OT: Goddamn billing (buh-bye Bell?)

Talk about anything that you would like.
Sparky
MAACA OG

OT: Goddamn billing (buh-bye Bell?)

Post by Sparky »

9 months ago I left Videotron for internet to go to Bell in order to bundle up and save on services. I never had a problem with Videotron but was paying 70$ for internet (20MBit or something like that) plus 50$ to Bell for the land line. My parents pay the Shaw satellite but they are moving out and Marie wanted a cellphone so I figured I would go to Bell and have one big package. For cell, landline and internet (5MBit) it came up to 115$ a month (27$ for cell, 50 for phone and 38$ for internet).

But lo and behold, Bell raised my landline bill by 25$!!!! No letter, no call, no warning. And on top of that, the Internet cuts out a lot. At least I got a letter from Videotron when they raised the rate even by 1$...

Heading for the Bell store today... Pissed off.... Then probably off to Videotron.

Man, these companies have us all by the fucking balls...

Rant done.
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

websherpa

Re: OT: Goddamn billing (buh-bye Bell?)

Post by websherpa »

Been there. Forget the Bell Store they are franchises or staffed by animations. Call Bell and ask for the Loyalty Department it'll save you a trip where the Bell Store employee hands you a phone and tells you to call the loyalty department. The loyalty deals change monthly, but Bell is desperate to keep customers, or so I found out when I called regarding my stupidly escalating mobile bill.

Atomicboy
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Atomicboy »

Screw them all. I cancelled everything, I'm with a local internet provider getting insane speed for $45 a month, Netflix and "other" for movies/tv, and company cell for phone. I will never go back to Bell or Rogers again, outright criminal organizations, flat out fraudulent liars.
WTB: nadda

monkeybug
MAACA Wacko

Post by monkeybug »

Atomicboy wrote:Screw them all. I cancelled everything, I'm with a local internet provider getting insane speed for $45 a month, Netflix and "other" for movies/tv, and company cell for phone. I will never go back to Bell or Rogers again, outright criminal organizations, flat out fraudulent liars.
Yup, can't trust them. They are on my do not trust list along with lawyers, insurance companies and politicians.

I agree. Go local for better service (if its available).

websherpa

Post by websherpa »

I would be there with independent internet provider (I already use talkit.ca for phone service and OTA HD for television) once Cogeco is forced to share their cable or Bell installs vibe. My experience was mainly related to mobile service but they can "loyalty plan" you on all accounts.

Right now my local suppliers only provide dsl and it's way too slow for me.

arctic
MAACA Silent Type

Post by arctic »

monkeybug wrote:
Atomicboy wrote:Screw them all. I cancelled everything, I'm with a local internet provider getting insane speed for $45 a month, Netflix and "other" for movies/tv, and company cell for phone. I will never go back to Bell or Rogers again, outright criminal organizations, flat out fraudulent liars.
Yup, can't trust them. They are on my do not trust list along with lawyers, insurance companies and politicians.

I agree. Go local for better service (if its available).
Yes, All very difficult and frustrating to deal with. At least Lawyers sort of look out for you, service companies give you something in return. Insurance companies are just in it for themselves, always looking to deny claims and screw old ladies and widows in the process. They literally serve no useful purpose to anyone, but themselves. All they care about is money.

Edit: It's not the companies, they are just things that exist on paper. What it is, is the the people. "Criminal, flat out fraudulent liars"

A

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

So I went to the Bell store. I grabbed the guy behind the counter, threw him my bill and told him ''I dare you to tell me that it's normal to pay 75$ for a home line, especially when bundled with 2 other services. You have 2 options... either I leave with a bill per month that was the same as last month, or I leave with everything cancelled. Your call.''

He freaked when he saw it. The best explanation he had after arguing with someone over the phone for a good 10 minutes was that ''my promo was over''... and then he managed to lower me back to what it was.

But I have lost confidence. I called a few people. My 84-year-old grandmother suffered the same fate as I did, including 7 others. No warnings, nothing. My grandma has had the same fucking phone number since 1963 and she just got slapped with a 23$ a month raise. Just classy...

I am shopping around now for phone, Internet and TV providers. Suggestions welcome.

arctic
MAACA Silent Type

Post by arctic »

Sparky, You signed up for a promo deal that had a time limit on it. It ended and your cost went up- it's hidden in the fine print. Check on time limits before agreeing to any other deals. Companies hide these details from customers the same way insurance adjusters nickel and dime people in an attempt to ruin lives. I have heard that some people actually enjoy that kind of thing. Sick if you ask me.

McMean
MAACA Chatterbox

Post by McMean »

Insurance adjusters... pfft. Don't get me started. My step-mother's house burned down, and they nearly nickel and dimed her to death... what a terrible crooked game. Pay your premiums and then when you're in distress, we'll show up and fuck you over.

On my do not trust list too, along with catholic union representatives. ;)

Daniel
http://www.pinballowners.com/mcmean
MAME, Double DK, NES-MAME, Robotron

OPL_EvilOberführer
MAACA Half-ling

Post by OPL_EvilOberführer »

http://www.canadianisp.ca/

ISP listings sortable by area with types of services offered, user reviews and links to ISP websites.

Helped me find "Distributel" in the Ottawa area.

It seems almost all ISPs disconnect now and then lately.

Make sure you install this http://www.peerblock.com/ if you use a bit torrent client.
The "BEST" pinball is the one that YOU love the most!

OPL Mar 2016 Tournament Results
http://opl-2015-2016.challonge.com/OPL_Mar2015

OPL 2015/2016 Consolidated Regular Season Results
http://tinyurl.com/OPL2016

World Pinball Map...Please help keep it updated!
https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play

novaguy
MAACA Half-ling

Post by novaguy »

Here's the answer
untitled.png
untitled.png (28.11 KiB) Viewed 1472 times

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

arctic wrote:Sparky, You signed up for a promo deal that had a time limit on it. It ended and your cost went up- it's hidden in the fine print. Check on time limits before agreeing to any other deals. Companies hide these details from customers the same way insurance adjusters nickel and dime people in an attempt to ruin lives. I have heard that some people actually enjoy that kind of thing. Sick if you ask me.
Actually, no! I specifically asked for no promo bullshit. And my rate of 45$ for my land line was pretty standard. I had been paying 48$ fro a few years before I bundled and went down 3 bucks. That's why even the guy at the Bell store freaked when he saw my landline bill at 77$!!! NO ONE pays that much!! Well, or so I thought...

Like I stated, my grandma was also played the same trick. And she had no bundle nor promo. 4 of my cousins had the same problem this month.

Seems that Bell enjoys raising the rates without warning, and see if people complain or not. Chances are most don't for a while, so they collect.

To be honest, the whole thing makes me sick. We are almost stuck buying their shit. We mostly all do our banking by the web, and a bunch of other stuff, so we need internet. My wife insists on having satellite TV (I personally don't give a shit about TV as most of it is garbage today).

Pay, pay, and then when you think you're done, pay some more.

Honey Badger
MAACA Wacko

Post by Honey Badger »

I have the exact same setup as you Aaron and I swear by it. All I pay is 41.95 per month for high speed unlimited bandwidth internet:)
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

pingmcs wrote:http://www.canadianisp.ca/

ISP listings sortable by area with types of services offered, user reviews and links to ISP websites.

Make sure you install this http://www.peerblock.com/ if you use a bit torrent client.
Interesting site! I have heard of a few in there, such as Teksavvy. I might require some help from the community though. Cable, DSL, dry DSL... I have no idea which is best...

:FP: No wonder most just go for the large providers...

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Heck, I am even considering reconnecting the Videotron cable myself to get the standard analog cable transmission. I am crazy enough to do it...

OPL_EvilOberführer
MAACA Half-ling

Post by OPL_EvilOberführer »

Sparky wrote:
pingmcs wrote:http://www.canadianisp.ca/

Interesting site! I have heard of a few in there, such as Teksavvy. I might require some help from the community though. Cable, DSL, dry DSL... I have no idea which is best...

:FP: No wonder most just go for the large providers...
Dry DSL...all the speed of "normal" DSL without the contract bullshit of a phone / cable company.

Besides, its always nice to inwardly chuckle when a Bell technician has to set up and test a dry DSL line so that a competitor can deliver service thru it.
The "BEST" pinball is the one that YOU love the most!

OPL Mar 2016 Tournament Results
http://opl-2015-2016.challonge.com/OPL_Mar2015

OPL 2015/2016 Consolidated Regular Season Results
http://tinyurl.com/OPL2016

World Pinball Map...Please help keep it updated!
https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Well, the research continues... hard to sift through all the bullshit. I did notice though that Bell offers the crappiest bundles, and everyone seems pissed off at their service. For my area, they offer the worst Internet service, by far.

Man... this is a lot of work...

gilles
MAACA Buck

Post by gilles »

OK Sparky

Option 1: move to France, a full package cost less than 30$ which includes 25MB internet, cable tv, land line phone and a cell phone
Yes I know we are seriously ripped off here

Option 2: Internet radioactive with dry line 50$ unlimited (ask to reduce your speed to get better QoS Quality of Signal, in order to avoid any drops, then VOIP your landline (freephoneline.ca) 50$ once and you can keep your phone number. For TV I don't have one but with unlimited internet, your wife can watch live tv through the net

Good luck, wish you won't move

Gilles

SkyBry
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by SkyBry »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've been with Bell all my life, and I'm seriously thinking of cancelling it all. I can get DSL high speed now from another company for about $50 a month, and I figure I'll get one of those Magic Jack type connections for telephone. Right now my bill is over $50 for a standard land line, and over $70 for internet. You would THINK that adds up to about $120, but somehow Bell manages to crank that total up to over $145 a month now, and going back over my payments, I see that each month it gets higher by a few dollars. This last month my total bill was over the $150 mark... completely ridiculous. I'm cancelling.

-Bry

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

I'm with Bell Fibe and my monthly bill is 233$ (taxes in).

I have:

- Standard phone line with unlimited long-distance calls (and my wife does a lot of them, whole family is out of town)
- Fibe TV with 2 receivers (1 pvr, 1 wireless). Standard HD plan + 15 channels + Super Ecran
- Internet 15/10 (75Gb, it is not unlimited but i never download that much)
- iPhone with 1GB data plan (the most expensive part of my bill)
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

John Jones
MAACA Half-ling

Post by John Jones »

WTF!!!
I have essentially the same setup as you except I have one extra receiver and DO NOT have
an iphone with data plan and I am getting hosed for $ 271.00 a month taxes in!

I was going to get rid of the residential line to cut back the cost as I have a work cell phone I
use all the time, but I think its time to cut this whole Fibe plan loose.....

John

Azatotht wrote:I'm with Bell Fibe and my monthly bill is 233$ (taxes in).

I have:

- Standard phone line with unlimited long-distance calls (and my wife does a lot of them, whole family is out of town)
- Fibe TV with 2 receivers (1 pvr, 1 wireless). Standard HD plan + 15 channels + Super Ecran
- Internet 15/10 (75Gb, it is not unlimited but i never download that much)
- iPhone with 1GB data plan (the most expensive part of my bill)
Stern Star Trek LE HUO
Stern The Walking Dead Premium
Stern LOTR !
Stern Simpsons Pinball Party
Williams STTNG
Williams FishTales
Sega Starship Troopers
Data east Star Wars 1.04
Data east Back to the Future
Sega Baywatch
Black Knight 2000

Vids: Dragons Lair
Aliens Extermination arcade

Lowrent
MAACA Half-ling

Post by Lowrent »

I'm with Acanac since 6 years.

Cable Internet : 480$ per year (10Mbps/1.5Mbps, plenty enough for me)
VOIP Phone : 119$ per year (all services, free long-distance us & can)
Phone is free the first year, that covers the activation fee and modem purchase.

That's 50$ per month, tax included.

TV : I have a Channel Master antenna on the roof, I get all I need for free (RC, CBC, TQ, CTV, Global, V, NBC, CBS, PBS)

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

John Jones wrote:WTF!!!
I have essentially the same setup as you except I have one extra receiver and DO NOT have
an iphone with data plan and I am getting hosed for $ 271.00 a month taxes in!

I was going to get rid of the residential line to cut back the cost as I have a work cell phone I
use all the time, but I think its time to cut this whole Fibe plan loose.....

John
I got that package after calling them a few times. I was on BEV Satellite before and had my internet with another company. Switched last summer.

It's amazing to see that prices are all over the place, there is no 'real' pricing with Bell, different for everyone...

I usually call them a few times a year to revise my plan too, usually saves a few $$ by grabbing the promos every 6 months or so.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

SkyBry
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by SkyBry »

I dropped cable and satellite a few years back, and went to using a media server that I just download the shows I want to watch to, for use by the whole family. Works great, and frankly I don't miss the T.V. channels. (So used to watching shows with no commercials now, I almost can't stand to watch regular T.V. anymore.) I set up an antenna to I could grab a few channels through the air, so I can still watch sports and the Superbowl, etc. (Advantage of my location is I'm so close to the U.S. border, I get their T.V. signals and get to enjoy the U.S. commercials during Superbowl...) All I really need is decent high speed internet... everything else can be worked through it. We only use our land line phone for occasional phone calls; I spend more time hanging up on telemarketers than I do using it for real calls. Email, texting, Skype and Facebook are pretty much all the communications methods we need in my family.

-Bry

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Well, my wife is the big TV watcher. And as for a home phone line, i get more telemarketing calls than anything else.

I was looking at ElectronicBox for internet and phone. Gonna check Radioactive tonight.

I must admit I am a bit ignorant concerning the types of Internet. I have seen the following terms:

CABLE (I suspect good old coax...)
FTTP (???)
DSL
Dry DSL

Confusing...

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”