Mini virtual pin

Talk about mame, post your mame project and/or virtual pins
mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 126 times

Mini virtual pin

Post by mrmikeman »

So last week I installed new cabinets in the garage. Removed all wooden shelving. Decided to recycle the wood and make a mini/desktop virtual pinball. Once I am done with the setup I MAY fill, sand, and paint it the cab to make it nice. My goal is to have the best emulation I can get, not a nice looking piece of furniture. For me functionality overides esthetics in this case. Not looking for a pinball "replacement" but rather a chance to learn layouts and code from different games that I may not have access to, hence the diminutive size. :P

Over spent on the computer but wanted to make sure it would run everything. Not done yet but getting close. My son will do the pf “cover/bezel” in sheet metal in his welding class :)

Just to be clear I did this in 3 days, all on the fly, and with no plans. It shows lol

Shelves prior to removal:
35E52BD7-7429-4EE1-ACA0-6B0F4B995D87.jpeg
New cabinets:
8BFB253B-9873-4C26-9797-22C74465A7D5.jpeg
Base of cab with computer attached:
6FC60F50-E67F-4B86-96C6-9FD25B141AEE.jpeg
8F841801-C9CE-4CD5-A84A-16101967F4B7.jpeg
Last edited by mrmikeman on Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
PINS:
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: Lior Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: Gouveia Monkey, Gouveia Witch 2.0, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades, Pinstadiums
Stern Star Trek Pro - Stern Enterprise, pinblades, laser cut Enterprise side armor
Star Wars Prem - Stern R2D2 Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, light saber, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, lasercut SW Armor with GITD back lighting (Yoda)
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board/speakers/shaker, full LED w/ LED&GI OCD, Tilt topper, ColorDMD, pinduino lighting on ramps and borg ship
Stern Pirates of the Caribbean - Mirror blades, ColorDMD, full LED
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Multimorphic P3 with all current Multimorphic modules
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1200

Gone but not forgotten
So many... LOTR, MMrRE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Re: Mini virtual pin

Post by mrmikeman »

Started with just a “box” around the base:
337E4DD1-E058-4DF6-8059-894C33ECC6B4.jpeg
Then found a angle that should work ok. Cut both sides together on the bench saw to make sure they were identical. Quick test assembly.
7B7C713B-808B-4F90-AC3B-42017C8953C4.jpeg
A0CBEE9F-C353-424F-B7C6-EDAE8CBC82D4.jpeg
Then the backbox:
219513F4-4C50-4B32-A8BB-C2F19D1D1E2D.jpeg
8CA60398-EB68-4316-9072-01EDCB8F460F.jpeg
Last edited by mrmikeman on Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
PINS:
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: Lior Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: Gouveia Monkey, Gouveia Witch 2.0, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades, Pinstadiums
Stern Star Trek Pro - Stern Enterprise, pinblades, laser cut Enterprise side armor
Star Wars Prem - Stern R2D2 Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, light saber, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, lasercut SW Armor with GITD back lighting (Yoda)
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board/speakers/shaker, full LED w/ LED&GI OCD, Tilt topper, ColorDMD, pinduino lighting on ramps and borg ship
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500

Gone but not forgotten
So many... LOTR, MMrRE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Test fit with backbox:
356225CE-E339-45FB-A893-FD25C1E9E5AB.jpeg
Added fans, speakers, and speaker grills:
7FCDD7A0-ED97-48F4-BCFC-AF1389D5D57D.jpeg
A68DB229-E486-416C-8457-1DA3696E721B.jpeg
BBD0AAA1-6230-4240-9434-367B4835D606.jpeg
First power up:
933763A8-E1DE-4756-BFBA-8D0455ADED54.jpeg
Last edited by mrmikeman on Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Test game:
https://youtube.com/shorts/THkGMSrsINs?feature=share

Ordered a slightly bigger screen that should fit, fan grills, a cheap amp, and a better power connection socket thingy with a power switch. All coming in Wed. Will continue next weekend I guess!

I found no lag with the keyboard but slight noticeable lag with the virtuapin controller - it acts as a game controller. Will need to investigate the cause of the lag and if I can't fix it then forego the game controller and get a keyboard encoder instead. I just like the real plunger that I have with the game controller.

The cab is currently unattached to the base so I can still do woodworking/tweaking and not affect the computer/electronics.
Last edited by mrmikeman on Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

hyann
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by hyann »

Nice project! I' m doing a mini-arcade (1up size) with my son to teach him the basic (woodworking, painting, wiring...) maybe after that we will try something like this!
http://www.pinballowners.com/hyann
Working on: Taxi PF restoration
In french: Blog sur machines, romans et jeux: http://machines-romans-jeux.blogspot.com

MPL 2009-2010 Iron Man and Royal Flush: Best effort awards
MPL 2010-2011 Gary stern trophy !

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

hyann wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:46 am
Nice project! I' m doing a mini-arcade (1up size) with my son to teach him the basic (woodworking, painting, wiring...) maybe after that we will try something like this!
Cool! My project isn't something I would have done with my son as it's way too much "winging it". I'd rather follow a plan with a clear path lol. One thing I screwed up is the monitor "bottom" was supposed to be on the left, not the right. I have software configuration issues now to resolve. Getting just 1 game working is easy enough - right now only Pinball FX3 works correctly. It's getting multiple software programs to work with the 1 physical configuration of the 3 screens that's complex.
Last edited by mrmikeman on Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Steph
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Steph »

I like the "rustic" look ;-)

...oh, and I think you need a few more fans, I don't think 12 is enough ! ;-)

"Cool" project.
(...see what I did there ! )

Steph
2084 : Last Hope for Humanity

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Steph wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:25 pm
I like the "rustic" look ;-)

...oh, and I think you need a few more fans, I don't think 12 is enough ! ;-)

"Cool" project.
(...see what I did there ! )

Steph
Not pictured is the intake hole underneath for the PSU. And there are 7 fans, not 12 ;)

1 - PSU
1 - CPU
2 - Exhaust
3 - GPU

The funny thing is that the GPU fans never even turn on except for Visual Pinball.

I'm also starting to prefer the rustic look, even though it has a bunch of screw holes from previous use.
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by GILV »

Very inerresting project.
This is, in my opinion, the funnest part of the hobby, working on projects. :)
I wish I had the knowledge to do a virtual pinball myself..... Oh well, I'll stick to doing pinball mods and repairing and restoring mopeds.
Have fun with your son. :)

zebulon
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 5 times

Post by zebulon »

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

zebulon wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:12 pm
Shame about the virtuapin controller, I could have set you up .....

https://zebsboards.ca/public_html/Zebsb ... V5_Plunger

https://zebsboards.ca/public_html/V5_Pl ... ll-Shooter
Ordered. Impress me!
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

zebulon
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 5 times

Post by zebulon »

It seems to have impressed a couple of thousand people worldwide to date, hopefully it will work for you as well .... :)

Thanks for the order, it will be out in today's pickup.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Excited about it. Both gamepad and keyboard encoders in 1 package.
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Screen came in a day early. Quick test fit and it's better than I expected :D

Now I just need to redo the monitor supports on the cab sides.
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 188 times

Post by Mrhide »

yé temps de vendre le controller de groove coaster :D
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Mrhide wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:30 pm
yé temps de vendre le controller de groove coaster :D
Au contraire! J’ai maintenant un ecran vertical en permanence! Wohoo!
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Continued the work:
- Got bigger pf screen.
- Installed power switch.
- Hinged the backbox
- Installed fan grills
Attachments
A2742A0A-B9A4-4BFF-9225-C49124D758DD.jpeg
B995B40E-3484-4BCE-8DAE-6AD7D527290C.jpeg
46A3E167-32DE-41C0-88A0-E3DA3B2F2461.jpeg
0608AD6D-991F-4B5D-9C63-435A3EB77C4A.jpeg
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Installed front audio & USB panel and added 2 switches.
BA98D2D5-D974-4964-847B-E81EFC549F7F.jpeg
My son made me a frame at school. He needs to adjust the width but it’ll look nice!
2BB836DC-A97B-4A9A-8808-CB4B449B6323.jpeg
He also made me a lockdown bar from a broken one. Super stoked on that one!
DC5165D6-FD6D-4B4C-8012-D15EEC92A025.jpeg
1831F8A3-3F33-4424-BECA-C3F3B9128242.jpeg
0536684D-5C2B-4660-810A-04974FD6C734.jpeg
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Installed the Zebboards kit
963BDD76-5813-4555-ABB8-4B5A544AB2EE.jpeg
5FCE880E-4EDF-4D4D-A784-E8399697B6C0.jpeg
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Steph
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Steph »

Really nice work Mike.

I have some shelves I need to dispose of as well,
can I book you for a VP in April ? ;-)

Steph
2084 : Last Hope for Humanity

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Steph wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:58 pm
Really nice work Mike.

I have some shelves I need to dispose of as well,
can I book you for a VP in April ? ;-)

Steph
LOL.

I have to say that the wood part is not where the money flows out. I sure am glad I didn’t track how much money went out for this. I am probably close to $3k. Computer & screens were just over $2k. Imagine if I had gone 4k….

Good thing it’s a very decent gaming computer. It can be used elsewhere if I get tired of v-pinballing. Also, the guts could just get thrown into a full sized cabinet and would work just the same (at 2k).

I can certainly understand why full size V-Pins are selling in the$8k range. Add some large 4k screens and a WPC cab to my build and it gets close to $5-6k...

It’s more about “can I do this” than “I really need this”….
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

My son finished the metal frame. Looks good! He got to "test it out":
https://youtube.com/shorts/j62-z142iNw?feature=share

Here’s the frame in place but not attached yet.
4C354A4E-99DA-4108-A72F-FA0F8B4CB352.jpeg
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Metal frame and lock bar drilled and attached. Plexi cut. Left the protective film for now until I am truly done. I just know it'll scratch up pretty quickly.

4D6C32C0-0383-423C-98A3-F2474CEC1E2C.jpeg
955A2460-BFEA-48F3-8377-875543A7A665.jpeg
05E240C2-9EFB-4E4E-8A20-86AD358F9251.jpeg
PINS:
Lady Luck (Recel)

Pins on order:
Cactus Canyon

VIDS:

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten