commercial. Usually bi-pass Calgary and head north through Saskatoon, but weather can alter plans and so can lower cost airfares in some cases. Not likely soon but possible.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Shiny and white. Now for the red speckles.
Attachments
DSC02270 (Medium).JPG

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by redketchup »

I want one!
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

AMX
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by AMX »

redketchup wrote:I want one!
:lol: :lol: Of course!!

Necro, what kind of paint you used?
Pinball
Pinball Owners.com/amx1
Jukebox
Seeburg DS, Seeburg AY, Seeburg 222, RockOla 418, AMI E-80
Video
Star Wars + ESB, 1942, 1943, Striker 1945, Arkanoid, Arkanoid Revenge Of Doh, Spy Hunter, Aero Fighters
Arcade
Chicago Coin TV Baseball, Midway Haunted House, Chicago Coin Varsity, United Line Up, United Sure Fire, Bally ABC Tournament

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Base coat was Rust Check high fill primer.

Top coat is Krylon Dover White. I went deep into the bowels of this thing and I don't think it was ever bright white. I did it in off white, looks far more authentic for it's age.

Flecks are Krylon.

I pretty much nailed the flecks bang on from what I found inside the game. Looks like the shower scene from psycho now.
Attachments
DSC02275 (Medium).JPG
DSC02276 (Medium).JPG

machine.slave

Post by machine.slave »

Is that the actual Krylon speckle paint? They also make a webbing paint.. I'd love to give both a try sometime.

Lookin' good!

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

Awesome.

What is your 'flecking' technique?

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

OTTOgd wrote:Awesome.

What is your 'flecking' technique?
It's extremely sophisticated.... I take a fairly large artists brush that has a round handle and circular brush, dip it in Krylon and start spinning it between my hands. All I can say it's a good thing my coveralls are garbage already. :)

This was flecks. I believe Gottlieb was big on webbing.

Pins Only
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Pins Only »

Looks Great! A less messy way is to use a toothbrush (Your Wife's! :lol: ) dip and just run your thumb across it to spray.

Dave

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

I don't even think I would get to the point where she had red teeth before project time would be ceased.

AMX
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by AMX »

I used the toothbrush method too but your method looks to have done a great job too!
Pinball
Pinball Owners.com/amx1
Jukebox
Seeburg DS, Seeburg AY, Seeburg 222, RockOla 418, AMI E-80
Video
Star Wars + ESB, 1942, 1943, Striker 1945, Arkanoid, Arkanoid Revenge Of Doh, Spy Hunter, Aero Fighters
Arcade
Chicago Coin TV Baseball, Midway Haunted House, Chicago Coin Varsity, United Line Up, United Sure Fire, Bally ABC Tournament

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

I am starting to get outside my normal places to look for this stuff. What I am looking for is the Midway logo plate and the two 25 cent coin plastics. I don't believe CPR has them from what I have looked at on their site. See pic.

Attachments
Just some more stuff in the process of being cleaned up.
Just some more stuff in the process of being cleaned up.
DSC02288 (Medium).JPG
DSC02287 (Medium).JPG
DSC02282 (Medium).JPG
Coin door that needs the 25 cent windows and a logo plate.
Coin door that needs the 25 cent windows and a logo plate.