THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Postby R.A.B. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:00 am

Thank you Warlock and everyone else who posts in this thread, it makes for an interesting record as the years go by.

Just as "Tales of Pinball Adventures" - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10989&hilit=tales+of+pinball+adventures
&
RAB's mostly Philosophical repair thread - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14426
&
What did you do in the hobby today - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2511&hilit=did+you+do+today

along with many more shorter threads that have ran strong on an idea, place or event, they are worth revisiting. Or just use the search box or advanced search to dig up something you remember. Some other threads are pretty short and funny and smart and totally dumb as well, the whole MAACA tamale in a way. They all remain records of sorts, places to revisit occasionally if you want to get a perspective on the process we are all living as the world changes and as we get older and crankier. Hopefully you will see an evolution in yourself and others, or maybe none at all, anyways, at worst it brings back some candy like memories and often much more to chew on. ;)

All this to say that I am making a conscious effort to post in the next thread idea I have come up with - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25875

As Scott and I discussed last week, good writing takes an awful lot of editing and work, even then I feel that I only come close to good writing one time out of ten posts. I am however my toughest critic, and that is OK. So I know that I have to put my energy & efforts somewhere else than the Daily News for now to bring up my post writing "batting" average. The new thread I want to share is big in my mind and soul and I realized that in a deep way last Saturday working on the road and at North Star for 12 hours plus. I saw and felt so much and writing that down is complicated, it was overwhelming. Yet I want to commit to getting this shit down for as long as I can stand it and by the same token share some of it in hopes that it will spark some of you to get "out there" and express yourselves more if you can, and more importantly, make a difference in a world that seems bent on conformity paving the way to obscene profit as some kind of end all, and I guess it is, - the end of the human spirit and imagination.

I hope you folks are going to keep posting in the Daily News as a start to exploring the world of expression via writing about whatever you deem important/fun/smart/silly/informative to share. This is an epic thread with so many possibilities, so treat it as a local community newspaper if you remember what those were meant to do. The difference with a thread like this as opposed to a real local rag is that the readers are geographically often distant from one another, and that changes the concept of "local", or at least its' definition. On the flipside, I think it helps to promote and allow a wider variety of concepts and perspectives flowing, and this will demand responsibility on your part. So keep judgement to a minimum and replace it with curiosity as often as you can. Because we age one inevitably gets more and more set in our ways and we need to work much more at staying interested in living with new ideas, pains and worries. Stay light and young and silly and funny at best when you get in trouble here or elsewhere.

Later,

R.A.B.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. A man needs something to do besides contemplate how crazy everyone has become in a world of overly exaggerated self-importance upheld and maintained by the new dumb.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Postby Sparky » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:30 pm

This sums up my day.

:FP:
Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Postby mrmikeman » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:48 am

Hope today is better for ya Ian!

:)
Current Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, custom topper, ColorDMD.
Road Show - full LED.
Stern JP LE#449(HUO) - Pinstadiums, custom topper, bunch of mods (Mezelmod).
NIB MMrRE coming Q1 2020 :shock:

WANTED:
LOTR
SW Prem

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running and soon to be on Kijiji :D
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Roadshow, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Postby Sparky » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:30 am

Adjusted hydraulic systems while laying down in the snow at -23C, not counting windchill, with no gloves (can't manipulate tuning tools with gloves). All because a factory decided to ship machines at the wrong specs. No work clothes (as the company states that I am not supposed to turn wrenches). I ruined my shirt and jacket due to getting oil and grease on them.

Got yelled at by parts people, because a parts depot decided to ship parts poorly packed.

Got yelled at by service people, because a tech department in the US decided to leave early for holidays. So, I answered everything.

Got yelled at by sales people, as they couldn't register their sales in our portal, as it is down, and the IT guy is not there (see previous statement). So, I had to manually do it.

Got yelled at by my wife as the Christmas lights aren't up yet. This weekend. Too fucking cold now.

My portable drive crapped out. I yelled at it.

My son got the flu, 103F. Just before Christmas.

The phone is ringing every 3 minutes, due to no one working except me.

Gotta go buy a fucking turkey and all the food for XMas, as I am hosting 48 people.

Uncle.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Postby Sparky » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:42 pm

Please disregard the previous message. I just played one game of Rolling Stones. And I rolled it on ball 2.

All is right in the world... because... pinball.

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Sparky wrote:Please disregard the previous message. I just played one game of Rolling Stones. And I rolled it on ball 2.

All is right in the world... because... pinball.

LOL I have to get back to playing pinball... I might clean the boxes on top during the holidays :FP:
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:10 pm

cait001 wrote:I want to give a shout-out to all the techs out there. In the last year my job life has really ramped up and my time for coin-op and repairs has withered to nothing. And the workload shows no signs of diminishing for at least a year.
I am so grateful to the people out there willing to take on my projects and try and bring them back to life. And normally that'd be enough to say about the pinball techs, but right now I have dispersed obscure coin-op machines to get fixed to three different people who were willing to take on the challenge. We're not talking about a basic shop job here.
one person is working on redoing a purely mechanical 1934 World's Series
one person is working on a 1970s Japanese Arrangeball machine, taking on some of the earliest solid-state board tech in Japanese coin-op.
one person is working on a 1960s German gambling machine!

I won't name names, but give a shout if you want to. I have been good at the hunting and coordination to bring these international odd machines to Ottawa, but I am floored by the enthusiasm and support of the people in this hobby willing to take these coin-op machines in and try and get them running again so they might be shared at future OPGS shows.

Revisiting this post to say that things have not improved at work, but I'm still super excited about the enthusiasm and hard work being done in the pinball community.
A new purely mechanical pinball project will be leaving my basement shortly for another member to work on and I'm very excited about it.

Shout out to JF, sylvain, sparky, xylog, semicolin, and all the other techs that help make the magic happen!
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), pajatso/payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1935 Cannon Fire, 1934 Fleet, 1935 Impact, 1935 Spot-Lite, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines, 1951 Universal 5 Star
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight, Star-Jet
marquees wanted: Varkon, Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Tutankham
collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”