Did you know that........? another one....

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
GILV
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times

Did you know that........? another one....

Post by GILV »

Hey Guys.
I had absolutely no intention of doing more than one of these threads but I ran into another problem that I solved with a very unusual solution.
Last year, when I bought a TZ with a very nice freshly redone cabinet with new decals I wanted to preserve the area around the flipper buttons so I looked at different solutions that I thought were too expensive and easy to do myself, so I opted for the clear decal solution which I made myself, I wanted something that was as tough as mylar but not so sticky as to leave that hard to remove glue behind so after thinking it over I took a sheet of clear Mac Tac, (which sticks good but is not too hard to remove compared to mylar) and stuck a sheet of mylar on top of it, so now I had the resistence of mylar but easy removability of Mac Tac, I cut it out the right size, stuck it on, A few months after I went and polished the side rails with polishing paste, some of the paste got under the edge of my protectors and was'nt very nice to see afterwards, so 2 days ago I removed my home made flipper button protectors but I had lots of glue on the cabinet after removing them.
I did'nt want to damaga the cabinet so I tried rubbing with a rag and water, does'nt work, I checked on Google, they say WD-40, Kerosene or other solvents and to scrape, there is no way I will scrape or use those products on my cabinet, I was too worried that the art would dissapear.
I tried something that was'nt harsh on the cabinet art but could melt the glue.

Did you know that vegetable oil does a great job on removing Mac Tac glue?

Just pour it on a rag and rub turn the rag over and repeat until all of the glue has melted, took me 2 minuted for an area about 8 inches wide and 5 inched high.
I just used dishwashing liquid with a little warm water to remove the oil and all was gone and mostly my cabinet art was'nt damaged.
Now my next step will be to try it on the glue that is left after removing mylar.

Please do post any tricks you found when restoring or repairing your pinball machines here.
I'm curious. :)
Thanks.

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: Did you know that........? another one....

Post by Fifty »

Purell Hand Sanitizer works wonders on pine sap. Went sledding one year and careened into the woods. All pine. Came out and my jacket was covered in sap. Thought it was garbage. Purell took it all out. Works great on pine sap drops on the paint of your car as well. Just let it soak in a bit, then wipe off with some paper towel. Repeat if necessary.

I'm sure it would have worked for Mac Tac too.

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Did you know that........? another one....

Post by GILV »

Fifty wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:49 pm Purell Hand Sanitizer works wonders on pine sap. Went sledding one year and careened into the woods. All pine. Came out and my jacket was covered in sap. Thought it was garbage. Purell took it all out. Works great on pine sap drops on the paint of your car as well. Just let it soak in a bit, then wipe off with some paper towel. Repeat if necessary.

I'm sure it would have worked for Mac Tac too.
Hey thanks for the tip. :) but I would not have taken any chances with Purel on my cabinet because it has alcohol in it.
What works great with pine sap is butter also, It's a grand-mother's trick, I've been using butter for pine sap since I was a kid, removes pine sap very easilly, , Hey, maybe it would've worked with Mac Tac glue as well? oil and butter are ptretty much of the same family...... :thinking