THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Post by Fifty »

Sparky wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:10 am Wow! Another moving to NB! There will end up being quite a pinball community there!

All the best! And chances are I will throw you a PM for dropping in as I travel (used to, and will again) to NB regularly.

Where in NB are you moving to? Around Moncton? If so, you will be close to Magneto's place!
Thanks! I hope to participate as much as I can with the pinball community there. I've enjoyed the community here so much I definitely want to keep that feeling going.

Closer to Saint John. About 20 minutes away. The place is called Darlings Island, which is near Hampton. Give me a chance to settle in a bit and then I'd more than welcome a PM from you and a visit. I'm hoping to do up the loft above the garage as a sweet, sweet guest house for visitors but that's a while a way

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

English will follow.

Je suis au bureau demain (30 juillet) de 10hres a 15hres si vous avez besoin de quoi que ce soi au niveau des pièces et/ou d'autres stupidiités. :D

Montreal Pinball - 514-330-5555 (le numero d'Alouette est débranché pendant les vacances j'usqu'au le 16 aout) appeler avant de vous presenter.

Magasin en ligne - https://amusement.evolvo.com/index.php?id_lang=5

I will be at the office tomorrw (30th of July) from about 10am to 3PM if you have any parts requests or other things silly. :D

Montreal Pinball 514-330-5555 (Alouette's phone is off the hook until August 16th for the summer break) Call before showing up.

On line parts store - https://amusement.evolvo.com/index.php?id_lang=1

R.A.B.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

English will follow.

Je suis au bureau demain (6 aout) de 10hres a 15hres si vous avez besoin de quoi que ce soi au niveau des pièces et/ou d'autres stupidiités. :D

Montreal Pinball - 514-330-5555 (le numero d'Alouette est débranché pendant les vacances j'usqu'au le 16 aout) appeler avant de vous presenter.

I will be at the office tomorrow (6th of August) from about 10am to 3PM if you have any parts requests or other things silly. :D

Montreal Pinball 514-330-5555 (Alouette's phone is off the hook until August 16th for the summer break) Call before showing up.

R.A.B.

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

Sparky approves of Asteroid Annie....
Attachments
20210809_202511.jpg
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

English will follow.

Je suis au bureau demain (13 aout) de 10hres a 15hres si vous avez besoin de quoi que ce soi au niveau des pièces et/ou d'autres stupidiités. :D

I will be at the office tomorrow (13th of August) from about 10am to 3PM if you have any parts requests or other things silly. :D

R.A.B.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

FYI

Tomorrow, by exception the Montreal Pinball parts counter at 8505 Chemin Delmeade will be open from 13hres to 16hres. (usually 9 to 3). i.e Service call in the morning.

Weird times ahead, brace yourself folks, there is no telling what will happen before Christmas so -

"God Bless America, all except for California." -"Jerry Jerry and the Sons of the Rhythm Orchestra

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

I certainly enjoy beer and I finally found my Bar Brain! phew.
20210819_123657.jpg
254000501 (1).jpg

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

It is time to get back on the road.
Regular trips between cities resumes.

That will do for now.
All the very best.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

I do agree...
And, so...
It does...
Begin...

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

Ugh. This pandemic stuff has been a bit frustrating. Hunting for inspiration.

I need to upgrade my basement for MOAR happiness.

I need a pool! and rock waterfall! and satellite!! and waterproof arcade and pinball cabinets!!!
Attachments
20210914_151249.jpg

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

Sparky wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:11 pm
OTTOgd wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:31 pm Ugh. This pandemic stuff has been a bit frustrating. Hunting for inspiration.
OK.

I pulled out the Tehkan mini-cab last weekend and started taking measurements to cut new wood panels. I soon will be dropping off all the metal parts to have them powdercoated. I secured a nice monitor and will be assembling it with Arkanoid.

Going to your place soon after I am done.

Inspiring enough?
:shock:

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Due to a lack of human resources and services that many of us may be experiencing in one form or another as we navigate these days of wrath all the while simply trying to cope with the unforeseeable and deal with the squeeze from above as we are subtly coaxed to leave our fate in the hands of those who hold higher places, but still hoping that things will settle down to some form of comfortable normal near the end of this period of strife, - not a chance, hamsters in a wheel. Oh, never mind, I may well be wrong. :D

"And the days were not full enough,
And the nights were not full enough,
And life seems to slip by like a field mouse not shaking the grass."

Ezra Pound

Looks like we are headed towards even more of a void of what has now become rare yet the norm. However, this "thing" that has been made rare is still as necessary as it ever was. I can only speak from my own stomping grounds (Montreal), but I am certain that this need for gatherings and communication and acknowledgement applies anywhere human life roams.

Last edited by R.A.B. on Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

There will be no gatherings or events at the Montreal Pinball repair shop.

Thanks,

Rob
Last edited by R.A.B. on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Only home for a week or so now.
Medvet, Honey Badger, Sparky, RAB.

On the road again by Friday. (Yes, I love it.)
With VIP's onboard: To Alouette and Montreal Pinball.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

I am having a particularly difficult time putting into words what is happening currently within the context of what has happened to our world in the last 18 months or so...
Perhaps more soon on this topic... But: Perhaps not... I do not know yet... I don't yet "feel" the need to talk about it; nor do I care about my or any opinions on it. Currently: I just do things...

On the road again. (doing things) Get them done.
That is all.. (All the very best) Cheers. Salut.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Hey Folks,

I have to cancel the Pow Wow this Friday at the Montreal Pinball repair shop for personal and professional reasons. My apologies.

Rob

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Le grande sigh...

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

Playing lots of hockey, old man naps in the afternoon, and lots of pinball. How I envisioned retirement....
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Some of my thoughts after a nasty full moon blatantly occurring mid week. You do not have to read this if you got everything figured out.

I was laying low, reading alot of history but somehow still managed to learn something even though history tends to repeat itself. :lol: Chris Silver had sent me an e-mail about discrimination a week ago and I was too out of my mind to respond intelligently, so maybe this will help.

Crazy how when you are feeling happy about things in your life and realize that it can be augmented when a congruent context is there to support your experience. Even an inkling of joy feels greater when shared through a wider human scope than yours alone. On the flipside when you feel sorrow, it can be bared alone and you can suck it up if it is not too great, because given time, all things pass. But with happiness, (and that too can be fleeting) it needs to be shared in order for one to experience it on a higher level, unless you are a self-absorbed and a self indulgent person. Those characteristics over time have been known to eventually lead to sorrow for some ironic reason. (read Siddharth by Herman Hesse). Strange how openly selfish people are often very unpleasant to be around.

“To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with. ” Mark Twain.

Most of us can not control the wider context we live in, usually because there are many others involved and various random factors and differing values floating about. Yet what makes life interesting to live is when you do encounter others with various perspectives, randomness and luck. Yet, again ironically most of the mental health issues that so many people suffer from have to do with feeling disconnected from others. It is no coincidence that solitary confinement is a greater sentence than incarceration in a prison where we can see and speak with others.

Not accepting the randomness and diversity of the immediate world and this experience of being alive in a time and space we did not choose can also be problematic for most. We are seeing the effects when common folks lack human contact for extended periods of time, and we are also seeing an intolerance and anger from those who do not accept change and do not understand what necessarily needs to happen in order to get through the darkness of these times.

Sartre wrote in his 1944 play Huis Clos (No Exit) "Hell is other people". When I read this years ago, I added, ".... but paradoxically others are often what makes life bearable." I still hold on to those two quotes. Choosing "other people" to be with, work with, live with is key when possible, and when it comes time to part, it has to be for the right reasons which should ideally bring on a better situation, but often that is not the case because of our worse traits and instincts often "speak" louder than reason due to our animalistic stupidity. Basically what Lincoln called, "the bitter angels of our nature." they are now floating around in much greater numbers once again.

Therefore I think that it is important to keep an eye on those who have lost or are in the process of losing their humanity. They are most likely the ones who will generate conflict via their excessive greed, righteousness accompanied by an inability to admit fault. There will eventually come a time to confront them once again, and those recurring times in history can be summed up as our enduring battle with our own worse instincts and traits. Let us hope that the best of us will be there to stand up against these screwheads.

"People are crazy and times are strange." That Bob Dylan quote resonates, don't you think, even though he wrote it ten years ago.

Nobody talks much about how our human condition has taken a massive beating of late within this worldwide pandemic and how it has succeeded in reducing many of us closer to our animal base. So maybe we are more into a survival trip now as things get ugly again when we begin to see very real and concrete examples of people being subject to deep desolation and pain. The masses and media will respond with something like, "people are having a harder time lately dealing with the basic day to day things and it seems harder to just get by for average folks - hell, did you noticed that too ?" I think the best we can do is try to be prepared for more changes at a radical level. Radical meaning "of the root" - that is the etymological meaning of the word radical, who would have guessed ?

"Fuck it dude, let's go bowling."

OK, back to fixing pinballs.

Rab

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Indeed and Agreed...

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Chris Silver »

I find I’ve just been going with the flow. I wouldn’t say I’ve accepted my lot in life, but I am living on a raft in the ocean with no sail lately. I have been finding the time to enjoy the little things, plan out some good moments and looking forward to the future.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

All part of the grand scheme.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Chris Silver wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:08 pm I find I’ve just been going with the flow. I wouldn’t say I’ve accepted my lot in life, but I am living on a raft in the ocean with no sail lately. I have been finding the time to enjoy the little things, plan out some good moments and looking forward to the future.
AHhhhh,....you know Silver, you are one of my many favorite MAACA-o-lites, or should I say a clever and cautious author of some of the more thoughtful posts that stir me up enough to eventually have me respond over the course of a few days, thus overriding my better judgement to stay still during these troubled & anxious times. We (the old gang) are just hanging on by a thread anyway, aren't we ? Maybe this one, the daily news, possibly another, - yes, pun intended. Yet, I admit that I am quite happy to just hang on to this one for now since I have no machines to sell or buy or ask questions about, hell, I don't even play much beyond testing the repairs I do in order to earn a basic living.

The main "raison d'être" of this forum along with Its' "élan vitale" has been subject to change as all things have in the past two years. So it is no surprise to me that the world of collecting coin operated contraptions has changed as well. Most of what was the real fun of the hobby for us has been diluted and mostly lost for some since the hobby has turned back into a business and profit is slowly becoming the value instead of fun in some cases. Conversation, exchanging information about how to best preserve these artful objects has changed to a different tone. Add to this a pandemic that has broken up community and you have got fertile ground for the business minded to move in for the kill. Things will never be the same, business has a way of taking out what allows the better side of our humanity to prevail. I suspect that in 25 years or so, no one who is playing pinball out in the wild will want to collect these big bulky things. The condos that the next gens are buying are too small, they are closet like shoeboxes which will be their first homes. So maybe a few old cronies, (yes that will be you), will still have suburban basements full of these things and your kids and their kids will likely want no part of that. They will prefer the real estate you leave behind when they file you away in a seniors home that will be similar to the first home they bought, a shoebox condo. Tit for tat is how it goes. So what does it matter what we debate here, it remains academic, stuff to fill the air while waiting to fill graves.

But I digress.

The principle reason I appreciate you so much is that you are a no non-sense honest man at best, and as Monty Python would say, "...not at all stuck up". You are not even the least bit of a bull shitter, nor even much of an information manipulator. As for myself, I have been called many things over the decades. I particularly like "free thinking son of a bitch", uttered in a moment of exasperation by one of my bosses in the late 80's. More recently, I have been coined as a boisterous bastard with the mannerisms and values of a blue blooded philosophical buffoon. Hell, I like it, and would almost agree. Some people tend to avoid getting into debates with me either because they think I am a babbling fool, or because it may mean that they would have to acknowledge something that they have hung on to for too long and that any owning up to another way of seeing the world through discourse would necessitate a revaluation of their values, and we can't have that because we got all of this figured out, don't we ? Problem with believing that you got your values all in the right places has to do with the world continually changing from crisis to crisis under your feet and faster than hitherto throughout this pitiful little 100 year life spans we hope for. Getting to be a rough ride for those who never admit that they can be wrong while having to realize that truth is now becoming more and more of a whore and basically subserviently to the fat man who controls it now more than he ever was able to during the past 100 years or so.

Some people get indigent when the world changes and that can sometimes lead to reactionary behaviour on the part of some dumb dumbs. This is dangerous for many who are not offended or making up their minds on anything vital except which shampoo they are buying based on the coupons they downloaded on their phones last week. Hell, I know the feeling, but it is only a feeling and we have lots and lots of those throughout any lifetime we care to examine, but most of us don't question much and that is good for the marketing teams who want to know what you want and when and where. Sometimes I feel weary about where things seem to be headed, then I realize how absurd life really is and it all becomes OK in the present instant, especially when I turn off my phone or leave it at home.

So now that the world has changed radically in the past two years, it is likely no longer ours Chris. I assure you that the best place to be is sitting on the river bank just watching the river flow, even if it is now pathetically parading a wider array of shysters and followers. Would be wise to maybe avoid that "raft in the ocean without a sail" metaphor, since the latest generation of bull sharks are also out there in greater numbers and are looking for easy prey since they no longer need to harbour any sort of talent, since there are so many sitting ducks now staring at their phones. Concealing one dimensional goals under a veil of murky waters makes it obvious that there is less attention being paid to process, details, thinking and/or quality. Quality being the essence of a more meaningful and beautiful life, but quality demands dedication, attention to detail and letting go of quantity as a value and this is not going to happen when most enterprises sport a traditional and unimaginative business approach when trying to milk the masses of their individuality. That is not something these times are OK with, mass quantity and production is needed to make a significant "kill", and one dimensional screwballs are unable to admit fault even when they destroy what had up to now produced good results, just not big enough, so quality is not what they are after. Even when causing damage to the environment and sometimes even destruction to the latter, the means sadly continue to justify the end in short sighted thinking used by many. This is more dangerous than ever now, and what Hunter Thompson identified as "screwheads" back in the early 70's are now flourishing in the climate they have promoted while history shows that this build up of fear, loathing, anger, intolerance, prejudice and disdain will once again likely lead to them straying away from what is left of their very own humanity (or what happens to be left of it) via a hunger for something that they think is the end all and will save them from the crumbling of the system of common values, but sadly, what they have failed to grasp, is that there is no "end all", there never was. We are all vulnerable to various fates, even power is not an end, it is fleeting as all things are, and when you understand this you can no longer do harm. In any case our fate is sealed and it is sometimes known, sometimes totally random and there is little we can do to change that. Existence has made sure that we can not cage one unpredictable character trait, - what the French call "le hazard".

In the end, the goals are the bait. It is a pathetic trap to live only for material goals. Once you grasp that you are just another tool for evolution and that your life means very little, it can make some dumb dumbs feel cheated and they react badly and try to steal other people's lives & time as a compensation of sorts. Smarter people will understand that it is better to do less damage to others and just find a way to be humbly happy. Add to this the fact that lately life itself has taken on a bend towards declaring itself absurd once again via this pandemic, thus opening the door to many who are seeing the opportunity to rewrite value systems like they did a couple of times during the 20th century to suit the interests belonging to those who want to get more out of the lives of others, especially the lives of those who won't stand up to their advances and bait. The trick is to not want anything they want you to have.

And now with this latest worldwide shakedown via this real pandemic making many of us realize how useless what we once desired, aspired to and worked for within this market driven system was, it tends to leave people scrambling for new meaning making them vulnerable to any new truth that is offered up by so and so looking like a helpful hand. Maybe something else than consumerism will begin to matter, and it follows that the middle of the ocean is where it makes the least sense to be right now Chris. Lost at sea and being vulnerable is no way to live, and when you do manage to land on some shore they will also be there for you, attempting to give your life some meaning they have conjured up for you via a sense of ownership or false importance, lest we should accept it from a lack of will and then become fatter pigs wondering aimlessly in the forest. Again, the safest place right now is by the river holding a big stick and up high on a solid boulder so you can see the screwheads approaching.

Virtual Hugs from the edge,

Rab
Last edited by R.A.B. on Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

R.A.B. wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:02 pmThings will never be the same, business has a way of taking out what allows the better side of our humanity to prevail.
shout it from the rooftops
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

I have been "reeling" from the "state of the nation" for close to 20+ months RE: world issues.
I said this: That: A very long time ago; that this was a 24+ month issue before any "end endeavor".