Taito Stratovox... bringing it back

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
Sparky
MAACA OG
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 252 times

Taito Stratovox... bringing it back

Post by Sparky »

Months ago, I picked up a couple of mega-projects from Shovelhead. One was this one... a Taito Stratovox cabinet. The story behind it was that this cab was picked up by Terry Edwards (b1buwg97) years ago as a partially gutted, dead game. It had already been painted brown, and had a WWF wrestling game in it. He painted it black over the brown paint and decals, and was to 60-in-1 the game. But, here was the condition:

- missing control panel
- monitor reoriented horizontally
- no marquee
- no bezel, just plain glass
- missing pedestal base under cab floor

On top of that, for anyone familiar with Japanese cabs... they are built quite cheaply. MDF cab with an aspenite bottom. Looks awesome new, but as you all know, MDF is not the most resistant wood, and it REALLY doesn't like any moisture.

So, like all typical Taito flat-top cabs and the generation after that, the bottom panel easily falls off the cab with age.

- bottom panel coming off

Moisture damage has been somewhat limited (probably due to pain job) but it has started. The front panel has a bit of a curve to it.

BUT, it is not all that bad:

1- It has a jamma harness and power supply
2- monitor is in it, not much burn-in
3- I have a Stratovox bezel I bought in Allentown... in 2006 for 5 bucks. LOL. Been using it for wall art
4- I bought a Polaris control panel. Colors are different, but at least I have a panel

What to do with this thing? Well... Stratovox is not the best of games, but still worthy of saving. I may not have an original board in it, but I will rebuild the monitor if needed, and clean it up.

In fact, after 4 hours and 32 razor blades, I am down to the original graphics.
Strato.jpg

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 154 times

Re: Taito Stratovox... bringing it back

Post by Mrhide »

5000$ by Christmas
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Sparky
MAACA OG
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Sparky »

Mrhide wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:17 pm
5000$ by Christmas
Shit disturber. Lol.

Considering I sold 3/4 of my collection for WAY under market value, and it's esthetic state, I doubt it. Lol.

Besides, I like the 2 Taito flat tops beside each other.

But if I got it out, it would probably be a trade for another project. I rather would have someone enjoy playing a game. Me? I just like fixing.

Mike@PinballMedics
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Mike@PinballMedics »

If you listen very, very carefully, you can hear a little voice inside Sparky's head.

It's saying; "Help Me! Help Me!"

Video Game Whisperers; What can they not save?
oie_vhVtl4rYmZnt.jpg
oie_vhVtl4rYmZnt.jpg (96.47 KiB) Viewed 79 times
PINBALL SALES with Warranty & Delivery in Ottawa or Montreal, and all points in between. Shipping available across Canada.

EXPERT PINBALL REPAIR for all brands. Specializing in difficult to solve problems with Advanced Troubleshooting requiring a deep knowledge of all interrelated systems from early Solid State, Alpha-Numeric, DMD, and Modern LCD era. Games can be dropped off in Ottawa or Montreal by appointment. Call ahead and bring it to our main repair & production facility at 923 Av Girouard in Montreal, near Sherbrooke & Decarie. We can usually fix it while you wait.

BOARD REPAIR for all brands.

PINBALL PARTS via Canada Post. In stock, ready to ship.
Or Pre-Order for Free Pickup in Ottawa, Alfred, or Montreal.
Full Inventory Available in Ottawa Mon - Fri from 9am - 10pm, and weekends from 2pm - 10pm.
Basic parts are available in Montreal (call ahead), and anything ordered in advance can be picked up week days in Montreal by appointment, or Saturdays in Alfred at no charge.

THE OTTAWA PINBALL ARCADE - 2559 Baseline Rd featuring 30+ Pinball Machines & several Classic Video Games.

THE OTTAWA MONTREAL PINBALL MUSEUM Coming Soon!

https://www.pinballmedics.ca
https://ottawapinballarcade.ca

Return to “Projects”