THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Postby R.A.B. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:37 am

Slacker wrote:Hey Rob "philosophy and pinball together" I can see that as a daily thing. You walk into somethings just like starting a new game and think nothing of it, next thing you know you're doing great "High Score in sight" sometime you hit it and other times Wham! Straight down the middle or down an out-lane with no way to save it LOL The randomness of life plays its cards.... Here's hoping everyone gets more high scorers then the latter.
Cheers!
J..

It's crazy how many paralells we could draw between the game and life itself. (M.A.S.H. song from the movie applies)

- the ball plunger as coming into consciousness - ball in play
- the frenzy of youth between the pop bumpers and the sling shots
- the ball control as adulthood, using flippers to make choices
- the outhole as the end

Poetry in metaphors.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:50 am

R.A.B. wrote:It's crazy how many paralells we could draw between the game and life itself. (M.A.S.H. song from the movie applies)

- the ball plunger as coming into consciousness - ball in play
- the frenzy of youth between the pop bumpers and the sling shots
- the ball control as adulthood, using flippers to make choices
- the outhole as the end

Poetry in metaphors.

That's another angle to answer my favorite question from the marketing guy: George, Am I the ball?
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:57 am

cap wrote : That's another angle to answer my favorite question from the marketing guy: George, Am I the ball ?

You could be.

The ball could also be the essence of being, in other words. The randomizing element in your life. Infinite angles and shit like that.

"If you had perfect knowledge it would not be random, right ?"

Heather Kelley

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:45 am

R.A.B. wrote:The ball could also be the essence of being, in other words. The randomizing element in your life. Infinite angles and shit like that.

And it's not always the size of one's balls that make a big difference. I had a great deal of fun with my small balls tonight/this morning!

Game on!

20190118_235659.jpg
20190119_000553.jpg
20190119_003846.jpg
20190119_005642.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Last year around this time on the MDN page 39 11th post from the top, you can read and see pics of the whole version of the deal below.

If not, here is a partial post from that/this period, however you want to look at it. The crux of the matter I would say remains.

Things are beginning to repeat themselves again, so it may be time for another break from convention. Embarrassment is a sure sign that I am in the presence of excess, and occasionally that tastes and feels real good. Nowadays, in these sordid times of subtle control accompanied with the slow and soft erosion of personal freedom and liberating (i.e. negative) us from the responsibility that needs to accompany freedom for it to work, excess has thus become unpleasant for most. Good timing I would say for those who are winding things down, and this is a very large demographic indeed. Enough already, on a more directly informative note that you can use instead of trying to decipher the above thoughts and human condition stuff, I will not be at Alouette this week until Friday the 25th, so let's talk parts then.

Meanwhile, where is the next "prophet of WOW". The one for the upcoming generations which have already seen so much and know so much and seem dangerously beaten down by the fact that they know so much so early in their lives, and/or have turned into real assholes because they think they know so much about what they haven't lived yet.

Today was another day away from work. Yes, that's two this week, and I got to tell ya, I could get use to this very quickly. And by no means should one deduce, based on the above, that I am a lazy sod. I am more likely than not. Simply fed up with all those sterile screens, messages, prompts and ofcourse the regular routine which only adds to the crippling of our human abilities experienced daily at work in this insidious information age which is claiming an eventual victory over ignorance and that good things will result from this for all of humanity. That's great. I continue to believe that the latter will always depend on the moral fiber of those who hold high places when greed and power are also at the gate.

So you see, I am not lazy in the slightest, just simply wary of who I am selling my small choir of abilities to. I want to see their faces, know their families and especially, I need to know their values before we engage in any exchange of information or services or even goods. But this is now less and less likely to happen as we deal more and more with eachother through all sorts of on line tools and apps and media appearing efficient, but essentially they all do the same thing,- letting the oracle know about what we are doing next, and with who, and how and where. The skies above us seem cloudy today.

In "real" life, I called JamesShid this morning before heading up the Main before 9AM. We then picked up Jordan on the way to the North Star workshop and grabbed 2 sheets of playfield glass and the parts we needed to prepare the line up at the bar for the IFPA Quebec Provincials taking place tomorrow at noon. The plan was to do a thorough line up check along with some specific detailing to reduce the chances of the machines malfunctioning during this “grandiose” event. Hell, people were coming into la Ville de Marie from other cities and booking hotels for the night just so they could get some practice in at the North Star – Machines a Piastres tonight. These competitive players can occasionally be a savage bunch, and I wanted to make sure “the herd” was able to take the reaming.

By 1pm we were confident about the work we had accomplished and this felt pretty good. A certain adult satisfaction overcame me for a change. I locked up the joint and we all parted in hopes that the next day would be good.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:06 pm

Another week, another trip. Today's destination, Rimouski! A long drive, but always entertaining listening to the ramblings of people with questionable sanity on the radio. It seems that long gone are days of people reporting facts. These days, as long as you are seemingly entertaining, you are in the media. Seems like the old addage of shutting the fuck up if you have nothing nice to say is passé. LOL

Well, it has been a week of ups and downs. Great get-together with great friends this weekend, but overshadowed by my father being ill and in the hospital. Fingers crossed that he is on the mend. I went to see him Sunday and his spirit remains unbroken, which is slowly making him get better. Positive in the end, but nevertheless kinda makes me contemplate my own life and fear mortality. I intend to enjoy things more. Our time on this mudball is all too short...

... hence the get-together with the boys. A welcome and much needed distraction. And I appreciated it more than those fucking goofballs will ever know.

So... turn on a game and press start. Because we never know when the dreaded "game over" light will turn on for ourselves. ;)
Because I can...

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:03 pm

Well, despite my best attempts to stay offline...
My friends keep posting excellent things about our activities...

I wish that I had the "language" and control over my thoughts to write brilliant essays in response...
Alas, I do not currently have that ability to tell "great or even mediocre" tales or report gossip from the watercooler.

Everything I do is intense... Writing... Executing... Learning... Doing...
I find it absolutely impossible to do more than 1 thing at a time properly, let alone with any real flare of disclosure...

I have been busy "doing" things since the last set of "tales" was prevalent or even relevant here or anywhere else for that matter...
But; I am approaching the "tired" out stage of all of these current "doing" activities and the time to "report" these activities "all in due course" approaches soon...

Cheers.
Salut.

More soon...

Thank you my friends.
You know who you all are.

I owe you all more than I can ever repay.
But, I have some ideas... I hope...

All the very best...

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:15 pm

Had the opportunity to play a Stern Munsters Pro last night at shinynick's. Beautiful game. Nifty display.

Used to watch Munsters (and Batman and Leave it to Beaver) during my public school lunches at home. Fun and silly show. Herman is great.

But not overly impressed with the pin's gameplay. I'm still diggin' Iron Maiden much more. "RUN TO THE HILLLLLS ... RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIVES ..."

Game on!
Attachments
570828674.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:35 pm

"Sunshine came softly, through my, window today." That was the present earlier today in Montreal.

It will take time I know it to live in the present again. The same way we all did as children before school started to teach us about the all important future. :roll: The weasels closed in then, as they always have, but the consolation through my contempt for them is that they are in a futile loop as well, more so than those who see it imposed. Some of us will have the courage to break free from this indoctrination, but most of us will live with a constant fear of the future.

And so, It happens every a couple of generations. Too much abuse from the exiting gens which are now living much longer than ever before and are sucking up resources that rightly belong to the upcoming generations. This is causing a reactionary grab and an obscene need from the latter to grab at self importance as a way to differentiate themselves from "the herd". The illusion of individualism is growing exponentially and will eventually bring on a much deeper breakdown of the social consciousness which was always the necessary element in order to build a future. A future build on common values fueled by philosophical thought/questioning and creativity. But instead, we are stuck following the path laid out for us by the forces of the screwheads in hopes that the future will be better, it will not be for the majority of humans. Can we turn this around and work harder and make sacrifices to allow the fulfillment of a better life and state of being for the young instead of using them like fodder for the old ? Yikes, looks like this conflicting condition between greed and a chance at growth is likely to peak and fall in the 20's. I reckon that a major adjustment is on the horizon and it may not be pretty for the majority of us. So as part of the exiting gen, you can give up the greed of your ghost and live a deeper life, or invest in the very predictable behaviour of those that have been screwed to the floorboards. So get an on-line investment account at your financial institution and get on the bus to retirement before your prostate and ovaries rot into cancerous cells.

Yes we are in February, please let me have this moment tonight.

Thank you.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Nothing more to say boys and girls, hence I shall be quiet until spring because.....this is the season to be quiet.

Hugs to all you fools.

R.A.B.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Well, I am on day 8 in a row on playing at least a game per day. On today's menu, Stern Disco. Ugly yet elegant simplicity. I said I would play one game... turned into a half hour of fun.

Just having fun when I can. Our time is short on the Rock. And all work and no play make Sparkles a dull boy.

And resolution #2, read more. I want to rediscover Orwell's 1984. It makes me appreciate the little things in life.

Fuck it. Tomorrow, I am building a fort and a snowman. Lol
Because I can...

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Do it Ian!
And Robert...
More another day...
My beautiful brothers...

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 pm

I hope many of us know the true importance of this thread. It does connect us all.
It is far more important than the words we have said; and stated thus far. It is something far beyond that.

This thread has become; and "is' the essence of what maaca was meant to be.
This thread is a public statement of what so many of us try to do here, daily.

Online or offline. Live this hobby. Help our friends out.
That is all that this ever was meant to be me thinks.

Cheers. Salut.
More soon.

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 pm

I did nothing today.
I thought about pinball.

My machines do hate me.
Unless; I pay attention to them.

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Happy Valentines Day, HS!!!

My first pin, almost a decade ago. Whatta sweetheart!

MWA!
Attachments
20190214_154541.jpg

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:26 pm

OTTOgd wrote:Happy Valentines Day, HS!!!

My first pin, almost a decade ago. Whatta sweetheart!

MWA!

Congratulations. That one did not get away.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Fucking god-damn February full moon bullshit along with this kiss ass shitty up and down temperature wintertime is making it easier for me to behave like a shithouse rat. This is not good. That sort of rat is a nervous creature by nature and necessarily energetic as it remains the recipient to anticipating the next fallout. Not pretty, but that is exactly how I feel when I run into certain people at this period of the year. I feel like a sitting duck these days encountering others, never knowing when the bullet will hit.

And this uncertainty is dangerous at/in this age, could likely kill me, and in a way I wish it would, but being a fool, I continue to move forward in hopes for a better season. Always forward, and further with an eye focused on delight even in the darkest shittiest corners of life at this time of the year, there is delight somewhere, just got to see it so that it will provide enough "juice" to get you through to springtime. Seek delight.

I hate this period, nothing tastes good and everything seems to take more effort than it actually needs to in order to achieve even the slightest sense of success and affirmation from life which has taken to hiding somewhere via this season of death. Even what we normally want to get to, along with the results to follow, feel less than satisfactory by the mere context of these February winter doldrums. Let's face it, it blows.

So, lay low, cruise along with your head to the ground and avoid hurting others around you when they come on happy and positive, they may or may not have a clue, or maybe they do not want to admit that the days of wrath are getting stronger every winter, and one of these winters, there will possibly be a major adjustment of sorts. Who knows and who cares, live the present and plan the future with no assurances. Everybody is allowed to believe or not believe shit.

Hugs, and all my hopes for a bright month of March. Yes let us march forward regardless of consequences, despite the dirty slush of our times, a sort of protest in the face of darkness and despair.

Fawk !

Rob

Last edited by R.A.B. on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:37 pm

My son and I like cars!

Forced him to skip school so we could check out the hot rods. 8-)

Tried to make a new friend while we were there. She's hot. MWA!

... please don't tell my wife. :oops:

DSC02640.JPG
20190221_150433.jpg

20190221_115918.jpg
20190221_115921.jpg

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Winter can go fuck itself. I dug up the grill and I am having steaks and burgers for supper.

20190223_160006.jpg
Because I can...

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:59 pm

Currently driving across the country in interesting weather. I don't think I will share what I have seen on and off the pavement just yet.
Flew to Sydney NS and drove the 5 ton in 20 hours (with 2 drivers) and stopped outside St. Laz. Then you have to stop and sleep for 8 hours before you continue.
Then we can drive 20 hours again - (10 hours each driver) towards Brandon MB. Then repeat the above. Those are the new driving rules. Should keep the roads safer one hopes.

No time to have coffee on the Island of the Nuns or at North Star for Tuesday line checks and tuneups. (although I did think about it) No time to check on Sparky or the herd. the (so close by)
No time to stop and see Borderland crew or Silver, even though we will pass right by Hawkesbury. Ottawa and House of Targ will have to wait as well. Saw Josh a couple weeks back though.

Move west young man, keep moving west.
Cheers. Salut.

More soon.

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:43 pm

It would appear I'll be off of work for quite a while awaiting a new hip in the fall.....anyone coming down to The Guelph area, who needs a pinball fix, just send me a message. Most days I'll be in the mancave garage puttering on the herd.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Space Shuttle/Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Bally Circus / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco
Projects- Jolly Rodger/Stratoflite/Pat Hand/ Tri Zone
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:52 am

WARLOCK wrote:Currently driving across the country in interesting weather. I don't think I will share what I have seen on and off the pavement just yet.
Flew to Sydney NS and drove the 5 ton in 20 hours (with 2 drivers) and stopped outside St. Laz. Then you have to stop and sleep for 8 hours before you continue.
Then we can drive 20 hours again - (10 hours each driver) towards Brandon MB. Then repeat the above. Those are the new driving rules. Should keep the roads safer one hopes.

No time to have coffee on the Island of the Nuns or at North Star for Tuesday line checks and tuneups. (although I did think about it) No time to check on Sparky or the herd. the (so close by)
No time to stop and see Borderland crew or Silver, even though we will pass right by Hawkesbury. Ottawa and House of Targ will have to wait as well. Saw Josh a couple weeks back though.

Move west young man, keep moving west.
Cheers. Salut.

More soon.

Now there is the crux of the matter, especially during these dark days of winter when everything seems to take more effort than it should in moving your day ahead. Even when trying to accomplish the slightest task, it feels heavier than usual. So knowing this, you can lay back and wait til it passes, or get up and fight it by doing, moving, accomplishing regardless of how beat you may feel. To what end, none at all during this season, nothing real will grow until spring, so stamp your feet on the cold ground like you mean it, creating purpose where there is none is a damn good trick. You can not win against death, but you can cheat it several times while you are alive by doing and reacting to its' deadening effects on your lifetime. And everytime that you beat that weight, you create a little more light.

Rob

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:57 pm

So... I am in Steady Brook, Newfoundland. It is cold. It is snowing like crazy. And I couldn't be happier.

Yes, weather is always a factor in the influence of a person's mood... but so are the people around you. And here, in this place, often the butt of many people's jokes, are people that know more about humanity and good relations more than any people I know.

There is a fuck-ton of snow... "Well, yes boy... time to go sleddin'!"

It is cold out... "Come on over to my place and have a beer. Fireplace is warm and we got good food"

Stuff is breaking... "No worries boy. It'll get fixed."

Always smiling, always welcoming. Seriously, I want to move here when I retire. It is... serene. Peaceful, yet not boring. after a few weeks and act like it has been 10 years.

2 days and my batteries are fully recharged. God bless this place and the people in it.
Because I can...

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:13 pm

We do need to have our "antennas" up and receiving in order to recognize the subtle signs we get from the people, events and even the things that live around us in daily life. There are signs everywhere as to how we should lead our lives, the hard part is remaining receptive enough to grasp them. In these times (like many others that have passed) we are taught to be suspicious & even fearful via all the messages we get from those who want to control this big bad world. These are the clouds that prevent us from being open, seeing what there is to be seen & becoming vital and vibrant in our choices. But when you get rid of those clouds, boy, you are in for a hell of a ride.

The above is an old post from 2013, almost 6 years ago, it seems to apply on this beautiful sunny winter day.

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:25 pm

While taking my mom for a shopping stroll around Erin Mills Town Centre, I discovered an 'Arcades' where HMV used to be for years!?! Today is the first day it opened, apparently. And I asked where the pinball machines were and received an uncertain shrug 'n' smile from the youthful temp operator. And he wouldn't let us sit in 'Harry', the yellow sports car, together.

20190301_143723.jpg

20190301_143620.jpg

20190301_143353.jpg

20190301_143429.jpg

20190301_143410.jpg

20190301_143501.jpg

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”