Old Stern - How do you put the legs on?

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
Fifty
MAACA Chatterbox

Old Stern - How do you put the legs on?

Postby Fifty » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi guys,

I'm working on an old Stern. I've never put the legs on one of these before but I'm having problems. The front legs I believe I have covered, the leg brackets were completely stripped but I have replacements. See photo. If you can't figure out which is the old and which is the new I'm not going to tell you.

20180722_135446.jpg

For the back legs I'm at a total loss. I assumed it would be the same as the front. I mean, why devise a different method? Unfortunately the back legs have a large metal plate. The hole is not threaded or at least it isn't now.

20180722_135504.jpg

Two questions;

1) For the front legs. Is the leg plate just held in with basic pan head screws or do I need to do something special?
2) For the rear legs. WTF? How do I attach the legs to these?

I'm feel embarrassed for even asking how to install this stuff but I want to do it correctly.

Thanks,
Tim

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Re: Old Stern - How do you put the legs on?

Postby semicolin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:16 pm

On mine, the plates press-fit into the wood when the legs are tightened and are held in with a spike. Front and back are the same small-ish plate. I have seen some games that have a second large cross-plate on the inside that covers over and prevents you from using bolts that are excessively long.

What game is this?
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Bally Centaur II, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames

Fifty
MAACA Chatterbox

Postby Fifty » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:25 pm

semicolin wrote:On mine, the plates press-fit into the wood when the legs are tightened and are held in with a spike. Front and back are the same small-ish plate. I have seen some games that have a second large cross-plate on the inside that covers over and prevents you from using bolts that are excessively long.

What game is this?

It's a Meteor.

On the front, when I removed the stripped plate it was just press-fit into the wood like you mentioned. No spike. By spike, do you just mean an old nail?

On the back, if I put a bolt into the leg hole it just slides right through unobstructed.

tinyrodent
MAACA Chatterbox

Postby tinyrodent » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:38 pm

I doubt those rear plates are original. You could use washers and nuts to hold the legs on, it's not hard to do with the head removed. Or replace with the proper type of plate.
Playing: Recel Lady Luck, Stern Flight 2000, Stern Avengers
http://www.pinballowners.com/tinyrodent

Fifty
MAACA Chatterbox

Postby Fifty » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:46 pm

tinyrodent wrote:I doubt those rear plates are original. You could use washers and nuts to hold the legs on, it's not hard to do with the head removed. Or replace with the proper type of plate.

I'm was starting to think they are not original too so I decided to remove one. When I did I saw that two different types of nails were used. This led me to believe it was definitely added on by some over-zealous person. The metal plates are crazy thick. When the plate was pulled away there was nothing under it. I mean nothing. No sign of any original leg bolt system, no wood wear. This leads me to believe these thick-ass metal plates are original. Dumb, but original. I am guessing they were threaded at one point in their life but any sign of thread is long gone.

20180722_144053.jpg

20180722_144027.jpg

Fifty
MAACA Chatterbox

Postby Fifty » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:06 pm

I removed the second plate. Now that I was able to hold them both in my hands I still think this is an after-market fabrication. The metal isn't even cut square, and the one was held in with a spiral nail and a finishing nail.

I'm going to install the new leg system.

One last question, does the flanged side of the new bracket point in towards the cabinet or get pressed into the wood?

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Postby semicolin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:51 pm

Ah! Here's a picture from my Meteor.

All four legs are exactly the same: Two tacks to hold them in place, one screw to secure the ground braid, and the thread flange/burr presses into the wood... in my case, they really press into the wood because of some dumbass who used an impact wrench to tighten down the bolts. (You know who are(there's more than one of you), and you make Mary weep)

asset+%283%29.JPG
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Bally Centaur II, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames

Fifty
MAACA Chatterbox

Postby Fifty » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:12 pm

4 hours later and it's up on legs...

20180722_170333.jpg

I installed the leg bracket with the flange side pointing in. My thought process was that the bolt would be pushed in the bracket and the bowl on the opposite side of the flange would center the bolt so that it would thread properly. The other way around the bolt would be pushed into the thinner flange side and the possibility of cross threads or damage would be greater.

Thanks for the help everyone.

20180722_170952.jpg

20180722_171011.jpg

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Postby OTTOgd » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Great resto problem-solving thread with helpful pics, thanks.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:35 pm

OK.

But Tim, originally the nut plates were always installed the other way at the factory. Maybe you have improved the past. :D

Hugs,

Rob
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. A man needs something to do besides contemplate how crazy everyone has become in a world of overly exaggerated self-importance upheld and maintained by the new dumb.

Fifty
MAACA Chatterbox

Postby Fifty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:19 am

R.A.B. wrote:OK.

But Tim, originally the nut plates were always installed the other way at the factory. Maybe you have improved the past. :D

Hugs,

Rob

Ha! I was waiting for you to chime in. I was going to put them the other way, I really was, but the more I thought about it the less sense it made to me. The bowl shape helps direct the bolt into the hole properly. If I install them the "way you're supposed to" and push the flanged end into the wood then the bolt has nothing to help direct it into the hole. It has the thru-hole of the cabinet yes, but there is always a ton of play in those holes. So the bolt could easily hit the thin edge of the metal on the flange and cross thread.

I dunno, I still might flip them. They did a lot of things in the past that were far from perfect.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Postby Sparky » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:23 am

The reason to have the taper on the inside is that once it is tightened for the first time, the taper digs into the wood and then keeps it in the same place, centered with the hole.

;)
Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

Fifty
MAACA Chatterbox

Postby Fifty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 am

Sparky wrote:The reason to have the taper on the inside is that once it is tightened for the first time, the taper digs into the wood and then keeps it in the same place, centered with the hole.

;)

I'll flip them over tonight. It's getting harder to find the hole the older I get. ;)

Return to “Projects”