MAME Help

Talk about mame, post your mame project and/or virtual pins
mbudman
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

MAME Help

Post by mbudman »

Hello,

I am new to the work of arcade emulators / MAME.

I am working on a MAME project with my son and was wondering if you could guide me.

We have built a cabinet, and currently working on the computer end of things. I have Dual core PC with Windows 7x64 and 4 gigs of RAM.

I downloaded the latest version of MAME as well as MAME64ui. I also have downloaded a bunch of ROMs and COLECOVISION ROMs.

For the regular ROMS, I can launch a game but not certain how to start. I can add coins and then the system says press 1 or two players, but that is as far as I get. None of the keys on the keyboard seem to actually launch the game. This is the case for some of the games (not all).

For colecovision games, I cannot get them to run with MAME as when it scans the directory it crashes. Or if I get far enough within MAME it says files are missing or incomplete.

I do get Colceovision games to load with Colem (I have the latest version), but I get as far as the screen, "turn off game before inserting cartridge" and cannot launch any games.

Any guidance / help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Re: MAME Help

Post by Mrhide »

pressing tab within the game will launch the menu where you can configure all your keys for that game. default to start should be 1 and 2 ( not the numeric keypad, the other ones)
you can right click the game BEFORE you launch it to configure inputs as well.

coleco vision: you might be missing the "coleco vision bios" or check the mameui.ini and make sure your rom path is relative and not absolute ( meaning not C:\mame\roms but .\roms )

if still not working, post screenshots so we can better try to help ;)
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

mbudman
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by mbudman »

What do you mean by Coleco BIOS? I seem to have the file...
Is there a specific place this file should be or does it have to be loaded (and if so how)?

Thanks!

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

mbudman wrote:What do you mean by Coleco BIOS? I seem to have the file...
Is there a specific place this file should be or does it have to be loaded (and if so how)?

Thanks!
if you get to the " (I have the latest version), but I get as far as the screen, "turn off game before inserting cartridge"" then yes you probably have it. the "bios" goes in the same folder as the roms...

so when does it do when it crashes? just close or is there an error msg?
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

mbudman
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by mbudman »

I cannot get MAME to run with Colecovision ROMS (which are in .7z format).

When MAME64ui scans the directory, the program crashes (this program has stopped working)...

When using Colem, I get the start screen, I do not know what key sequence I need to launch the game and get off the "turn off machine before loading cartridge "

I would like to get MAME working with COLECOVISION games.

Thanks!

Mark

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

mbudman wrote:I cannot get MAME to run with Colecovision ROMS (which are in .7z format).

When MAME64ui scans the directory, the program crashes (this program has stopped working)...
When using Colem, I get the start screen, I do not know what key sequence I need to launch the game and get off the "turn off machine before loading cartridge "
I would like to get MAME working with COLECOVISION games.

Thanks!

Mark
so I downloaded and installed Colem, all the roms and you can't load them when they are zipped ... ( in .7z format). else it works great! :
cosmic.jpg
Pressing 1 (not the numeric keypad) started the game.

MAME:

take this
http://www.planetemu.net/rom/mess-roms/ ... characters

unzip it, take the colecoA.rom and ADD it to this one
http://www.planetemu.net/rom/mess-roms/colecovision

then place it in your roms folder.

run mame.

go to console, colecovision, RUN IT.
console.jpg
press TAB, go to file manager, find your coleco vision roms and ENTER on it (the .col file) ... that's all. it runs:
0001.png
0001.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 1351 times

ps: it will create a "coleco.ini" in the Ini folder ... I'm sure there's a better way but hey, it works for me ;) ... thanks I'll add it to my setup at home :)

mbudman
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by mbudman »

Thanks for your help. I got it working properly.

Cheers,

Mark

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

mbudman wrote:Thanks for your help. I got it working properly.

Cheers,

Mark
cool! happy for you !