THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Post by R.A.B. »

At the office after about 10 days away - happy to be back in Montréal from nuetral land.

Had lunch with Dominique Laniel last Saturday, now a Swiss citizen after 12 years of living there and tackling the back & forth of a brutal 168 page application that was finally approved. I hadn't seen him in over 20 years, and what I found exceptional was his emotional honesty to share the circumstances/stories/details that defined the last years of Laniel Automatic on Rockland road (1995-2002). I worked for/with Dominic from Feb.1998 to Feb. 2002 (Montreal and Toronto offices) and it was by far the best place I ever knew as an employee.

Via Romeo Laniel's grandson I got a different perspective about the demise of this 68 year old company, and what I understood at the time was only one small part of the story. I know that isn't saying much, and would seem obvious, but the undercurrents and low life business behaviour of the industry scoundrels of that time will never cease to amaze me. It was always an industry that attracted unscrupulous players, people who couldn't get hired anywhere else, and yes, for the most part, that story continues to this day. It has however become less volatile since gambling is not as much of a factor in the amusement industry as it was back in the day. Coin op revenues are now much lower, I have seen both sides of this industry and lived both sides to the tits. All I can say is that to this day the game remains colourful and I guess that is why I still enjoy it despite the many junkyard losers that continue to flog it without imagination.

We also discussed the possibility of creating something historically significant in Montreal to display/share/honour the best & worse years of the coin operated amusement industry in Canada right up to the beginning of the 21st century now that the stories can be told. We will see where this goes, but for now I have much writing to do about what I learned and many people to talk to who are still with us since they hold part of what I believe is one amazing god damn story. I consider it my responsibility to retell it.

Rab
Last edited by R.A.B. on Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:29 am, edited 8 times in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

welcome back! Glad you had a good time, can't wait to chit chat!
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

At the office today before Johnny the Baptist celebrations start tonight, so I need to tie up some loose ends, i.e. getting pending parts orders out and helping noobies and operators. Then, hopefully enjoy being closed for the next two Mondays, business cell off.

For now I am just sitting here quietly, content and thinking about all the good hearted, intelligent quality people in my life. Thank fate that there are so many more of them than the screwheads I have encountered since I first identified their vile, manipulative & envious dispositions around the age of 17. Now 43 years later I am happy to say that as of today, (I have updated that list recently) I can still count those types of scumbags on two hands, so that is good news.

On the flipside, I can not count how many decent straight up honest & amazing humans I have met throughout my life. I am quite relieved that they are still way too many to number, I am endlessly thankful for that.

One of those straight up, no bullshit people I have met on this forum sent me this quote a little while back, and in return I wanted to share it with some of the smarter people who still lurk on this forum.

“And there is no desire to argue with fools who do not act according to their age. And there's no time to battle the gray. I don't attend meetings where egos are inflated and I can't stand manipulators.

I am disturbed by envious people who try to vilify the most capable to grab their positions, talents and achievements.

I have too little time to discuss headlines - my soul is in a hurry.
Too few candies left in the box.

I'm interested in human people. People who laugh at their mistakes are those who are successful, who understand their calling and don't hide from responsibility. Who defends human dignity and wants to be on the side of truth, justice, righteousness. This is what living is for.
I want to surround myself with people who know how to touch the hearts of others. Who, through the blows of fate, was able to rise and maintain the softness of the soul.

Yes, I hustle, I hustle to live with the intensity that only maturity can give. I'll eat all the candy I have left - they'll taste better than the ones I already ate.

My goal is to reach the end in harmony with myself, my loved ones and my conscience.
I thought I had two lives, but it turned out to be only one, and it needs to be lived with dignity.”

Brilliant Anthony Hopkins
and free interpretation of Mario de Andrade’s poem.

Bonne St.Jean !!

Rab

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Bump for reference.

Parts office & showroom open today and closed Monday the 3rd of July.
8500 Chemin Delmeade, Town of Mount Royal.
8500 Chemin Delmeade, Town of Mount Royal.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

English will follow.

Salut les amis, les vacances d’été sont arriver malgré les temps précaire. Alors, nous avons décider (mon client de 90 ans et moi même) de fermer le bureau du 17 juillet au 7 août, en pratique ça ne veut pas dire grand choses excepter que c'est pas la meilleur idée de vous présenter ici't comme si tout est normale. :lol: Appler moi ou texter moi si vous avait besoin d'aide avec quelque chose.

Hi folks, - summer vacation has arrived in la Belle Province despite these precarious times. So, we decided (my 90 year old client and yours truly) to close the office from July 17th to August 7th which in practise doesn't really mean much except that you shouldn't show up here for parts and/or service advice during that period assuming that everything is normal . :lol: Call me or text me if you need help with anything.

Robert A. Baraké
www.montrealpinball.com
Bureau/Office : 514-342-9111 (Alouette - Pièces/Parts)
Cell :514-330-5555

Ana
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Ana »

Ce petit minou va faire un grand saut si j'allume la Nip-It :lol:
________
This little kitty will take a big leap if I turn on the Nip-It :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20230717_172537009.jpg
Liste de mes pinballs:
1- Nip-it, achetée en mai 2022
2- Picnic, achetée en juillet 2023
3- The Flip Side, achetée en juillet 2023 Elle est petite mais elle compte quand même!
4- à venir Miss Annabelle, en attente d'un vendeur :D
5- à venir
6- ... :lol:

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Happy b-day, Dan!

:cheerleader :drunk :cheerleader

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Ana wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:32 pm Ce petit minou va faire un grand saut si j'allume la Nip-It :lol:
________
This little kitty will take a big leap if I turn on the Nip-It :lol:
Very kind of you to buy a kitten-sized pinball machine for them!
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Ana
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Ana »

🤣 I having the same thinking few days ago. 😂
Liste de mes pinballs:
1- Nip-it, achetée en mai 2022
2- Picnic, achetée en juillet 2023
3- The Flip Side, achetée en juillet 2023 Elle est petite mais elle compte quand même!
4- à venir Miss Annabelle, en attente d'un vendeur :D
5- à venir
6- ... :lol:

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

Pins and vids are wayyy too expensive these days so I got a few substitutions. But they're not all 1-player!? :cry:
Attachments
20230918_180706.jpg

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

nice board games insta-collection!
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

OTTOgd wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:56 pm Pins and vids are wayyy too expensive these days so I got a few substitutions. But they're not all 1-player!? :cry:
That's amazing. Gonna have to send that pic to some friends.
Can you please lay them all together on the floor and take a photo of their covers?
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

This is my 2nd favourite "reading" spot...
On the move again soon for transport to MTL...

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

*chomp chomp chomp* 🤓
Attachments
20240131_221354.jpg

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

I've played the two pin ball tables at the Cineplex Junxion a couple times too. :oops:
20230929_222108-Stern-Dr-No.jpg
Cowabunga, dude!
20240223_214802-Stern-TMNT.jpg

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

20240303_195758.jpg
Not the first time and won't be the last. It'll take me a few more months to earn enough for the Nintendo Switch. :oops: