THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Postby Sparky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:02 pm

And today's lovely destination in Sparky's Canadian Tour is Corner Brook, Newfoundland.

It is 6C and there are still traces of snow on the local ski hill. BUT... the place is truly beautiful and the people here are as nice as can be.

I strongly recommend that you put visiting NL on your bucket lists. Especially if you like seafood like me. LOL
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

AMX
MAACA Death Knight

Postby AMX » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Mindstorm88 wrote:
C'est vrai que c'est le fun d'avoir des jeunes pour forcer !! :D :D

Méchant beau setup Bro !! :thumbup

Ouin, c'etait l'fun d'avoir un jeune a maison pour forcer.... asteur qu'y est parti, chu pogné avec juste ma blonde pis 300 lb c'est trop pour elle... a dit que c'est trop pesant dans les marche!!!!!! :FP: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Et oui, beau setup Robert!!! :o :clap :thumbup
Pinball
Pinball Owners.com/amx1
Jukebox
Seeburg DS, Seeburg AY, Seeburg 222, RockOla 418
Video
Star Wars + ESB, 1942, 1943, Striker 1945, Arkanoid, Arkanoid Revenge Of Doh, Spy Hunter, Aero Fighters
Arcade
Chicago Coin TV Baseball, Midway Haunted House, Chicago Coin Varsity, United Line Up, United Sure Fire, Bally ABC Tournament

FS: GOTTLIEB STRIKES N SPARES

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Went to Canada's Wonderland today! Beauty day. Behemoth is the best roller coaster, imho.

Only one pin in the 2 arcades I checked! Didn't have time to play. Looked dirty but okay.

20180611_222706.jpg

20180611_163043.jpg

20180611_173638.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Getting use to a new life these days. What a change. I think I am starting to feel & taste something like a high from the youthful daze, but without the drugs.

3 day work week, (i.e. employment) in an old time operators shop cautiously and intelligently building up their parts and service business and doing this in a time capsule that feels like the 70' and where I can be myself. Perfectly OK with that and totally trusted to do what I do there. Add two days at Montreal Pinball fixing a wider variety of pinballs than ever before and meeting people with amazing stories about their relationship to pinball, plus one big day at the North Star and it's shop on Saturdays while remaining available to this personal investment in case there are problems that my apprentices can't get to or fix before the evening starts. Maintenance keeps the problems at a minimum. Failures will occur, that is what they do, you can only minimize them if you have the acumen to spot weaknesses. I have that now, in my life and when it comes to pinball. That is why the machines are running properly for the largest majority of the time under heavy play at the North Star and its locations. And that is one philosophical point I wanted to touch upon in this post. It is because of the maintenance we need to do that we can have a chance at good things in life. Maintenance is key in life as it is in pinball, don't ever forget that when you got something you want to hang on to. Anything or anyone you are passionate about, maintenance is key damn it ! Yes, it can get boring to do the work, but it makes it all worth it when you know that everything is running properly in a world where things are always due to break down at one point or another and eventually fall apart, and/or separate from each other and become something else etc. You are constantly trying to minimize entropy once you get over the growth hump when you do maintenance. The "growth hump" is the most exhilarating part of a project, or any new relationship and even life itself for that matter. It just feels more difficult to produce the "growth hump" when you get past the half way mark in your life since you begin to know deep down that you can not be allowed to win against the way things are. The end is necessary for some evolutionary reason, so do what you can to say that you accept and understand this. You are still allowed to have a voice, and beginnings are the most wonderful thing, hence our innate desire to make something new come about even in lieu of our diminishing capacities or even in a context which no longer makes sense to us.

Yes, I believe that I have drawn the life I wanted so far, with a few mistakes I can now accept as necessary as to where I am, so I can truck on in peace. I have reached a plateau, and I now practice fierce maintenance at 55 by protecting what I have worked for, all the while learning to pace myself when it comes to new goals suited to my present capacities. A working person's life is not just about money equaling success, money is easy to get when you follow the rules of the times, any dummy can do that, and they do, but it remains an empty goal in the end. It is basically an illusion when it comes to feeling happy. On their deathbed, "What, my life is over and all I can do is buy shit." For many it is it enough and OK. Those people don't always have a lot of interesting things to say and I personally could never connect to these unimaginative people on a human level, albeit some of them appear to be nice enough people for the most part. This gig, which usually lasts under a century is about being, & more importantly finding out who you are, and doing what that is, that's it, that's all. You may be a moron, an asshole or you may be a genius or just an easy going person, but you got to be who you are to have a chance at being happy from time to time. In my case, an ideal work life allows one to do what you do best, not what is necessarily dictated as the path by outside influences or your education. It takes balls to do this, to not follow the provided path and search for something else, then again it may be very obvious to you, I don't know.

Even though balls only cost a couple of bucks each, they will not guarantee you success if you don't deploy them. I am patting myself on the back here, hope you don't mind,and if you do, we can put on the boxing gloves and you can explain to me that your values are more real than mine by simply punching me out. :lol: I can still get back up for now, so let's do some thinking instead before acting.

Finished a shop job today on a BLY Hocus Pocus for a new Montreal Pinball client who hauled it over to JamesSchid's work space a couple of weeks ago. Today we reached that plateau where everything works well and now we have to play the hell out of it to get the weaknesses to show up and fine tune it to play the best that it can considering that the client found it in the trash and it was hacked and painted and run down. I make it clear to my home service clients that I do not do superficial aesthetic work, but I guarantee them that it will play to the best of its capacities. The interesting thing about this client is that he thought he had a very special pinball worth thousands and thousands of dollars, so I set him straight and told him that his bill would then be in consequence if he kept talking like that. Ofcourse I am charging him fairly because he seems like an internet dodo and I feel sorry for such people. This is another point I wanted to touch on in this here lengthy post.

1st premise is that most people are stupid and will go with whatever information is convincingly provided on line and elsewhere. Asking questions on-line is a shoe in for most people. The person will then interpret this information whether it is tainted to some end or not by who supplied it. Regardless, this already subjective information is then subject to go through some more interpretation via their minds' filter and eventually comes to a conclusion at the other end of the equation and is still held up high as truth. (Yes, I know I do the same thing sometimes) but I really try to base myself on what I have observed and not what some other human I have never met or some faceless corporation said or wrote and which came up in line on a google search because lots of people like what they read and it suited their need for a quick answer. And since we are in a hurry about our lives in general, a quick answer feels good when someone or something has got us on the run by our being prompted in being reactionary and confused. There is nothing easier to control than a person looking for a quick answer, or better yet when they are at the mercy of a belief. There are no answers, there is process and failure and surprise and sometimes there is success. You will know it when it hits you in the forehead like a hard diamond, and the pain will feel good in a way. Truth is part of your experience and can not be obtained intentionally from people who you don't even know you, or you them. Add to this your interpretation of what you did not live first hand and you will often have something else than the right answer, but it will sound good to you at first. So the latter in most people's lives is as close as they will get to a truth. Why not trust yourself instead, trust the long and painful process of learning and intelligence (which is likely a combination of memory and discipline) to get to where you are going, to being yourselves in the best way possible whatever that may be. This is where I understand what people mean when they say that life is too short. It does take a lot of time to learn something by experience, so for most, it is easier to be spoon fed and try to sound intelligent and knowledgeable. This may explain the recent surge in dodo birds walking the streets and looking at their phones, they are the new smart and are easy to render needy. Just where "the man" wants them.

20180612_210357.jpg
Francis Ford Coppola made amazing thoughtful films and equally good wine.

20180511_132953.jpg
A place to hone your work skills and be what you are.
Attachments
20180404_191427.jpg
A place to reflect and write shit down.
20180421_101128.jpg
Those you know and care about are key to being more than you can be alone.
20180524_130031.jpg
Build and build and build in order to express yourself.
20180520_192754.jpg
Be thankful and silly until the very end.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Back from Newfoundland. Rough week. I find that I have less energy to perform 65hrs of work in 5 days with extreme stress the whole time as much ad I used to. I even did a mental trip to that little dark place in my mind that I really don't enjoy. But a 1hr drive around the beautiful city of Corner Brook with the windows down on the Ford Flex rental and the phone turned off for the trip helped pull myself out of that mental quicksand. And hearing Tokyo Rose by Idle Eyes on the classic rock channel with the wind in my hair, windows down, arm hanging out and just not giving a flying fuck about anything for 60 minutes recharged the batteries a bit.

But one thing has been trotting in my mind... no time for pinball. I have been wondering if it isn't just time to pack it in. I had 7 days in the last month that I was home... and they were spent on Pincon. No regrets about that.... just that I seem to have less and less time.

And just when I felt it was about time to consider dropping texts to my inner circle to sell off more games, I see this while dropping my daughter over at a friend's house...
20180616_160300.jpg

Hmmm....

Damnit... yes, my dream still lives.

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:02 pm

PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot (loan), BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Paces Base Ball, 1931 Paces Whiz Ball, 1932 BLY Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: 1930s bagatelles, スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:37 am

Nice to have more members post here about what is going on in their lives. It makes for good reading (and pondering) in the morning knowing that others are trying to make things happen through the measure of what they do and who they are.

Rob

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:12 am

Father's Day and 34 degrees???

Pool day.....
PINS- Target Alpha/ Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Sonic Butterfly/ Combat/ Flash Gordon
Saving- Space Shuttle/ Black Jack/ Space Odyssey / Beat The Clock / Strange Science/ Disco 79/ Sky Kings

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Off work early on Fridays. I would have been especially thrilled in the past that this is a three day weekend in Quebec. Don't get me wrong, I like time off like anybody else, but somehow I feel better about going to work these days.

It is summer in Montreal and I head to the North Star right after 3 pm just after chatting with Warlock from my new post. Needless to say that the North Star wasn't open yet so I snapped a few pics that really made me smile. I think the plants really make the seating space feel like summer.

Bonne St.Jean !

Don't pass up the relax time. Live, breathe and look around you.

20180622_164334.jpg

20180622_164346.jpg

20180622_164357.jpg

20180622_164408.jpg

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Got the 5 machines back from the fire......going to be a busy weekend. Stripped all the parts of Supersonic in the driveway as it stunk too bad to even come in the garage. Star Trip is done and now to start the decontamination of Space Shuttle....
PINS- Target Alpha/ Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Sonic Butterfly/ Combat/ Flash Gordon
Saving- Space Shuttle/ Black Jack/ Space Odyssey / Beat The Clock / Strange Science/ Disco 79/ Sky Kings

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Great speaking with you today Robert. Talk soon.

Fire? What Happened? I missed something.

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 pm

I had a fire 8n the man cave at the end of Feb. Sinbad totally destroyed and Supersonic mostly destroyed.
Star Trip, Space Shuttle, Space Odyssey, and Black Jack were written off but fixable........well the cabinets will never be the same but I'll keep working on them.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Got everything working tonight except Black Jack.....lights up but wont boot up.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:31 pm

Today was weird. Day off, well sort of.

Did some work at the North Star and at the shop 'cause I hit a sort of down in the early afternoon. Took care of a bunch of personal stuff before that, and that felt good, but the tasks only took up part of the morning. Afternoon and evening looked too empty for my taste so I hit the road, tool box in the trunk.

There is a major heat wave heading our way and I was never known to be too sharp in that type of temperature, so let's get stuff done now I reckoned, while I am still coherent.

Fuck it, the world will do what it wants, yes it will so beware. One must move in and through it somehow.

"Train of pride, train of heartache
Train of twisted self-esteem......your riding on the train of dreams."

Mack Mackenzsie of the Three O'Clock Train

Saw them at Barfly near the North Star last Friday night, and man, people can say I live in the past all they want. Well maybe they just don't get it, or maybe they had a shiity life so far. I had a great past and it sure as shit makes me feel good once in a while to revisit it. I am not afraid of re-visiting it when I feel crappy about the present, a present that isn't always the one I have drawn for myself. The world is changing again and faster then I have ever seen it change in half a century. Hell can be others, and that yoga type of acceptance and mindfullness doesn't always cut it for me. Sometimes it feels like a pathetic way for many of us to cope instead of trying to change things. Maybe change is not the answer and resignation is the order for these times of anxiety. I don't know, but I do know that I am not done yet.

Rab

The following vid was shot on Pitt street on the fourth floor, (do you recognize the heating pipes & the windows ?) I bet you old timers didn't know that there was a fourth floor beyond unit #303, an attic type space only accessible through a steel staircase near the freight elevator # 2. It is actually the space where the heat from the foundry was let out back in the 1920's through the 60's. Makes for a great practice place.

The full album I use to spin at CRSG when it was just a test pressing which I actually stole until the program director finally caught up to me and my beaver hat.

Cowpunk at its best from the Montreal alternative music scene in the mid 1980's. 30 + years ago, wow. Life is long. Train of Dreams is the first song, worth a listen.

pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight

Postby pharoah007 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:05 am

R.A.B. wrote: You may be a moron, an asshole or you may be a genius or just an easy going person, but you got to be who you are to have a chance at being happy from time to time.

Well said RAB, I live by this. Personally, I can care less what or who people think I am and live my life.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 am

pharoah007 wrote:
R.A.B. wrote: You may be a moron, an asshole or you may be a genius or just an easy going person, but you got to be who you are to have a chance at being happy from time to time.

Well said RAB, I live by this. Personally, I can care less what or who people think I am and live my life.

Yeah, I understand and agree with that when I am alone. The above statement will be affected when other people become part of the equation. People and events are not going away except when you can meditate them away. Others and events are the variables that will affect who one is at base whether we like it or not. Adopting a non-judgemental attitude is often best since there are so many variables around us and if we think about all of it we can easily become anxious and overwhelmed, yet it is so difficult not to judge because of our education and environment.

All I am saying here is that being oneself will no doubt often have unforseeable consequences when interaction inevitably occurs in our lives, and it will.

Have a nice day everyone.

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:10 am

Above all else, to thine own self be true... (Shakespeare - a rough liberal translation)

Except when interacting with others... when you will be what you need to be... (Warlock)

You gotta do what you gotta do, in order to get to do what you wanna do... (My father's wisdom)

A philosophy of doing... (R.A.B.)

pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight

Postby pharoah007 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:47 am

R.A.B. wrote:
pharoah007 wrote:

Yeah, I understand and agree with that when I am alone. The above statement will be affected when other people become part of the equation. People and events are not going away except when you can meditate them away. Others and events are the variables that will affect who one is at base whether we like it or not. Adopting a non-judgemental attitude is often best since there are so many variables around us and if we think about all of it we can easily become anxious and overwhelmed, yet it is so difficult not to judge because of our education and environment.

All I am saying here is that being oneself will no doubt often have unforseeable consequences when interaction inevitably occurs in our lives, and it will.

Agreed.

I judge and discriminate every minute of my life. This is how I surround myself with things/people I want to associate with.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:18 pm

pharoah007 wrote:
R.A.B. wrote:
pharoah007 wrote:

Agreed.

I judge and discriminate every minute of my life. This is how I surround myself with things/people I want to associate with.

Yes, we all do, but sometimes you have to deal with what you had no say in encountering, that is the toughest on us and acceptance becomes key.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:14 pm

I take it in a different way.... someone once told me something that stuck with me...

"Stagnation is death."

If things do not evolve or progress, they die. We must strive to move forward. If we don't, someone will do it for us. Hence why that is the only thing I wish to control. If I evolve or not. As to what factors make us evolve, well, sometimes the thing or person that helps us the most are the ones we don't necessarily find comfortable to be around.

So I rather try, get an idea, and then decide yes or no. Not to block off right at the start. And even then, sometimes, a revisit is not a bad thing.

Case in point, I fucking HATED Jungle Lord as a kid... I LOVE it and appreciate it way more now.

I choose to deal with "certain people with limited capacities" at work today (i.e. fucking idiots), yet get paid well. With that, I get/fix more games. Fair trade.

And that is as philosophical as I can get on this day.

Sparkles

PS: My deep thought of the day, relative to my work:

"Something moving fast and carelessly will never win against something steady, sure-footed and immobile. Ask the excavator riding on a truck, when it hit the overpass at 100kmh because the operator didn't secure it right. "

IMG_0140.jpeg

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Well my brother's, younger and older...
I'm glad we are back here where we should be...

Discussing what some know about and other's speculate at...
We have picked up the pen; while leaning on the sword, and are progressing again...

cdnpinballer
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cdnpinballer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Acceptance is key. Especially accepting situations that you have or had no control. Possibly the Keyest of keys.

So is forgiveness, another key trait. And moving on and on.

"I don't live in the past, we're not headed that way." (some guy said that one time).

"You may not know it now son but everything happens for a reason, trust me, you'll find out why soon enough". (some other guy said that one other time)

Enjoy the heat wave guys, I'll be snowing in no time...

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm

cdnpinballer wrote:Acceptance is key. Especially accepting situations that you have or had no control. Possibly the Keyest of keys.

So is forgiveness, another key trait. And moving on and on.

"I don't live in the past, we're not headed that way." (some guy said that one time)

I understand everything Lee wrote or quoted above, but man, when I see where we are headed without really knowing anything at all, living in the past sure as hell feels good to re visit when you feel that where we are headed is going to take a busload of acceptance, forgiveness and faith to just get by. The thing about the past is that you can't change it and it won't mess you up as much as the unknown since you can change its (the past) meaning and sort of control it. You can control the present to a certain extent, but the future, forget about it baby. That is the tense you have the least control or influence on, and that may be why many many people are having anxiety issues and why yoga and meditation are much more popular in the western world than hitherto, especially with women who are the first to usually detect trouble since they are the ones who keep this story going for the most part and are the guardians of the future in a way while alot of powerful men are very good at destroying it. Did l just say that ? The future is precarious, so men plow and women sow. Did you know that some animals don't reproduce if their environment isn't favorable. Well, ..... go figure. Not alot of new kids on the block these days in America.

Please read the above with a grin. I am just having fun speculating as I sit at the North Star, a comforting place for me that makes me feel like I can control part of the past and the present making me feel ok. Making this place real for shits and giggles and reasurance was important to me. I can see that people have not changed when it comes to having fun regardless of what seems to be a wacky age we are living in. We still all believe in having fun regrdless of the acknowledged past, the flux of the present or the unkown/uncertain future.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:47 pm

I'm an eternal optimist despite any cryptic posts of the past, and the future.
And I will lead towards a direction that is a sunrise or a sunset, when required.

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:52 pm

And I wish and long for the "stool at the North Star" that eventually will come...
I love progression; "Sparky bro" and your enthusiasm of youth, and technical prowess...

That prowess and the love the "philosophical chair" of our eldest brother R.A.B. drive me forward.
There are many more of us, dozens, perhaps "ah" 100-200-300 of us or more that are brother's progressing, at minimum...

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”