Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
theseb099
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Gottlieb Victory

Post by theseb099 »

Hello all,

I picked up my first machine this week and I LOVE IT!!! I'm already dreaming of filling my basement with more :D .

I do have a few concerns/questions.
-One of the boards got a bit toasty near the connector, looks like the transistor was the cause and has been reseated or replaced. Should I be worried that it will overheat again?
-Both flipper buttons have "bubbles" in them, is this a manufacturing defect because there's no real heat source near there, I don't see what else can be the cause.
-When I lift up the playfield and lean it on the "kickstand??" it always wants to slide away and I'm not comfortable leaving it up without holding it myself. Am I using this wrong??

Other than that everything is good, I'm going to clean the playfield, change the rubbers and change the bulbs for LEDS. Got any suggestions for where to get supplies?
What are your thoughts on color matching LEDs, I was thinking of going all frosted white.
I'm not sure what I should be using to clean it, the internet seems very divided on this topic. On this machine the artwork is printed on the mylar rather than on the wood itself, not sure if that changes anything.Image[/img][/img]
IMG_20210602_143456.jpg
IMG_20210601_213545.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20210602_132112.jpg

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Gottlieb Victory

Post by cap »

Maybe those flipper buttons suffered vandalism in the past. Personally, I would replace them because they lost their original shape. It's very easy to do with no soldering required. Look for the hex nut on the inside of the cabinet.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

We don't know your location. You can add it in your profile.

Here is a thread listing places where you can buy parts in Canada.
viewtopic.php?t=26222

You can also consider ordering from the States, but beware of the shipping fees.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

tinyrodent
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by tinyrodent »

theseb099 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:19 amWhen I lift up the playfield and lean it on the "kickstand??" it always wants to slide away and I'm not comfortable leaving it up without holding it myself. Am I using this wrong??
It is sometimes called a prop rod, I never use them. Instead raise the playfield all the way and lean it against the backbox.
Playing: Stern Stars, Stranger Things
http://www.pinballowners.com/tinyrodent

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

theseb099 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:19 am I picked up my first machine this week and I LOVE IT!!! I'm already dreaming of filling my basement with more :D
Welcome to the hobby! I'm sure you will be able to fill that basement without long. Play as many games as possible, both pinballs and arcades if you're also into those!! Trying games whenever you see one, at a friend's place or on location, that's a great way for you to see what you like and the type of games you will want.

But a big part of the hobby is meeting people and just having a great time playing. I've always found support here on MAACA, have a great time with this fun, fun hobby!!

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

Nice looking game, btw! :D

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

The tip of the prop rod is supposed to rest in a depression in the underside of the playfield or in a metal bracket with a slit just for this.

theseb099
MAACA New Contributor

Post by theseb099 »

cap wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:09 am The tip of the prop rod is supposed to rest in a depression in the underside of the playfield or in a metal bracket with a slit just for this.
Am I missing a rubber tip for it or something? It really wants to slide sideways.
IMG_20210607_131129.jpg
tinyrodent wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:14 am It is sometimes called a prop rod, I never use them. Instead raise the playfield all the way and lean it against the backbox.
This is the way!! No more worrying about the playfield trying to injure me, Thanks!!!
Got the ground mod done today.
IMG_20210607_183644.jpg
Anybody know what type of connector this is? I want to replace the power cord (someone along the way snipped off the ground pin :roll: ).
IMG_20210607_183556.jpg

theseb099
MAACA New Contributor

Post by theseb099 »

World_of_Warships wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:40 am
theseb099 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:19 am I picked up my first machine this week and I LOVE IT!!! I'm already dreaming of filling my basement with more :D
Welcome to the hobby! I'm sure you will be able to fill that basement without long. Play as many games as possible, both pinballs and arcades if you're also into those!! Trying games whenever you see one, at a friend's place or on location, that's a great way for you to see what you like and the type of games you will want.

But a big part of the hobby is meeting people and just having a great time playing. I've always found support here on MAACA, have a great time with this fun, fun hobby!!
I made this MAME cab a few months ago and thought it looked kind of lonely :lol: . Luckily the budget doesn't allow for more machines right now or space would be all taken up :) .
IMG_20210226_175649.jpg

tinyrodent
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by tinyrodent »

theseb099 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:55 pmAnybody know what type of connector this is? I want to replace the power cord (someone along the way snipped off the ground pin :roll: ).
Not sure about the specific pin type but it is a Molex connector, for which special tools are usually needed (crimper, pins, pin removal tool). If the cord is in acceptable condition then the plug can just be replaced with something like this.
Playing: Stern Stars, Stranger Things
http://www.pinballowners.com/tinyrodent

theseb099
MAACA New Contributor

Post by theseb099 »

I got to the bottom of it. The pins are molex .093" and the connectors are series 3191
I'm going to drop the digikey links in case that's useful for anyone.
Connectors:
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/deta ... 69/1633854
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/deta ... 4/11623991
Pins:
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/deta ... 2118/26388
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/deta ... 1104/26386

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

I'm a big fan of digikey as well- can't beat their cheap overnight shipping.

Sometimes, they're out of stock on Molex connectors, and their crimp pin prices are the pits.

For anything other than an emergency repair, I buy my connectors and pins through Great Plain Electronics. Their prices are better and their stock on pinball-specific connectors is great, even on discontinued ones.

theseb099
MAACA New Contributor

Post by theseb099 »

Got it all taken apart cleaned and back together now. It plays so much faster with rebuilt flippers and new rubbers, WOW!
I do still have 3 things that are bothering me:
-How does one adjust spinners??? I googled it and it seems like black magic to me, I've made one significantly better and made one significantly worse :cry: .

-When I plunge the ball, as it cross the playfield to the left side it seems to smack into the ball guide rail and then cross that lane many times causing it to lose most of its forward momentum. I think I should be adjusting the rails more "inwards" to lower the angle of attack as the ball comes across?? Sorry about the terrible paint skills :lol: .
IMG_20210618_105857.jpg
-The mylar on the playfield has some cracks in it. As a note the artwork on this game was printed directly on the mylar. So short of replacing it what options do I have? Can I use maybe some epoxy or clear nail polish or something to level it out?
IMG_20210617_161621.jpg
IMG_20210617_161629.jpg
IMG_20210617_161632.jpg

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

To help you better, please show us close up pictures of the guide rail below the right purple arrow, from above and from the side.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Spinners can be very finicky. You need to make sure the small vertical part of the wire does not rub on the mounting metal bracket around the holes. Make sure the wire does not move sideways during game play. There are sometimes little plastic rings on the wire to let you adjust for this. The linkage must be vertical at rest and not touch the side of the playfield hole. The top mounting bracket and/or the switch underneath may have to be adjusted to get that alignment right. Make sure the switch blade tip is a nice open V shape and there is no friction between the linkage and blade hole as the linkage goes up and down. You can ask RAB at Alouette for a special kind of lubricant for spinners. That can make them buttery smooth but using the wrong kind of lubricant will make a huge mess on your playfield and glass. RAB has anecdotes about that.

theseb099
MAACA New Contributor

Post by theseb099 »

I can't show the top view without starting to pull stuff off, so I used paint again :).
IMG_20210618_105857.jpg
Here is the departure side (the rubber on the post is not in the way like the angle of the picture would suggest).
IMG_20210618_133822.jpg
And the arrival side.
IMG_20210618_133843.jpg

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

What I wanted to see was whether the guide rail was touching the post and therefore had no leeway. There is no contact so you can adjust the tip of the guide rail as you want. I would normally suggest to move the tip of the departure rail towards the right to make the trajectory higher but that already seems to be the case. Are you sure the ball does not hit the post rubber as it leaves the rail? In that case, you would have to lower the rail tip or move the post up the playfield a little.