Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Playfield Protectors

Post by Xylog »

Received new pinball treats!
20200721_200540.jpg
*5 mins later*

All done! Don't know what the fuss is about.
20200721_201210.jpg
Flash Gordon,Pinbot,Mr. & Mrs. Pacman,RollerGames,
Black Knight,Black Knight 2000,Atlantis(Bally),Civic Center,
Jungle Lord,Granny & The Gators, Expressway,Flash Baseball
Mousin' Around,Badcats
LF: Bigger House

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Re: Playfield Protectors

Post by steamfitter »

That's going to keep you busy
Pins: Black Hole , Flash Gordon , Meteor , Star Trek
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , star trek , Black Jack , SEGA Space attack , meteorites

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

:FP:
LF: GrooveCoaster + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

Installed protector on BK2k. Easy-peasy install, not much had to be removed from the playfield to lay it down. BK2K plays SO smooth & fast now and looks beautiful - you can't really see the protector unless you look! No more problems with unleveled inserts! Huzzah!

I do a full clean before putting the protector in - Lighter fluid - Novus - wax. I also wax the playing surface of the protector before installing.

Rollergames install... that was a full tear-down. So many ramps, habitrails, spinners... Full clean. I adore Diamondplate, not a mark on her. Upon reassembly I discovered a small amount of trimming was needed for a perfect fit - most notably for the shooter lane area. No sweat, a pair of good scissors solved that issue, ball plunges super smooth. One BIG issue on Rollergames is the magnet. The protector covers the magnet & now it's not strong enough to reliably grab the ball. Will probably drill a hole around the magnet. Otherwise, Rollergames is playing SO smooth & fast & looks even more stunning than before, IMHO. :D

Next up... Badcats! Will take the opportunity with the tear-down to do some TLC on the vari-target, since you can't get NEAR the vari without a full disassemble. (grumble).

Loving these protectors! They are pricey, but no wear near the cost of clear-coating, playfield replacement, etc.
Mousin' Around,Badcats

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

that's 4 you're up to now! Wonder if they'll do a Granny and the Gators one for you. ;)
WANTED: Stern Jurassic Park Pro, 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

I was thinking aboot one for Granny. :)

May have to buy a protector for Atlantis. I swear the gameplay with these things is awesome!
20200727_145657.jpg
20200726_221824.jpg
Mousin' Around,Badcats

World_of_Warships
MAACA Buck

Post by World_of_Warships »

What's the difference between a playfield protector and having a clear coat redone? Other than the price, is a playfield protector something that prevents a game, say, from being used at a tournament? I am wondering about my Shadow, if it would benefit in having that type of plastic protection. Not to speed it up because it's such a great game the way it is, but rather because I would want to ensure it stays beautiful. But does it change gameplay that much?
Already made it to Stage 2, I don't know if I should be looking forward to Stage 3! More information on pinball 'stages'
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

Btw, I also drive a Tier X Yamato in World of Warships (online gaming)

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

My main reason for using the protectors is to protect my beautiful playfields. :) the secondary & equally important reason was to nullify the raised inserts on bk2k's lower playfield, which these things do beautifully.

The only change they make to gameplay is smoothness. Ball trajectories are true on a nice fast game.

I like the protection they provide, no worries of ball drops from habitrails etc. I wouldn't get a protector for my clearcoated machines - they don't need one.
Mousin' Around,Badcats

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

... so what is the difference between diamondplate and clearcoat in your mind?

And are these mylar or something else?

Murphelman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Murphelman »

Playfield protectors are like a very then layer of lexan plastic for the most part. There is no adhesive. You remove the components off of the playfield so you can lay it flat and then put all the parts back on and that's it. Just sits on top of the playfield. And the ball rolls on it rather than the playfield itself.

Have to make sure it is flat and does not lift up or your ball will roll funny. There are slight difference in the ball movement I find. It is smoother but the ball can also create more spin on the ball.
Own
Stern: Black Knight: SoR, Iron Maiden, Deadpool, POTC, Mustang, Jurassic Park, Game of Thrones
Bally/Williams:Twilight Zone, Demolition Man, Fish Tales, Jack*Bot, World cup Soccer
Data East: Nothing
Gottlieb: Nothing
Bally: F14 Tomcat, Wizard!
Williams: none

Wishlist
Baywatch, Transformers, X-Men, Stern Star Trek, Paragon, GnR,
:mrgreen:

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

Lexan and no adhesive. Cool. thanks for the info and yes, for the "smoothing" of let's say BK2K, it is probably a great thing.

@xylog: sorry man! my ignorance of the product imagined you were putting adhesive mylar on diamondplate!

World_of_Warships
MAACA Buck

Yeah, I was thinking the same, e.g. that it had an adhesive of some kind. So adding a protective layer of Lexan will help protect any surface, regardless of what's underneath, correct? If so, do you treat the Lexan with a cleaning/buffing product the same way you would with a regular coated playfield?

How much are they, btw?
Already made it to Stage 2, I don't know if I should be looking forward to Stage 3! More information on pinball 'stages'

Murphelman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Murphelman »

World_of_Warships wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:15 am
Yeah, I was thinking the same, e.g. that it had an adhesive of some kind. So adding a protective layer of Lexan will help protect any surface, regardless of what's underneath, correct? If so, do you treat the Lexan with a cleaning/buffing product the same way you would with a regular coated playfield?

How much are they, btw?
They range from $150-$200 Canadian. The best ones come from Germany. Cleaning is pretty easy. I always vacuum the playfield first then I just use NOVUS 1 to clean the protector and that is usually it. I have never waxed a protector as it is not needed. I may clean and polish it with a little CP100 occasionally but NOVUS 1 should be fine.
Own
Stern: Black Knight: SoR, Iron Maiden, Deadpool, POTC, Mustang, Jurassic Park, Game of Thrones
Bally/Williams:Twilight Zone, Demolition Man, Fish Tales, Jack*Bot, World cup Soccer

Wishlist

World_of_Warships
MAACA Buck

Murphelman wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:20 am
World_of_Warships wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:15 am

How much are they, btw?
They range from $150-$200 Canadian. The best ones come from Germany. Cleaning is pretty easy. I always vacuum the playfield first then I just use NOVUS 1 to clean the protector and that is usually it. I have never waxed a protector as it is not needed. I may clean and polish it with a little CP100 occasionally but NOVUS 1 should be fine.
Great, tks! Sounds like it's a no brainer, I will definitely see if they have one for Shadow. Some balls get ejected from the battlefield, sometimes impacting either the glass or the playfield quite hard. I'll look for it in Europe then :D

Murphelman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Murphelman »

Shipping is ridiculously fast from Germany as well. Before the pandemic I would order on the Monday and it would usually be here by the Friday. Quicker than most places in the U.S.

Here is the link. They also have protectors for plastics etc.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/
Own

Wishlist

World_of_Warships
MAACA Buck

Murphelman wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:54 am
Shipping is ridiculously fast from Germany as well. Before the pandemic I would order on the Monday and it would usually be here by the Friday. Quicker than most places in the U.S.

Here is the link. They also have protectors for plastics etc.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/
Tks for the info, they have The Shadow and a bunch of plastics for it, all made out of Vivak. That will work! Ordering..

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

I highly recommend the product. They are slowly producing ones for old EMs, but if you find they have one for your EM machine it's absolutely essential. Takes away all the issues related to cupped inserts and seals the playfield from future wear.
WANTED: Stern Jurassic Park Pro, 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

World_of_Warships
MAACA Buck

cait001 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:21 am
I highly recommend the product. They are slowly producing ones for old EMs, but if you find they have one for your EM machine it's absolutely essential. Takes away all the issues related to cupped inserts and seals the playfield from future wear.
One wonders why it's not a standard offering on newly produced games then, or maybe it's the case with recent games? Even as an option when ordering, should be made available..

Murphelman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Murphelman »

World_of_Warships wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:12 am
cait001 wrote:
One wonders why it's not a standard offering on newly produced games then, or maybe it's the case with recent games? Even as an option when ordering, should be made available..
They are available almost immediately after a new game is released. I have them on all four of my LCD sterns. Iron Maiden and Jurrasic Park were put in on day one. Both playfields still have not had a steel ball touch them outside the Stern factory.
Own

Wishlist

World_of_Warships
MAACA Buck

Murphelman wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:16 am
World_of_Warships wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:12 am
cait001 wrote:
They are available almost immediately after a new game is released. I have them on all four of my LCD sterns. Iron Maiden and Jurrasic Park were put in on day one. Both playfields still have not had a steel ball touch them outside the Stern factory.
But not factory installed, right? That's what I was wondering about. Btw, they have a sale on for playfield protectors and clear plastics for your GOT (and mine :D )

Pindude152
MAACA Half-ling

Post by Pindude152 »

cait001 wrote:
Takes away all the issues related to cupped inserts
But that's part of the whole EM experience! :lol: Adds an extra level of difficulty to the gameplay
Wanted: Bally 20 hole Bingo machine: Orient, London, Safari, Super 7, Bonus 7 or Hawaii.
Bally: Mad World
Williams: Pot 'O' gold, Beat the clock
Rally Play Company of Nice France: Any Flip Tronic(s) era machine produced between 1966 and 1969

"It's heavy. What is it? ... The, uh, stuff dreams are made of"
-The Maltese Falcon

"Every ball for me's another game.For you this always looks the same [...]
I know for you this doesn't look a lot. For me this is the only thing I got"
-Yello - Pinball Cha Cha

"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life"
-Homer Simpson

http://pindude152.blogspot.ca/
http://www.pinballowners.com/pindude152

Too far gone... beyond time, space and pinball stages

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

Spent today working on BadCats. Took the opportunity of teardown to take care of some QOL on the playfield. Light sanding - Novus - wax. Looks like new & removes a bit of that evil yellowing. Rebuilt the vari-target while I was at it, it's nice & smooth now. Protector ready to install, will do that tomorrow.

Before:
20200728_230504.jpg
After:
20200728_232515.jpg
Mousin' Around,Badcats

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

Badcats installation complete. All of my beloved Sys11's are now protected!

BC was not a flawless install as the others were - the protector was *not* cut correctly for the machine. Luckily I have a pair of very good scissors & rectified the errors. Have e-mailed Germany so that they are aware.
Also, Rollergames really needs a hole over the magnet. Not sure now to cut that yet. Any suggestions out there?

All told, very happy. Machines play so smooth & fast as Sys11's are supposed to. Found myself singing along with BK2K - plz no judge. :)
Mousin' Around,Badcats

tinyrodent
MAACA Chatterbox

Post by tinyrodent »

Beware cutting a hole. I don't have a solution for this yet.
ball hangup.jpg
Playing: Stern Seawitch, Williams F14
Fixing: Bally Fathom, Bally Harlem, Williams Space Shuttle
http://www.pinballowners.com/tinyrodent

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

I Figure if I cut the hole just slightly bigger than the magnet & raise the magnet up to cover the thickness of the protector I shouldn't have hanging issues.

That's the dream

Also, for your issue - I think I read on the HardTops thread that you should pop the rollover insert & re-seat it slightly higher to prevent hang. Too much work IMHO.
Mousin' Around,Badcats

Return to “Projects”