What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Postby Sparky » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:28 pm

Well, I brought Fire back from the dead. Game wouldn't start

- fixed coindoor wiring harness (repaired a hack job)
- fixed broken wire on test button.

I could then set it to Free Play... but...

Coils 1-8 didn't fire. And no flash bulbs either. No power at coils but I had some at the A/C relay. Ended up being something as stupid as the relay board not liking it when it is clipped in. Board gets slightly twisted and relay doesn't work.

- I moved the relay board a bit and coils now ok.

The only thing left is the right ramp not always lowering. Simple adjustment.

Tomorrow. ;) as I am leaving in 5.5hrs for Napanee.

I am so hitting Arbys for lunch. Cuz they have the meats! Lol
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 am

Sparky wrote:No power at coils but I had some at the A/C relay. Ended up being something as stupid as the relay board not liking it when it is clipped in. Board gets slightly twisted and relay doesn't work.

Can you explain this part? Is that an intermittent connection?
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: 1934 Rock-Ola World's Series, 1934 Bally Signal Jr, 1934 Bally Signal Sr (lent), 1950 Culp Bridge Ball, 1964 Daiwa Pachinko, 1972 CC Mini-Baseball (loan), 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Pace Base Ball, 1931 Pace Whiz Ball, 1932 Bally Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Today I was told 10 is too many.....Grrrr
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 pm

uberhare wrote:Today I was told 10 is too many.....Grrrr

Lucky you, for me I'm told 5 is too many. :(
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Marital bliss may be more important than the quantity of pinballs you need to harbour.

But what the hell do I know ? :lol:

I have basically given up on trying to make compromises with others, I already have my hands full just dealing with myself.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:14 pm

cait001 wrote:
Sparky wrote:No power at coils but I had some at the A/C relay. Ended up being something as stupid as the relay board not liking it when it is clipped in. Board gets slightly twisted and relay doesn't work.

The relay is mounted on a small board, 2"x2", and it is secured Under the playfield on plastic legs that you push the board on and it clips in place. exactly like on older Bally SS games. Well, when you push the board in place, since the pins are not perfectly placed and the wires to the board are soldered on (no connector), the board flexes. As it does, the small parts within the relay seem to bind. The relay no longer sends the 30V to either side A or side C. It's like the leg on the relay jams between the 2 contacts and doen't send current anywhere.

I could hear the relay try to click but it was faint. When I removed it from it's clips, I could then hear it clearly click and everything worked.

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:03 am

Sparky wrote:
cait001 wrote:

The relay is mounted on a small board, 2"x2", and it is secured Under the playfield on plastic legs that you push the board on and it clips in place. exactly like on older Bally SS games. Well, when you push the board in place, since the pins are not perfectly placed and the wires to the board are soldered on (no connector), the board flexes. As it does, the small parts within the relay seem to bind. The relay no longer sends the 30V to either side A or side C. It's like the leg on the relay jams between the 2 contacts and doen't send current anywhere.

I could hear the relay try to click but it was faint. When I removed it from it's clips, I could then hear it clearly click and everything worked.

would that not point to a weak solder point or poor connection, therefore higher resistance? I don't know tolerances, but I imagine a circuit board should be able to tolerate a minor amount of stress without breaking traces.
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: 1934 Rock-Ola World's Series, 1934 Bally Signal Jr, 1934 Bally Signal Sr (lent), 1950 Culp Bridge Ball, 1964 Daiwa Pachinko, 1972 CC Mini-Baseball (loan), 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Pace Base Ball, 1931 Pace Whiz Ball, 1932 Bally Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 pm

I hold her I'd sell 1 to "start". We'll see how long that keeps her happy :) I'm told I have to put furniture back in the living room...lol

R.A.B. wrote:

Marital bliss may be more important than the quantity of pinballs you need to harbour.

But what the hell do I know ? :lol:

I have basically given up on trying to make compromises with others, I already have my hands full just dealing with myself.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Alien Poker

shock_me
MAACA Barbarian

Postby shock_me » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:30 am

I wasn't getting the 7th flash on my Fireball Classic. Did some reading and tried a few things. I replaced R113 on the MPU today, and yay, success! I haven't been playing my old Ballys lately, and it seems the longer they sit, the more they break down lol!

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:58 am

cait001 wrote:would that not point to a weak solder point or poor connection, therefore higher resistance? I don't know tolerances, but I imagine a circuit board should be able to tolerate a minor amount of stress without breaking traces.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that a relay has a mechanical component to it. It is activated by an inner coil but there is a contact blade that has to move from one contact to another. I have seen relays jam up before.

monkeybug
MAACA Death Knight

Postby monkeybug » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:49 pm

I spent a few hours trying to figure out why Smaug was not rotating.

After tracing everything it seemed to be a loose connector between the PC and the rest of the wiring.

Blackghost4
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Blackghost4 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:20 am

Picked up a Project Gottlieb Genesis. Lots of stuff to do on it but that's the cool part of the hobby.
Attachments
DSC_4056.JPG
DSC_4055.JPG
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980) Gottlieb Swing Along (1963) Williams Expo (1969)
Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992) Gottlieb Bad Girls (1988)
Project: Gottlieb Genesis (1986)
Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:14 am

Love my Genesis. ...

Took inserts out of a game for the first time to level them. Tedious, but worth it. ....Buccaneer PF was nice and smooth even before I waxed it.
PINS- Target Alpha/ Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Space Shuttle/Strange Science/Far Out/ Genesis/Bally Circus / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Today I sold another one & officially setup my last folded/stored/taken apart machine! I'm sadly down to 9.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:13 pm

uberhare wrote:Today I sold another one & officially setup my last folded/stored/taken apart machine! I'm sadly down to 9.

Dude,

In my opinion, 9 is as good a number as any. Mix it up and you'll be fine.

Rob
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:36 pm

R.A.B. wrote:
uberhare wrote:Today I sold another one & officially setup my last folded/stored/taken apart machine! I'm sadly down to 9.

Dude,

In my opinion, 9 is as good a number as any. Mix it up and you'll be fine.

Rob

9 is a good number, but 10 was better :)

I can't complain too much, she let's me have an airplane.

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 pm

uberhare wrote:9 is a good number, but 10 was better :)

Sure but have you ever considered... eleve-- WAIT WHAT an airplane???

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:21 pm

cait001 wrote:
uberhare wrote:9 is a good number, but 10 was better :)

Sure but have you ever considered... eleve-- WAIT WHAT an airplane???

I wonder if you can hide a pinball in that plane. :thinking
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”