Dr.NO and the STERN 'sisters'

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 143 times

Re: Dr.NO and the STERN 'sisters'

Post by redketchup »

I really like the KD over the 222... The drum make all the difference for me. We had two 222 in the family and sold it both time
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Drano »

redketchup wrote:I really like the KD over the 222... The drum make all the difference for me. We had two 222 in the family and sold it both time
I agree, but I would keep both. KD for the garage and the stereo 222 for the family room inside.
I don't think the Model G is for me... but I have it already so I will finish the restore and maybe try and sell or trade it towards something that holds more than 100 songs.

dnaman
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by dnaman »

Drano wrote:25 days remaining

I'm a firm believer in working smart vs. working hard.
So, to apply new black key-lines to my Quicksilver playfield inserts, I decided to measure and cut some vinyl stencils that I could easily apply and use to create almost factory looking results.
We have equipment to do this at work so it's easy for me. However, if you do a lot of this type of work, there are home solutions that can do this in the neighborhood of $250 I think.
I've just recently discovered your restoration threads/blog. Incredible talent and it amazes me that so many of you are willing to share. Thank you all!

Adriano, regarding your black-lines, why are you using a paint pen VS airbrushing? Thicker and faster to achieve opaque lines? (Or just no need to further mask off for overstay?)

I am building up the nerve to try some of this on a 'restore' of my own. I want to create masks and I have been trying to decide on whether or not I should get a Cameo 3 or a more expensive vinyl cutter. Do you have a thread where you share details about some of your preferred brands of frisket and vinyl? Also, are your water slide decals inkjet or laser? Can you recommend a brand?

Thanks in advance.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

dnaman wrote:Also, are your water slide decals inkjet or laser?
Vid on pinside says you must use laser since inkjet ink is less stable and fades quickly.

I recommend you read his guides before attempting a restoration.
This guy is an expert and openly shares his knowledge.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... -collected
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

dnaman
MAACA New Contributor

Post by dnaman »

Thanks Cap! yes another killer set of guides and advice. I have read through some of them.

I am fully intending to use my colour laser so that is a good start. I have also read that there is a white decal sheet, that could be helpful as well. No one local has thermal water slide decal sheets so I'll have to bring those in.

Airbrushing and painting using frisket and vinyl for masks is new and I have read about some of these products leaving adhesion behind. I can see the immediate challenge and issues that this would create. Hoping to not have to learn this first hand, or at least very often ;)

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

dnaman wrote:
Adriano, regarding your black-lines, why are you using a paint pen VS airbrushing? Thicker and faster to achieve opaque lines? (Or just no need to further mask off for overstay?)

I am building up the nerve to try some of this on a 'restore' of my own. I want to create masks and I have been trying to decide on whether or not I should get a Cameo 3 or a more expensive vinyl cutter. Do you have a thread where you share details about some of your preferred brands of frisket and vinyl? Also, are your water slide decals inkjet or laser? Can you recommend a brand?

Thanks in advance.

The paint pen and airbrush are delivering the same type of media so it just comes down to ease of use and cleanup. The pen is convenient. In many cases I can re-draw a ring or other outline by hand if I am careful. If I choose to use a stencil, I can still use the pen rather than set up with an airbrush... again, for simplicity. Both are acrylic and opaque enough. These days I reserve airbrushing for smoothing out colours and making things uniform (as in the seawitch/quicksilver playfield examples posted here).

I cut my vinyl at work so I cannot comment on a unit to buy for home, but I have heard of several good options.

I actually haven't been using waterslide decals much lately. When I do, I print on a laser and have purchased specific waterslide media for laser printers.
The rub-on dry transfers I've been using lately are expensive, but they will also do a great job on the outlines. For those old enough to remmeber Letraset, it's the same stuff and it's pretty opaque.
A single sheet of black is also not that expensive when compared to custom Pantone colour sheets.So, for seawitch I created rub-on transfers for the coloured text but also for all of the rings and key-lines. These will simply be rubbed on. It should really simplify matters. I will post the results here once I've completed them. Here are the layouts I did. As you can see, I stuck in a few extra items for other playfields I'm working on too. If you look closely, I even copied a little bit of dithering (small dot patterns) from a playfield where I want to repair an area of damage that is normally near impossible to reproduce.

Screenshot 2017-10-11 10.48.48.png
Screenshot 2017-10-11 10.48.30.png
Last edited by Drano on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dnaman
MAACA New Contributor

Post by dnaman »

Drano, thanks for the very detailed response!

I have checked out the site for the rub-on transfers. Looks very cool. It is crazy to see the price difference based on requested delivery. I can see if you wanted in a few days that it would be expensive. Is it only the inked areas that are transfers off and you don't have to think about cutting anything out? Do you do anything to the top side of the art that was applied to the PF or do you essentially clear right over them?

The comment about water slide decals: "I actually haven't been using waterslide decals much lately. When I do, I print on a laser and have purchased specific waterslide media for inkjet printers." does that mean that you used both laser (thermal) and inkjet types, when you did use them?

Lastly, which brand/'model' of frisket do you recommend?

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

dnaman wrote:Drano, thanks for the very detailed response!

I have checked out the site for the rub-on transfers. Looks very cool. It is crazy to see the price difference based on requested delivery. I can see if you wanted in a few days that it would be expensive. Is it only the inked areas that are transfers off and you don't have to think about cutting anything out? Do you do anything to the top side of the art that was applied to the PF or do you essentially clear right over them?

The comment about water slide decals: "I actually haven't been using waterslide decals much lately. When I do, I print on a laser and have purchased specific waterslide media for inkjet printers." does that mean that you used both laser (thermal) and inkjet types, when you did use them?

Lastly, which brand/'model' of frisket do you recommend?

Black and white transfers are relatively inexpensive. Stock colours are a bit more and custom PMS matched colours are astronomical. That letter sized sheet I posted above with 3 colour separations for Seawitch came to about $215 due to needing x3 custom colour matches; and that's with a 20 day lead time! Pretty stupid I know, but it is the best way I have found to get good results on fine text. All my art is shown black but I have to specify the PMS colours at the time of ordering and I also indicate it in fine print at the bottom of each window. The art you see in my layouts will have nothing around it; nothing to cut out. Just lay it carefully over the area and then rub it into place. If you go back a page or two you can see the actual product being used on Quicksilver. It will have to be clearcoated of course to seal it in. I leave some of the original art visible under the airbrushing/painting to assist with text placement.

As for waterslides, I have only ever used the laser paper. That was a typo on my part (not inkjet). The last time I used this method was in the spring for a Special Force playfield I had been working on for a friend.
Today, I would spend a bit more and do it with the rub-on transfers.

I don't have a preference for Frisket. Whatever doesn't cost a fortune I guess. Grafix Frisket Film from Curry's art supply is decent if purchased in large rolls. Still very costly though.

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Here's a couple of shots of the Quicksilver cabinet.
I just did a simple cleanup for this one. It seemed a shame to paint over an original cabinet that was still in very good condition, so I mostly did some cleaning inside and out, some new labels, a new speaker, I cleaned the metal, replaced the side-rails, new buttons etc. A few small paint touch-ups were performed and the frame around the head got some bondo repair in the corners and some fresh black paint. Nothing too special, but now it looks clean and ready for a new playfield.

Oh... and of course, I refreshed a couple of new coin doors over the weekend as well. One of them for QS.

20171015_145926.jpg
20171015_142541.jpg
20171015_003840.jpg
Last edited by Drano on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by redketchup »

we want to see the coin door inside... We know the outside will look good! :mrgreen:

Awesome original cab, nice find
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

redketchup wrote:we want to see the coin door inside... We know the outside will look good! :mrgreen:

Awesome original cab, nice find
Do you think it would be on my nice rug if it was dirty? ;)

I didn't do anything special on the inside. Just dipped all the parts in a rust bath and brushed them with a toothbrush. No special polishing or paint this time. Just wanted it clean.

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

Looks great as always! I really need to kick my ass down to your place to see these beauties some day.

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Fifty wrote:Looks great as always! I really need to kick my ass down to your place to see these beauties some day.
It's not so far ;)

Here's the latest lineup change on the classic Bally/Stern wall for the time being. Obviously QS isn't playable yet.
I ended up selling my minty Ali a couple of weeks ago, so I figured I'd move Nine Ball over next to Eight Ball. It seemed appropriate.
I have no idea what to do when Fathom and Seawitch are completed. I guess I won't mind storing a couple of machines. Could be worse.
20171016_115214.jpg

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by redketchup »

woow, my kind of lineup!

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Fifty »

Drano wrote:I have no idea what to do when Fathom and Seawitch are completed. I guess I won't mind storing a couple of machines.
Store them at my place. It's not so far. ;)

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Fifty wrote:
Drano wrote:I have no idea what to do when Fathom and Seawitch are completed. I guess I won't mind storing a couple of machines.
Store them at my place. It's not so far. ;)
No problem Tim, you are always wecome. But, I've recently had hernia surgery... so you'll still have to drive here and dig a game out of my basement :lol:

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

So, my rub-on transfers arrived today.
Here's what a couple of hundred bucks looks like :(

IMG-20171027-WA0020.jpeg

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Fifty »

Drano wrote:So, my rub-on transfers arrived today.
Here's what a couple of hundred bucks looks like :(

IMG-20171027-WA0020.jpeg
Worth every penny.

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Just a little teaser.
I airbrushed some of the darker blue areas that were uneven last night. Then I started aplying some of the rub-on transfers. I love this stuff!!! :D
20171030_023355.jpg

This isn't fully complete yet, of course.
But here's a really early pic before any work was done.
Soon, there won't be anything we won't be able to repair :)
What I love about this process is that it is very close to how the original art was produced (at least in principle).

20161124_234908.jpg

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Did this today...

20171101_125101.jpg

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by redketchup »

Malade!

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Still working hard towards getting these last two 'sisters' ready before the (new) new year ;)

20171112_021118.jpg

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

We need more, more !! :) :)
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Drano »

Once I finish painting the wooden rails I'll get this dropped into the machine. At least Quicksilver should be ready before the weekend.

With any luck, I can have Seawitch re-assembled by December. Looking forward to a good Christmas! :D

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by redketchup »

Hey Adriano

which flipper do you used... clean original or repro... if repro, where d you order it?